Bring back "SEARCH" for all members?

Should the search feature be available to all members, both paying and non-paying?

• Yes, search is a valuable tool and should be available to all!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, why should free members have the priviledge of searching posts?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Bring back "SEARCH" for all members?

I tried to search for a post that was a while back, and guess what. Now you need to have a paid membership to be able to search.

There are a lot of reasons that TNET is the number one Metal Detecting Forum. The features drive membership. If you cut features, then membership will drop off. In the end it costs members and lost revenues.

Remember, Features=traffic, and traffic leads to membership. Memberships lead to revenue. If you cut features, you will begin to lose traffic, and so on.

Myspace would not be where it is today if they charged for features. Classmates.com could have blown Myspace away years ago, but they made one mistake. They charged for features.

Unfortunately, due to financial reasons, I had to let my paid membership lapse. I still contribute in many other ways to the forum , and will become a paid member in the future.

Bring back search for all members!!!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bring back "SEARCH" for all members?

due to things in my life I am not in control of I am not in a position to subscibe even tho I truley luv this site an the people here ,I have made new friends gain a ton of knowledge ,I'm not trying to be a mooch ,I plan to become a member when I can afford to but for now day to day is a job .so I guess what I'm trying to say is not every non member here is looking for a free ride some will ofcourse but there are those that just cant do it in todays economy .

PS I have tried to do searches also an kinda thought it sucked that I couldnt as a free person.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I'm sure there are many of us who post stupid questions that have been asked and answered many times, like "how do I take my detector on a plane?" That must tax the server too.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300

It All Has To Do With M O N E Y ! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please, I mean no offense, so take no offense, in these times I understand being strapped for cash. If guests and members want to enjoy all that TreasureNet has to offer, then members need to donate to help keep TreasureNet what it is. The cost to be a charter member is a very small price compared to what you get. It works out to be about .38 cents a week, and it helps Marc run the site.

Like SWR stated searching all posts puts a strain on the search engine.

This site has a wealth of detecting and treasure knowledge and is well worth the tiny cost of .38 cents a week to be a charter member year to year.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I noticed that TNet is not coming up as often in Google Searches...Coincidence? That would mean less people discovering TNet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First 3 pages of Google search I just did for search word "Treasure Net" has 12 links for TreasureNet.com including top 3, when I did search for just the search word "treasure" 3rd link on first page is TreasureNet.com.

I would venture to say that is good, if someone can't find TreasureNet on a Google search they got bigger problems.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

Limiting the amount of people who can search is like limiting the number of people who can use the library or go to the bathroom during brake.

No problem. While your using the privite search engine, I will be on a privite hunt that your un-aware of.

You being in a members only club does not bother me in the least. I have just as much hunting space with or without a members only club. And the best part about that fact is that there are no members only people on my hunt. AND... their not giving me their rules to hunt by.

Am I OK with that...You betcha I am.

I never was one for having a secret hand shake with someone telling me...I got your back. I got your back, is that so? Then what am I the one complaining of a back ache if your the one walking around with my back? Go figure.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I pay to help the site out and am glad it allows me to search easily here.

But, I wish you could all search, makes no difference to me, and I doupt that it strains the server too much.

I am willing to search here for anyone who asks, and have done so often...

It's one more available option if you pay 20 bucks... I'm not too sure it's about being "in a club". ::) I mostly think it's available to help convince folks to throw a little money down - this is a business after all.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

My statement did sound off like it was a privite club which isn't the case. I was letting others know that if "I" did not want to pay for the service then I can sit on the out side trying to look in or I can move on with life and live it to the best of my ability without the service.

I actually agree that there should be services that are free to the forum and services that are advanced enough that the forum can charge a nominal fee for all the reseach that the moderators had to come up with on their own. After all, this website costs a bundle to operate and if I want the advanced portion of the service then I can expect to pay for it. I'm just saying that I'm not in the possition of wanting that service for now and might want it later.

It's great to be opinionated, what a life.

K

Kentucky Kache

I would like to see it given back to everyone.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used

I would like everyone to see it also. I read treasure hunting magizens for free at the library. If I want a copy for myself, then I go to the local story and pay for it. Wow, I can read it for free or I can pay for a copy of my own.

I don't mind paying for the research to get a personal copy. I'm not paying for it now when I can go to the library and sit around without the store clerk charging me. In this case the website has a store where we're being asked to pay for a particular service.

That's my opinion on the subject and if the web owners and moderators have a statement on this subject then I would be glad to go along with their statement. I believe I touched off two points of view on the issue and probable struck some nerves along the way( sticking nerves was not my intention) but I definitely would like to see everything on this website and see it for free myself. But if I have to pay for a piece or two of information, so what. Some times services cost and sometimes they don't.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

You're paying for the library copy too... through taxes/donations... someone is anyway.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't get it....

I want it all for free. Too bad for the people that have to actually pay for the website, pay for the bandwidth, pay for the design programming and on and on and on... After all, they owe me because I am.

What's going on with our nation here?

Some stuff is free.

Some stuff is not.

You can't use my truck for free, just because you want to. You can't use my boat for free even if you feel you deserve it. Go tell Delta or United that you deserve free tickets. Your a resident of a community, the football tickets should be free, along with the concerts, water.... heck, the electricity should be free too.

Free everything!

Whoo-hooooooo!

~sheesh~

K

Kentucky Kache

GIB said:
I don't get it....

I want it all for free. Too bad for the people that have to actually pay for the website, pay for the bandwidth, pay for the design programming and on and on and on... After all, they owe me because I am.

What's going on with our nation here?

Some stuff is free.

Some stuff is not.

You can't use my truck for free, just because you want to. You can't use my boat for free even if you feel you deserve it. Go tell Delta or United that you deserve free tickets. Your a resident of a community, the football tickets should be free, along with the concerts, water.... heck, the electricity should be free too.

Free everything!

Whoo-hooooooo!

~sheesh~

And you said all that because you have FREEDOME of speech.

What bothers me about search not being free is that, when I first became a member it was free. Then it was taken away. Like you said, some things are free, and the search feature was. Now it's not. Those of us who would like it to be free again, while we may not deserve it, I don't think we deserve to be called freeloaders either.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

We have struck a VERY delicate balancing act between a server that WORKS, and a server that DOESN'T.

Many of you will remember times when the server was so taxed (by ALL the features, but MOSTLY, the search engine) that it wasn't responding AT ALL.... for ANYONE! >:(

A couple dozen users running searches at the same time can bring the server to it's knees.

I'm sorry, but this was a decision that was necessary.

Now, if someone wants to cough up the bucks to get a dedicated search engine server, I'll reconsider it!

Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
I noticed that TNet is not coming up as often in Google Searches...Coincidence? That would mean less people discovering TNet.

Yeah, and what would THAT have to do with whether or not non charter members can run searches with our search engine?

COULD it be a change in our meta keywords or descriptions?

COULD it be (unfortunate) duplicate content?

COULD it be a change in google policy? (such as they would like major sites like TNet to advertise there? We still have over 50,000 pages indexed there!)

Do you think we WANT fewer pages indexed at Google? (If we had more charter members, maybe we WOULD advertise there! :wink: )

Believe me - it has NOTHING to do with whether or not regular, non-paying members can run searches here! In fact it is QUITE the opposite.... google, and other search engines are able to index much more efficiently when the site is NOT bogged down!

Unless you know what it's like to actually maintain a site with over 1.6 million posts, PLEASE don't tell me how to do it. It is VERY frustrating at times, when even the simplest maintenance tasks bog the server down. (I hope you don't notice it TOO often! >:() To suggest we should open up search, chat, galleries, postings, polls, the games arcade, the portal, the real time posts, and every other feature under the sun to non paying members - but ESPECIALLY the search engine.... is naive!

I'm sorry for venting... but there are times when it seems no matter what I do here - NO ONE is happy!

Remember - TreasureNet runs on a SINGLE server.... serving THOUSANDS of people and one hundred thousand + page views EVERY DAY 7 days a week, 365 days a year.... (not to mention all the images, and MANY, MANY other queries) I find it remarkable it works as well as it does.

Thanks to all of you who do spend the 5 1/2 ¢ a day to gain access to our search (and other features) and help support this site! :icon_thumleft:

Marc

p.s., this is locked because this site is about TREASURE HUNTING - NOT TREASURENET!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread