MP3 Pro information

SilverThumb

Aug 6, 2009
Hey all im new and i still have yet to buy a MD yet.
So im looking around and i see this MP3 Pro for $159 from Kellyco would this be a good starter detector for my self?
Im looking also at the normal starter MD's like the Ace 250 and the Fisher F2, as im trying to keep the initial costs down as well.
And whats the diff between the ACE 250 and 150, depth? detection? anyone experience these?

I did buy the PP from harbor freight, so im on my way!!! :headbang:

Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting.....

ST

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
ACE 250 has depth meter, and pinpoint button. maybe a program or 2 more than the ACE 150. For 200 bucks you can't lose.

Pokerdad

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the MP3 Pro as a free gift when I purchased my Etrac, I have not used the Mp3 per say, but I can tell you it is definately a very cheap machine. It has no pinpointing ability, and it is cheaply made. I would not waste 50 bucks on it much less 150 bucks. Save some coin and go for the ACE 250. I think you will be much happier and more inclined to stick with the hobby. I am pretty sure the Mp3 would bring you loads of discouragement.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Ace 250 is a good machine ,has no problem findin clad, does good findin jewelry also , there are folks on here that use the 250 for relic hunting an a few even nugget shoot with it ,its wirth the $200 you will spend on it an you wont be sorry for it afterwards, the a good machine

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Yes get the Ace 250. My boys have them. They like to coin shoot with the 4" coil. Its a pretty nice machine. I traded My DFX for 2 of the Ace 250's for the boys with extra coil,diggin shovel and bag for them to start. A good investment, got the boys swinging for change.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with an Ace 250, with the standard col 9" x 6.5" you can reach 8". The pinpointer is pretty accurate too, and has many of the bells and whistles as more expensive machines. You will get your investment back within a year.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had a MPX from Kellyco, which is supposed to be more powerful than the MP3. To be able to get a repeatable beep on a coin I planted 3" deep, it had to be swept at about 8 feet per second! And the ID was wrong, too. Whether your Kellyco experience is good may depend on saleperson.

The Ace 250 ($212.45) or the Fisher F2 are OK detectors for getting started. The Fisher F2 is $199 by itself, but I see promotions on eBay where you get something extra if you pay a little more.

There are also many decent used detectors in the $100-200 range. You'll see some on the forums & more on eBay. If you buy used on eBay, you should buy only from sellers who have 100%positive feedback or very nearly 100%. A bad experience would be unlikely from dealers on TNet & other forums.

Also, some companies will take away a dealers dealership if they advertise them below the MAP (minimum advertiseable price), but many dealers will quote you a lower price on the phone or in an e-mail. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread