dire warning --- mursa 0 -- Ivan 1 -- what looked to be simple wound

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
turned out to be a near killer -- just got back from the hospital -- got a little nick near my belly button --felt bad for a day or so --belly area got red-- started to drain --very foul smelling --went to hospital--friday night --- they admitted me right away --put me on IV antibotics right away --kept me on em for 3 days --and gave me more to take here at home --said that it was mursa --a very fast acting disease germ -- jim henson (the creator of the muppets) --died 18 hours after contracting it ---lucky my system is tough and I got it treated quickly --- be careful out there folks as you detect there are lots of things that can hurt you --they also gave me a tentus shot as well.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
who knows ? sumpin while laying down on the ground digging up stuff . --it wasn't that big a cut a tiny lil nick was all it was. --- what warned me was the rapid on set of how bad I felt and "spread of redness" infection wise.

labguy

Apr 8, 2006
Actually that should be MRSA (but pronounced mursa, I suppose). It stands for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. Definitely a bad bug. Until recently it was mainly a problem for individuals in the hospital. But, there are more and more cases of Community Acquired MRSA.

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the hospital I work at, we call it MRS. A, so not to alarm the patients.

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
You are lucky! My sister-in-law contracted it while in the hospital and would up with about 5 more surgeries because of it. Her stomach is a mess now because of the flesh that had to be removed.

Nasty nasty thing that MRSA is!!!

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's scary. We are glad that you didn't go "belly up", and that you are still here.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, I'm glad you had the sense to get to the ER, that stuff is nothing to play around with. You got everything taken care of ASAP. Happy to hear you are feeling much better.

:wink: RR

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
There's a lot of little nasty things out in the bush and water around here. My wife got a very serious double infecting after a small scrape on her leg in my sister's swimming pool. Didn't think anything of it and within the next couple days ....well, Ivan you know the rest. I think a bunch of us don't think much of a small scratch or wound but better treated fast than sorry. Carry some small alcohol swipes with you in your detecting kit just to be safe. Ivan hope your on the mend and able to get out and about soon.

JRich

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a lucky person, Ivan.

The bacteria involved in this is everywhere - in your surroundings, your homes, your cars - everywhere. (Its a common one).

However, it needs just the right circumstances to flourish, and when it does - it flourishes BIG.

A friend of mine, quite awhile back, got bit by a bug of some sort, which made her itch terribly. She scratched the spot so much, she opened up a wound on her skin.

A couple of days later, I was taking her to the hospital. http://tahilla.typepad.com/mrsawatch/

B

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you caught this in time Ivan !

I cannot picture laying on my stomach MDing , although I often bonk my arms on things and don't know it
until I start seeing blood all over.
Then it's "Oh no. I am making a mess ".

Never heard of this type of infection but glad you survived. Sounds very bad.
May have to start carrying some hydrogen peroxide or something.

Grey

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, after those years of financing those Oriental flesh pots, it was bound to turn up. However , your MS training taught you to do the right thing, congrats for still being here to bug pore lil me. I must be a bit masochistic ?? heheh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Get a small bottle of good Colloidal Silver, that buggie, among almost all other, is not resistant to this.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Ivan, Glad you got it treated in time. It can be a very nasty bug. Take a few days and let the antibiotics work, then hit the field again.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ivan, I'm glad you didn't let that go. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
I just did a little research and the pictures were very scary indeed.
They even use maggots for treatment in severe cases.

Glad you are doing OK. :thumbsup:

GG~

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's scary! I nick myself all the time while out detecting. I take plavix that thins the blood and the first I know I've been cut it I find blood all over the place. I carry a first aid kit in my car but haven't even had to open it yet. Maybe I should and just for safety sake put a little antibiotic ointment on those little scrapes. I got some kind of bug from the hospital when I had my back surgery. I nearly died and was on a mainline IV with antibiotics for 16 weeks! When I went to get the line taken out the doctor said, " I never expected to see you again"! That's when it scared me. Monty

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
How long was it red before it started draining??
Did they do a nose test to see if you are carrying it??

Some times it is fast, some times slower.
Folks look up Cellulitis That way you don't wait to long to get treatment. Have an idea what you are looking for.
The resistant strain is deadly. Early diagnosis may save your life. MRSA is showing up in a lot of different areas now.

Read this link to get the idea of how bad it is getting.
http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/medical_malpractice/mrsa/mrsa-death.html
A search will tell most folks more about this stuff. They should read up on it. Seems they should be saying more about it, yet are not.

Glad it was caught in this case. Nasty deadly stuff.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Damn Ivan!Glad your doing better...Alot of toxic stuff in the ground be careful and maybe try some gloves for a change,my finger got so swollen one time from diggin on a stinky lot :D i wear them all the time now...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread