IMG_0377.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 691

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
stefen said:
Survivalist camp...

Stefen nailed it, they are survivalist shelters. Mini-wigwam hut style, known in the inner circles as "debri shelters. Next time, check them out real close and see how they were put together in their different stages of building, you never know if you may have to build one yourself in an emergency.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There only 500 yards from the rd,wouldn't it be easier to just go back to your vehicle.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
jog said:
Went for a hike up a creek and found two of these.They were about a half mile apart and had a small fire pit inside.Does any one know what these are for.

In a thunderstorm, you'll figure this question out quickly. Or cold and windy for that matter. Seriously, looks like a scout shelter or like the others said. Survivalist or ?.
Newt

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigfoot's home? Ha-ha. Survivalist indeed. Looks like they did a lot of work, but they're too close to the creek, and in fact appear to be in the creek bed. It's very scenic to have a bubbling brook by your front door, but not very practical in the long run. They should build farther up out of the flood plain, you think?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
RGINN said:
Bigfoot's home? Ha-ha. Survivalist indeed. Looks like they did a lot of work, but they're too close to the creek, and in fact appear to be in the creek bed. It's very scenic to have a bubbling brook by your front door, but not very practical in the long run. They should build farther up out of the flood plain, you think?
Yup . And not near so visible .

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
Smurf outcasts would be my guess....

Watch out for Gargamel

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Looks to me like they are sweat lodges. Seems like someone wanted to perform a native american ritual.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning:" I tend to go with the sweat lodge since I see no evidence for smoke elimination, plus a single spark could burn up any occupant if they were sleeping. In a sweat lodge they do make a small fire in the center where certain leaves, herbs, and water are burned / heated as well as to raise the temperature and create steam, so a closed construction is needed..

As for a danger by being built in an arroyo, I am reminded of a flash flood that hit us last year. From the time that it started raining to actually being hit was perhaps 30 minutes. We were hit with a 7 ft wall of water through the middle of the town. If you wish, I will look for the pictures showing cars stacked up like dominoes and the high water marks on the houses.

You just don't camp or build in arroyos, except for short term occupation, which possibly is more evidence for a sweat lodge.. If someone had been sleeping in that thing they would have had no chance if a flash flood had hit it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRBeyer said:
Looks to me like they are sweat lodges. Seems like someone wanted to perform a native american ritual.

Considering the area that i was in that would make more sense.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRBeyer said:

I my humble opinion those are most definitely built like sweat lodges.
but could also be used as a shelter :thumbsup:

If you find where a fire was built outside and many rocks or charcoal found inside the hut, then most likely they were used as a sweat lodge and not just a shelter.

To be used as a sweat lodge you need to also get heat bearing, dense (basaltic) rock and lots of wood or even charcoal. The only tool you need is a shovel to transfer the red hot rocks coming from the fire to the pit in the middle of the sweat lodge.

Finally, you need as many old quilts and blankets as you can find. Wool is best. The blankets need to be as large as possible. The real sweat lodge of course was covered with old buffalo robes.

GG~

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweat lodges. Could be. Goodyguy got that right about the procedure. When you have the flu, there's nothing better than a good sweat to take that out. I can't see much of the creek, but the usual practice is to come out and jump in a hole of water or roll in the snow, and the creek doesn't appear deep enough for that. Don't heat river rocks up. They might explode, sometimes pretty spectacularly, and your neighboring campers will look at you funny.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy: You are correct, the conventional sweat hut was supplied with hot rocks over which water was splashed. The one that I was referring to is a medicinal one used in Sinaloa. The Pomo Indian that had discovered a sure stopper for Rabies at any stage, uses this method.

Being the sceptic that I am, even though the Gentleman offered to cure me for free after I was exposed to virulent rabies I opted for the 13 shots in the tummy.

His cure was fascinating and almost sure.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
If you find where a fire was built outside and many rocks or charcoal found inside the hut, then most likely they were used as a sweat lodge and not just a shelter.
====================================================================
I can agree with the sweat lodge too. Did you find a pile of rocks inside, something to hold water to sprinkle
over the hot rocks or maybe some herbs or plants hung above the pile of rocks. We had a sweat lodge we
used in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana, sit in there for about 15 minutes & steam, go out & jump
in the Little Salmon River(maybe 40 degrees) & soap up & get clean , another 15 minutes of sweat in the
lodge & back in the cold water. Except after the 2nd time, you felt no cold. One of the most exhilarating & natural experiences I've ever experienced, being out there in such a wild area. Would love to do it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread