Jewelery Question

troutpw

Greenie
Dec 27, 2008
found this website hope it answers your question---http://www.tentwothree.com/platinum_jewelry_information.asp

as per the website
900 Plat - 100Irid - means platinum alloyed with 10% iridium.

Many estate jewelry hallmarks will be PT900, indicating that the metal is 900 parts per 1000 of pure platinum. The remaining 100 part are usually made with iridium which makes the jewelry harder.

Dog's Head - French mark indicating platinum used after 1912.

PT950 - platinum. Indicating that 950 parts per 1000 containing platinum. After 1973, The Hallmarking Act was initiated, which will now not allow jewelry to be marked platinum if it falls below 950 parts.

Many fine contemporary vintage platinum rings with precious gemstones such as tanzanite, sapphires, topaz and diamonds now available due to the popularity of the metal.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've assumed your jewelry question relates to a ring, though this response can relate to any platinum piece of jewelry:
Check the hallmark on the inside of the ring. Federal regulations require all platinum bands to bear a stamp or "hallmark" on the inside of the band. If it says "IridPlat", or ".90Plat/Ir" then the ring is only 90% pure platinum, and you should pay less for it than a ring that is 95% pure platinum. If the hallmark says "Plat" or ".95 Plat", then the ring is considered pure platinum and commands a premium price.
Ask your jeweler about the alloy used in your platinum ring. If you are buying a pure platinum ring (95% platinum), then it should be alloyed with either Cobalt or Ruthenium. These alloys produce a harder platinum that can hold a mirror bright polish and resist years of daily wear. Many .95 pure platinum rings are alloyed with the less expensive metal Iridium, but these rings are softer and will become scratched and dull within a year of daily wear.
Don.....

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Platinum-Ring

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: you guys are awsome thanks ,I've learned how to tell good gold an good silver in jewelry the platinum was just one I've never seen anyoner talk about or show marks ....thanks alot guys for the help and links :icon_thumleft:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Gold is a soft metal and would be subjected to a lot of abrasion if it were not mixed with a harder metal for durability. That's why we see mostly 14K gold in jewelry and soetimes 18K. Platinum is not as soft as gold and can have a much higher purity in jewelry. A gold/silversmith can give a better explaination then I can. But that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an example.....

It also has 18k gold accents, hence the hallmark.

Attachments

• platring.jpg
    platring.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used