Met a jerk today

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jb7487, your in-put is not in vain. It's the comparison of contrary opinions that make for "balanced comment". So don't go away, or think that your opinions aren't considered, aren't making people think more moderately, etc... To the contrary, I very much (and I think others too) want to be challenged, to see things from another .... more cautious .... viewpoint. It's all good to get the bottom of issues.

The only thing I would add, is that, you're right: a position like Dave's might make a person think that Dave thinks he can just waltz out to the White house lawn, or whatever "just because it's public". This is why I usually add the disclaimer "... barring obvious historical monuments, etc..."

A person can take Dave's stance, and ALSO add a little discretion. There are a lot of things a person can do (like picking your nose for instance), that you/me/we do with uh ...... a little common sense and discretion, so as not to be a sore thumb.

For the record, Dave doesn't just waltz into where ever he pleases. Some places are just obvious that no one can hunt there and I don't even bother. I don't want to hunt the White house. When a metal detecting permit was bought from the government archies, the Parliament buildings here in my city was on the list of allowable sites. Well, try detecting at those Parliament grounds and watch a different branch of the government kick you out!
I have standing permission to hunt at least a hundred places both private and public. I am a valuable asset to many of these areas. If someone wants to know why, I will explain further. I don't feel the need to explain myself to people who don't know me. But tell us how to metal detect and where seems to be the norm around here these days. You can't lump me into one of "those detectorist's" side. I am an individual who isn't a sheep and simply uses common sense and morals to make my decisions.
When I search a public place, I respect the place that I am at. I have almost never been kicked out. In fact, I end up helping the workers find sprinkler heads, valves, pipes, and even picnic benches underwater! People come up to me and ask to find a ring they lost. I do it for them. I have chased away vandals and pick up garbage. I PROMOTE THIS HOBBY! Don't tell me I can't search public property! I am going to stop now because now I am explaining myself which is what I didn't want to do, because I don't owe anybody!
I love metal detecting and I will do it until the day I die!
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread