Modification to Long Handled Stainless Sand Scoop

B

Big1011Guy

The bobbie pins or something smaller than 5/8" drove me crazy at my last Beach/Water Hunt. It kept falling through the 5/8" holes in the sand scoop. I decided to add a layer of 1/2" Galvanized Wire Mesh to the inside of sand scoop. I attached it with Tie Straps. I also attached some Old Computer Hard Drive Magnets to bottom of sand scoop with JB Weld and Tie Straps. I am going to try the Modified Sand Scoop out this Sat. 7/25 and if it works better I will put the JB Weld along the edges of the mesh and attach it more permanently the the Stainless Steel.
I have enclosed a couple of pictures.
Guy

Attachments

• Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 578
  • Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,201
  • Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 407
  • Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 509

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This addition of the magnets is a very good solution to the small bits or iron that fall through the holes in the scoop. However the use of a Excal stops you from wasting time scooping iron in the first place. I use the Sunspot Stralth scoop which has the small holes to catch the earring studs and such.

Attachments

• sunspotscoops.gif
    sunspotscoops.gif
    24 KB · Views: 742

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh.., yeah, I was going to say that scoop has awfully big holes. But the mesh should work. Monty

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I would have put the magnets at the back edge about 2 inches up from the lowest centerline of the scoop. ( But that is just me :wink:)

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Well I Have used the scoop twice and it Works Great. The sand still flows through the holes Quickly-Leaving the small metal pieces attached to the magnets. It almost works to good, because there won't be any small metal pieces of junk metal left on the beach to aggravate any other MDr's:laughing9: Check out the pictures of my latest finds to see all the junk I have Rescued From The Sand :thumbsup:
Guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread