Does the other half give you grief

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus
Not really, my wife just thinks I am crazy anyway. :laughing7:
hh
Steve
Ever notice how no seems to bother crazy folks? might be something there :icon_scratch:

joecanadian

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2009
metal mania said:
Just wondering if your partner gives you an ear bashing about wasting cash on a useless hobby being out all hours etc etc etc.

Of course mine doesn't shes an angel with a heart of gold Bobs does though.

She refers to herself as a metal detecting "widow...." :headbang:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first metal detector for Christmas (have already ordered a second one!). Was not sure how my husband would react to me hours out alone in parks, etc. But today, he bought me a pair of coveralls at Wally-World and a tackle box to boot to keep my digger, etc in. Yes, it is also a big stress reliever for me as I am an assistant principal at a high school and work billions of hours per week. Have to go back to the kids tomorrow. I think I got him a bit interested when I told him he could have one of my detectors. Once he finds his first "find," I will get him hooked--just gotta make sure the "cooler" is full with his favorite beverage.
apush :laughing9:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
RitaPA. said:
The other side of the coin...so to speak.My husband does pout that I spend more time lately detecting then with him.He goes with me occasionally but he gets bored.I have tried to find places he would enjoy.Places to fish etc. but if the fish aren't biting and I'm still swinging ....lets just say its tense. :wink: I have pointed out that supper is ready when he comes back from his "hunting" trips and I feel he should do the same for me.It doesn't matter I'm keeping my coil to the soil regardless. :argue:

Have you tried a nudist beach?

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
apush said:
I got my first metal detector for Christmas (have already ordered a second one!). Was not sure how my husband would react to me hours out alone in parks, etc. But today, he bought me a pair of coveralls at Wally-World and a tackle box to boot to keep my digger, etc in. Yes, it is also a big stress reliever for me as I am an assistant principal at a high school and work billions of hours per week. Have to go back to the kids tomorrow. I think I got him a bit interested when I told him he could have one of my detectors. Once he finds his first "find," I will get him hooked--just gotta make sure the "cooler" is full with his favorite beverage.
apush :laughing9:
School bus driver and I am ever so thankful for our asst principal he would be my hero if my wife didn't already have that job.

My wife went mding with me yesterday and I feel that will never happen again just not her thing. Prior we would go to New Orleans I would detect she would take the kid to the zoo, afterward we ride the trolley to downtown to enjoy the scenery and the aquarium but neither of them want to go digging around in the dirt. The kid is 10 you would figure this would be of interest but I think she follows the lead of her mother

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last lady I was seeing gave me alot of grief when I went detecting!! When I would come back home and show her my finds...she would say..."I'm not touching any of those dirty old coins"...And at one point..she said my detector would disappear....like Jimmy Hoffa.....Anyway...we are no longer together..... ;D

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I just got my detector a couple of months ago, and got married to the woman I've lived with for 7 years a month later. When I asked her if I could spend $800 on a metal detector she said "whatever you want to do". I think that's part of the reason I asked her to marry me. She lets me do what I want to do... no questions asked. At least with the metal detector she doesn't worry herself to death like she does when she tells me okay when I'm loading the truck to take my raft to the Gauley River for the fall draw down.

I just wish it would warm up enough for me to be able to spend any time outside with the detector. I'm 6'4" tall, but only 185 lbs, so I don't have much meat on my bones, and I'm very cold natured. Some people have commented that I can turn sideways to the wind and not get hit by it, but I've not found that to be true in practice. :)

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fisher2 and i are looking to add some more md's to or collection so we can take others with us
got prices on to machines and deside we could afford the two with 1 being about 250 more then the other
wife said why not get two of the higher end machines
well there goes an extra 250 out of my pocket
what a pain

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
no not at all, as a matter of fact she is alway exited to come along with me. i just got a Ace 250 that she will be toteing around.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's always said it keeps me out of the bars and it keeps me and the kids doing things together. :thumbsup:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way back in the early days of metal detecting, before the commoners understood the intricate attributes to a worthwhile venture, my wife was horrified at the amount of cash used to purchase the beepin thing. Several months later she never complained or said another word to me about my hobby....no....there was no homicide.....the rest of the story is .........I found a diamond engagement ring of the 1K variety from the turn of the century, at the County Court house.....since then, when I detect, I fondly remember that day and think.....Free, Free at last....I can do my own thing. My price: She owns the ring.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if I don't take the kids

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife only let's me go, if I don't go alone. She worries about my safety, and prefers I go with someone who has a C.C.W. and carries it. Also someone who has a cell phone to call 911, in case I get stung by a yellow-jacket wasp and have to use my Epi-Pen. Other than that, I check the kitchen calender to make sure on the particular day I want to go, that she has not made any plans that include me. And yes, she has gotten many pieces of fine jewelry from my hobby. Remember.... I have been hunting since 1960..........NGE

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Nope. In fact, my wife has always been supportive of my hobbies (hunting, fishing, MD'ing, etc.). Of course, I had to do some heavy screening in my early years to find her :thumbsup:
Dan

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Does my other half give me grief? Nope. I'm not whipped, and no woman will use me for a doormat. When I want to go detecting, I go. When I want to go fishing, I go. When I want to go to the range, I go. I have my hobbies, she has her's. We don't share a bank account either. We split the bills, but what I have earned and have left over after paying bills is mine and what she has left over is hers. What i save is mine, what she saves is hers. I watched my older brother get ruled by his ex-wife and she spent him into the poorhouse. His wife didn't(wouldn't) work, and would have the nerve to complain if he bought something he wanted. I decided that will not happen to me.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i started detecting this past spring my wife of 33 years didnt really take any interest in my hobby she did her thing i did mine not until one day when i meet this young lady down the block who lives across from a old estate that's up for sale i got permission to detect on she came over and asked me what i was doing i told her and showed her how it works ever since she wants to go detecting with me she even got her own detector a Ace 250 and loves it shes a 22 year old tom-boy! she loves to climb trees she has a huge tree house she built surf fish she even has her own dirt bike and now a metal detector , i swear shes a dead ringer for Marilyn Monroe even a few of my buddy's said the same thing, the day i came home from detecting with her and introduced her to my wife i said this is my new hunting buddy my wife now wants her own metal detector and has this great interest in the hobby she even gave all my wheat penny's a peroxide bath rinsed them off dryed them and rubbed each one with olive oil what more could a guy ask for:dontknow: lol HH Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread