Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Hey all, :hello:

How many of you have had a nice Quarter/Half signal at 3-4 inches. :o You have to dig down 13 inches to find, is it silver is it a half.... ??? No no its an aluminum can. :icon_scratch: I mean what the crap... :o is there some way they can notch this out or fix this. How dose a soda can at 13 inches look anything like a Quarter at 3 inches.... :dontknow: I dig so many of these its very annoying. I feel this is the reason the Half dollar has eluded me. :help: Lets here your thoughts.... :sign13:

Keep @ It and HH!! :D ;D

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Re: What the heck is this, don't do that !!

Don't know what detector your using, but I can tell difference 95% of the time with my Vaquero by the size of the signal area, and the strength of the signal.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use a Whites, MXT ;D I like it I have found the good stuff with it. :headbang: No silver Half's or dollars, :icon_scratch: I have found lots of silver dimes, quarters, one heavy gold ring that made banner. :o I would just like a way around these darn cans and other plate metal.

Keep @ it and HH!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey mud. I also use a MXT and have had the same exact thing happen regularly. It's hard to do but, when the detector says a quarter at 3 inches and you have already dug 4 or 5 inches, LEAVE IT!! It's a stinkin' can!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what I do Backer but that is why I think I have not found any silver half's or dollars... :dontknow: I've seen people on Youtube dig a clad dollar in a hole someone gave up on.... :icon_scratch:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mud, Don,t feel bad. The half dollar is not often lost. The size and denomination make it harder to lose than other coins. I actually see more large cents, British & US coins found when detecting with my club. Heck I see more Spanish Reals than Half dollars. My half count in 5 years, 1 (1962 Franklin). Found in a field that produced over a dozen. Very rare to find that many in one location.

Ed D.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've had the same problem. The bad thing about ignoring larger targets is that you never know when you might be passing over a can of money. It's the cache hunter in me. ;D Of course, if you're in a trashy area, you have little choice.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

I have done the same . As posted above if it says quarter at 3in and your down to 6in
it might be time to bail . Also a hand probe is a big help once you are down in the hole
you can read the target getting bigger and expanding in the hole HH Mike

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You aren't missing the dollars Mud. I was in my own backyard just messing around with my MXT. All of a sudden I got a reading of $1 at 4 inches. I told myself, "Yeah, right!". Sure enough, there it was, an Ike dollar at about 4 inches.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I have noticed with the ace250 that if you get a solid signal for a quarter or half at 4 to 6 inches and dig a plug that if you re-scan a lot of times it goes to the dollar icon if it's a can. It's like you get 4 to 6 inches of dirt out of the way and the target reads bigger. I have yet to find a half or dollar coin so I don't know if it will stay on a consistant reading for them but if gives a solid quarter signal and then stays a solid quarter signal it's usually a quarter. On the other hand I have dug solid quarter signals at 2 to 4 inch readings and found screw caps that are just barely under the surface.

I dig all those big signals though because I don't want to be sitting at home later wondering what I DIDN"T dig. I guess until they come up with an X-ray type detector that shows an outline of what's down there we will just have to keep digging up those cans and zinc jar lids.

HH Charlie

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Target depth is based on a the nickle coin diameter in a flat orientation. Any difference, angle, size, will cause a shift in the reading. A 2" diameter can lid lying flat may read 2" deep and actually be 8" deep. A dime may be 3" and read 6" deep. A lot of the better detectors also use the target ID to help get a better depth readings. I also find the more conductive readings (Minelab guy talking here.)to be correct in depth indication and ID.

Ed D.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With my X-70 I just quickly engage the prospecting mode and listen to the duration of the targets tone. Long tone not a coin. Short tone , possible coin.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relax my friend, You are now becoming a treasure hunter. Just think, IF you are digging up those cans etc.' AND' disposing of them, you are helping in the detectorist' image, and one just may hold lots of silver coins.

Also, if everything is spelled out for you, it eventually is nothing more than similarly going to a Bank and checking your change, no romance nor suspense..

Don Jose de La Manacha

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

I like it when people don't dig old rusty cans and cast iron.
siegfried schlagrule

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

use the old lift the coil trick --- if its a coin sized item --lift the coil upwards --it should "drop out" and not be detected --however the much larger sized aluminum can target will still ring up :wink: :icon_thumright: try it some time

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Real de Tayopa said:
Just leave them for you eh Seigfried ??? Especially the old tin cans filled with gold coins he he he

Don Jose de La Mancha ,

Not me personally but leave them for folks that don't drive
around with their headlights off. I was thinking more on
the lines of an old cast iron bean pot with the lid wired on
with baling wire. Most Prince Albert cans I've found have been
full of rotted paper money that is a pain to get cashed quietly.
The only times i have not dug big signals was on world war one
and world war two battlefields. There are very few spots in the US
that will explode when you dig them. If a person has a self-esteem
that will be damaged by digging a worthless hole they are in the wrong
damn hobby. siegfried schlagrule

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

yes, I agree. When I encounter a target of quentionable origin, I scan it from different angles to determine size. If it's deep, it can fool you on size, so I lift my coil to see how far up before I start losing the signal. If you know your machines limitations on, say a half or dollar, then you know when it is out of range. When in doubt, DIG! rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread