Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would you wanna do that the best stuff out there is made of metal. do you not have a detector???

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shelbybell said:
no i dont have one. cant afford it right now. :-\

I don't know if you have a big 5 sporting goods or a radio shack in your town. but you can get just a starter detector just to learn the hobby for around $80.00

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Welcome to T-net, Shelby. Actually there are other means to hunt for "treasure". A few that have sites here that might be of interest to you would be American Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, stone tools etc. would take some research but if you live in a rural area and can find possible campsites, searching farm fields after a rain by slow walking and sight works. Old abandoned farm homesteads can have buried dumps that can be dug out for old bottles and relics. In some areas gold panning and rock/gemstone hunting are available. The sites on here are good resources too.
Will be looking for pictures soon. You Go.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
silverswede said:
Welcome to T-net, Shelby. Actually there are other means to hunt for "treasure". A few that have sites here that might be of interest to you would be American Indian artifacts such as arrowheads, stone tools etc. would take some research but if you live in a rural area and can find possible campsites, searching farm fields after a rain by slow walking and sight works. Old abandoned farm homesteads can have buried dumps that can be dug out for old bottles and relics. In some areas gold panning and rock/gemstone hunting are available. The sites on here are good resources too.
Will be looking for pictures soon. You Go.

I agree. All you have to do is keep your eyes on the ground. Look for spots that have been washed by rain. I have trained myself to look at every patch of bare dirt. The arrowhead you posted is very nice. There are a lot of those to be found. Metal can be found also. I was metal detecting a couple of months back and found a barber dime before my detector did. Laying right on top. :icon_sunny:

Good Luck
Randy

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like silverswede said find a good plow field and look for arrow heads, If you are close to gold county pan for that yellow stuff. or go bottle hunting. All kinds of things to do. You don't say where you are at. What state and city. Maybe someone would take you along detecting if they have a extra detector. If you are close to the OH, IN, and MI lines you are by me and I have extra detectors and you are more then welcome to tag along with me.....Matt

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Shelby, I'll respond, but first of all, I'm somebody's Dad, and I got a daughter. KK's right about that avatar on gettin a detector in the mail. However, if you're for real and serious, I'll get back with you. And there's nothin wrong with that, you just got to be careful in this day and age. Later, kiddo!

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Some of my treasure hunting in my teens was to help hall junk out of old houses that were to be torn down. Some of that junk turned out to be really good stuff ( movie posters, old records, old coins, vintage toys, bicycles). I would rip out the old plaster walls and find jars or cans full of really old coins and paper money or marbles in them. People didn't trust banks back in those days. Sounds like whats going on now. Movie posters were stuffed in walls as insulation in the depression.

Not all treasure hunting needs a detector. I prospect and rock hound without a detector some times and do well. Other times I would want to find coins, relics or gold and a detector in the way to do it right. Indiana Jones is a movie based on a man looking for several things that don't always require a detector.

A good question for you would be, "What constitutes treasure to you?"

OP
OP
shelbybell

shelbybell

Jul 30, 2009
that sounds so fun what you were talking about. pulling treasure out of the walls of those old houses, that would be like a dream for me. i love anything antique or vintage anything from another time..i find things at garage sales and thrift stores but of course its so much more exciting if you can accually be the first to discover something like that thats been hidden for so many years

OP
OP
shelbybell

shelbybell

Jul 30, 2009
thanks for the advice everyone :icon_pirat: ill be looking around and saving up for a metal detector

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Another thing. Since you mentioned you already go to yard sales and such. There are alot of great treasures to be found for cheap. Gold is the best to find. You would be amazed at how small of a ring can be 50 dollars worth of gold. Just last week I bought a wedding band for 20 dollars and its melt value is 83. This summer alone I have bought over 2k worth of gold for 347 bucks and I haven't really got to hit yardsales as hard as I'd have liked. While that's not quite as good finding it in the ground its still pretty kick @$$.

Just research and ask questions. Save up a little cash and move up to a detector. My suggestion is shoot for the Ace 250. You can get one for under 200 bucks and theres nothing in that price range that can compare.

-K

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin roll hunting. Parking lot hunting. Checking vacuums at car washes. Dumpster diving. Go to the dump. Go around on local big item trash days, go early and you may get some nice furniture. Anything you don,t want sell and get a detector, like an Garrets ACE 150 or ACE 250.

Ed D.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to TNET shelby ,please before you buy a detector let us here know what you found so you donr buy something that was a waste of your money,in the meen time read posts here learn stuff get ideas ask questions `,you have found an awsome place with the best people around you'll ever meet.have fun hang out maybe hit chat when folks are there an before you know it shiney things will start showing up .

OP
OP
shelbybell

shelbybell

Jul 30, 2009
someone said u can get a starter kit at radio shack for around 80 bucks. do you guys think that would be a good idea or just a waste?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I'm kinda of the opinion that you would be frustrated with one of those very bottom end detectors. Get your $80.00 in your hand and start watching yard sales, paper classifieds, eBay, Craigslist. put the word out locally that your looking for a quality detector, used for under 80 bucks. Watch for the name brands, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Minelab,Bountyhunter, I've seen Whites detectors that retailed for $1000 sell for $30 at yard sales. Down load an instruction manual and don't be intimidated by the Hi-tec. most good detectors have a preset mode that will do a fine job. Then get out there and have some fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread