Are the Manufacturers holding detectors back ?

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about the progress made in the field of metal detectors and the technology that drives them.

Sure the methods have changed depth increased new electronics evolved hang on rewind seems like I'm defeating my own argument ?.

On the face of it yes but I believe if you examine the question in more detail you may come to the same conclusions I have ?.

Say Company X made the ultimate in detectors did everything but dig the target visually identified it.

Depth always accurately measured one button setting up and go would the hobby of detecting
thrive or would stripping out the elements of user skill and surprise when a target identified as a coin comes out as a gold ring ?.

In other words a bang and bust culture everyday would be a banner day.

Added to the fact isn't it better to gradually release the improvements that way the constant need to upgrade to the next best thing.

If you read though the posts here at tnet you find cheaper models keeping up with the more expensive models in terms of depth at least how?.

User skill luck research experience oops self defeating argument once again.

Two detectors one top end one low end would a seasoned veteran out perform some one with less hours on the clock ?.

Or would some of the variables mentioned above come into play such as luck?.

Your thoughts please Metal Mania

MrDigsit

Jun 14, 2009
Dayton Oh.
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Could you see the parks if ID was perfect. Every Tom, Dick And Harry who could afford a detector would be out there scooping up the good stuff. I'd rather have a less accurate detector and use the skills I've built up over 30 yrs. For me that's where the fun is.

MrDigsit

Jun 14, 2009
Dayton Oh.
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
May I also say NOT knowing what the next target is is what keeps me coming back for more. Also JuJu's fantastic finds would not be so fantastic if it were not for his skill.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Not knowing what exactly is underneath the coil is what keeps most, if not all, of us still interested in this hobby/obsession. Even the detectors of today that tell you what is underneath the coil are not 100% accurate. But I do think that we are due for some new releases by a few of the manufacturers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Metal mania, there is no "conspiracy" to hold back metal detector technology. Believe me, from a "business standpoint", if there really WERE a better mousetrap, the manufacturers would "be all over themselves" to rush to be the first to get it to market.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Tom_in_CA said:
Metal mania, there is no "conspiracy" to hold back metal detector technology. Believe me, from a "business standpoint", if there really WERE a better mousetrap, the manufacturers would "be all over themselves" to rush to be the first to get it to market.
In a heart beat.
Newt

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Mania, With regard to your question about veteran /newbie, higher/lower end detectors,
I went detecting a few months back with a friend , it was his first day out witha metal detector
ever - he was using a lower end bounty hunter (tracker 4 ) , I was using Whites MXT. I'm
not a veteran detectorist by any means ,but i've got two years in- My buddy found a merc.
dime and a while later a silver pendant with turquoise - I went home with modern change and
a couple of wheaties. The answer to this riddle is ridiculously simple -- he put his coil over the
good targets - had my search coil gone over the very same merc , i would have recieved the
kind of information that causes me to dig the signal , same with the silver pendant. Argentium.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newt said:
Tom_in_CA said:
In a heart beat.
Newt

Yep, you only need enough money to live 25 times over. Then you can quit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:

Sometimes it just seems like the manufactures are in cahoots with each other, but there is no benefit to either of them to do so. It seems like some of the new detectors have a new set of decals and if we were to believe the advertisements, they would all detect to China. What you receive for your purchase is a detector that preforms with certain bells and whistles, each model different. It comes down to the skill of the operator, research, and what color socks they wear that day. We just have to get the coil over it.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Sandman said:
Tom_in_CA said:

Sometimes it just seems like the manufactures are in cahoots with each other, but there is no benefit to either of them to do so. It seems like some of the new detectors have a new set of decals and if we were to believe the advertisements, they would all detect to China. What you receive for your purchase is a detector that preforms with certain bells and whistles, each model different. It comes down to the skill of the operator, research, and what color socks they wear that day. We just have to get the coil over it.

I belive you hit the nail on the head!!! their sand man!!!!! wellput

arthur

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
No, there's no conspiracy going on!

ANY manufacturer who had a magic bullet, or who had technology to
outstrip the competition would dive right in and shortly corner the
market, making themselves huge profits.

What I DO suspect is that we could get more variations, more
specialty detectors.
Not sure of the physics involved, but I'd be willing to pay to put
more amperage (current) through the coil for a stronger, deeper
field. Say twice the current even if it cuts back on battery life.
Then the same sized coil would go much deeper.

Has anyone looked into home made detectors?

http://www.metal-detector-schematic.com/index.htm

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding from reading threads here on Tnet that the manufacturers have a power output limit they can't exceed that is set by the govrnment? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Monty

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Yeah, I believe that is correct - the FCC - Federal Communications Commission sets limits
on VLF transmissions, as it can interfere with other devices. Anyone with with a bit of
electronics know-how might be able to jury-rig a more powerful coil.

If the standard coil is X ohms at the VLF frequency, and you use a thinker wire,
which has less resistance, you would draw more battery current for the same
number of turns, increasing the strength of the field.
Sure, that could interfere with things if you're searching in an urban
area, but if you're out in the boondocks. Not that I'm recommending
breaking the law, mind you. 8)

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The FCC does impose a limit on metal detectors, just as they do on any and all electronic communication equipment( radios,
FRS, walkie Talkies,CB). This is the reason most detectors from the 80's go just as deep and perform as good as the newer versions. The only major difference is the coils. The newer models have larger coils, which allows for deeper detection. Most older detectors were limited in their coil selection. Also the newer detectors have a better discrimination mode. Most all are motion detectors which limit depth. Some of the older models were non motion in all metal and discrimination. These detectors went DEEP. I think the only ones that offer this option now are Nautilus and possibly Garrett. rockhound

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GTI 2500 and it had a non-motion mode. But it was so noisy you couldn't really use it very well. It was like being in the pinpoint mode all the time. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread