Ever been there? What are your experiences?

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

Taking a family vacation in a few weeks. The wife wanted to hit a good educational spot for the boys. My thought at first was , "OK Where are we going? ::) " She said, "Well, I thought everyone liked history so much and that Gettysburg and Washington DC would be a great trip." :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Well yeah! lets go! The detectors will go but, will be broke down, no batteries and tucked away in a duffel bag in the back of the trunk. We are staying right at one of the battle sites and I know they do not like metal detectors. I want to take em just in case we find some great spots on the way there and surrounding areas though. I am planning on a little legal treasure hunting in the streets of Gettysburg though. There is a guided tour kind of set up like the movie National Treasure. On the day Lincoln was assassinated he left clues to the lost union gold. They send you off with clues to wander streets in search of the gold. I know there are clues on a Gettysburg Address document and many stores and people play a role in this tour. Should be a lot of fun, even if it is fake gold and all staged. lol I hope it will be worth the $34.00 ticket price. :-\

Anyone ever vacationed there? I would love to hear some of your experiences there and maybe some do's and dont's. Dont want to pay for lame events. lol. I also wanted to add that there are no worries about detecting in the park. We all know it is a huge NO and no bullet, buckle or coin is worth Jail time. I will be sure to include lots of pictures when we return. Counting down the days! :icon_thumleft:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been to Gettysburg at least a dozen times, my favorite place by far. I spend as much of my time on the fields as I can. Lots to do in town too though. Enjoy, I can't get there this year so I am envious.

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I live just across the river from Washington DC, and for family vacations, there are certainly plenty of things to see in this area. Stay in Virginia if you can. Both DC and Maryland have their fair share of bad areas. So does Virginia, but not nearly as many. Gettysburg is just an hour and a half away, and you can take Rt. 15 there for a nice ride as well.

Manassas and Antietam are also nearby, as well as Harpers Ferry for Civil War areas. The entire DC area was one huge armed camp during the Civil War, so relics turn up everywhere.

Spend some time in the Smithsonians. Go to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum. If you make it there by August 6, you can see the Enola Gay on the Anniversary of the dropping of the first atomic bomb.

Arlington Cemetary is a must see while you are here as well.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions. I am literally so close that I see the Washington Monument every day.

If you have a GPS, be sure to bring it, because the street layouts are confusing, and I've lived here almost 50 years !

Enjoy your trip.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no help here. The last time I visited DC was for the dedication of the Vietnam Memorial. Stayed a week, there is so much to see. Be sure to take your walking shoes. Enjoy.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just checked google maps and looked at a bunch of places I used to roam around as a kid when I lived in Prince Georges county some 30+ years ago and most of them are now national parks or are now in a "bad" area, (I would detect myself but not with the family) so unfortunately I cannot offer any suggestions other than to say do not miss going to The Smithsonian Institution. I could spend my entire vacation there. http://www.si.edu/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread