Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read a post an they mentioned Katrina.......has anyone huntin in those parts since the storm ,or is that a huge NO NO.....was just curious.....I myself dont know if I would hunt or not I have kinda mixed feelings an thoughts on it I guess...one side of me thinks wooooooohhooooooo think of all that treasure...the other side says this wasnt lost this was taken from these folks an would I really feel good having it .So tell me your thoughts or your finds or both.

thanks Tank :icon_thumright:

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
If you hunt on public property, or get permission on private property, go for it.

Michael in SC

May 16, 2005
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000
I would continue to hunt the types of places I hunt now ie. public parks, beach/lake shores and lots where I have permission from the owner.

It is my opinion that the "ethics" would only come into play if you MD'ed some of the still vacant private home sites and lots (the same places you would not hunt anyway) without permission. Would I? No, Would someone else? Yes!

Working within the aforementioned places, ethical, yes 100%. I'd sleep like a baby after a day of hunting in New Orleans.

Michael

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michael in SC said:
I would continue to hunt the types of places I hunt now ie. public parks, beach/lake shores and lots where I have permission from the owner.

It is my opinion that the "ethics" would only come into play if you MD'ed some of the still vacant private home sites and lots (the same places you would not hunt anyway) without permission. Would I? No, Would someone else? Yes!

Working within the aforementioned places, ethical, yes 100%. I'd sleep like a baby after a day of hunting in New Orleans.
Michael
It depends on the amount of time that goes by. To detect after a tornado has gone through a neighborhood is not ethical unless the amount of time that has gone by lots later. Is it any different to detect a beach for recently lost items? But beaches are public property.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd agree on waiting a given time to go in and detect, so that the residents had ample time to try and recover lost possesions. Keep in mind that recovery of lost possesions may not be the first thing on their mind. Shelter, food, clothing etc will be top priority, this should not be construed as a forfeiture of their property.

That said, after "this" time frame, I would feel comfortable in detecting any place after the storm that I would have detected before the storm. Also, any item recovered that could positively be tied to a resident, I would do my best to return.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Heh Tank:

I assume you're just treasure dreaming but if you are serious
about invading the "Big Easy" bring a real tank witcha.

lastleg

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:thanks for everyones input ,this was just one of those thoughts where your sitting there have a treasure thought an decide to throw it out there,I love this site an being able to throw something out like this an being able to see how others see it or what they would do .... :icon_thumright: thanks alot everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread