Sidewalks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hunt old-town sidewalk rip-outs whenever I see them. If you're in an older part of town, they could have been dirt paths, and wooden sidewalks, prior to the cement going in at the turn-of-century (or whenever). You also gotta hit it before they scrape out too deep, and before they add fill-dirt prepping for the new walks.

Just wait till after the workers cut out at the end of the day (so you're not an eye-sore, or in anyone's way), and go!

Here's one I hit that produced a lot of seateds, barbers, V's, etc...:

Attachments

• article1.jpg
    article1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 314
  • article1.jpg
    article1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 326
  • article2.jpg
    article2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 329

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....Some o homeowners still claim that territory so to avoid any stress and hassles......i would seek permission......................if a bit shy start out on a sidewalk portion that either has no house or has an old falling down house in front of it........if the neighbors are out..........they will notice and talk to you long before you get there to there property.......if you are cordial and jolly.....you may have the whole neighborhood in your hands.......LOL......this is better than having the cops show up.....................Joe

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Joe, I can't comprehend the mindset, of a homeowner that would think he "owns the sidewalk in front of his house". If that were his attitude, then I guess he could get torqued for someone walking there too? Yes, I can see the grass strip between the sidewalk and street being a debatable point .... but the SIDEWALK? (torn out or otherwise).

In the case of the article I posted, there were dozens upon dozens of business store fronts along the commercial stretches. We just walked past the orange cones and went at it each night.

OP
OP
D

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
Thanks for all the input, I definitly jump out and detect those torn up sidewalks when i see them. and TOM_IN_CA awesome article. HH

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here in Shelby county, if the sidewalk
in front of your home is damaged and
you want it fixed, you must pay the
county ( or city ) to do so.
If i pay for my sidewalk to be fixed, then
im going to say it is my property.
But im not sure of the other areas.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
Joe, I can't comprehend the mindset, of a homeowner that would think he "owns the sidewalk in front of his house". If that were his attitude, then I guess he could get torqued for someone walking there too? Yes, I can see the grass strip between the sidewalk and street being a debatable point .... but the SIDEWALK? (torn out or otherwise).

In the case of the article I posted, there were dozens upon dozens of business store fronts along the commercial stretches. We just walked past the orange cones and went at it each night.

If the sidewalk wasn't torn out, it would be a bit difficult to probe wouldn't it? Teasing, you found some good stuff there. If it's tore up, have at it!!!!

John

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
For those of you who can read the teensy print in this article, notice the reporter misquoted me on the "GAR" object. As we know that's for "Grand Army of the Republic. But somehow he mis-heard, and wrote that it stood for "Great American Republic".

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in our city if the sidewalk if bad the home owner has to pay for it to be repair. I agee with allen. If I am paying for it it is mine and I can say if I would want you on it or not.....Matt

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
We actually just went through a lot of this in another thread: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,263720.0.html. Read the very first post and then jump to the second page where people start talking about the legalities of it all. This was and probably still is a very hot topic so read it and learn what many of your fellow detectorists think about it. Then make up your own mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions