Florida...East or West coast?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I am thinking about moving and was wondering which side of Florida has better beaches. It's time for a change and I am going somewhere that is warm all year around. Are there certain areas where beach combing and detecting are better then others. Maybe not even Florida, I don't really have a plan I just know it's time to go. I appreciate all your input. Thanks,

Charlie

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie... there isn't any prettier beaches than those here on the Gulf Coast of Florida, IMHO!!
The housing market is pretty bad, so I'm sure securing a home wouldn't be too hard.
Right now, my girlfriend's family is trying to move down here to Saint Petersburg from Springfield, MO where they've all grown up at.
The Treasure Coast is neat, but it seems inundated with detectorists...

Bran <><

P.S. Just found this pic I took on my phone a couple Christmas' ago down here... it was about 85 degrees out on Christmas Day!

Attachments

• Christmas in Florida.jpg
    Christmas in Florida.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 325
OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks Bran, I haven't really thought about it much yet i just decided yesterday to go. It's just time for a change and I like warm weather and water so I thought of Florida first. Maybe I'll see ya on the beach someday.

HH Charlie

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I understand. My girl's folks were down here twice for two weeks each time last month... and they just kinda decided they would rather live here where they love it than up there. I definitely understand though, moving is a huge choice! It's not just something you can typically just up & do. You could always take a trip down just to get feel of the area. Allegiant Airlines flies has cheap direct flights from Springfield to St Pete/Clearwater airport. I found tickets the other day for 29 bucks one way, and 99 bucks for the return flight.
But if you do ever get down this way, let me know... :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I am probably just gonna drive but thanks that would come in handy when I get settled somewhere.

Charlie

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida is not warm all year round... 10 month outta the year its hotter than Georgia asphalt!!! :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but we've got Gulf Breezes... lol :wink:

Bran <><

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
If you love to sweat, Florida is the place for you!It gets downright miserable here in the summer, but its not too bad in the winter, although it does get 15 degrees or so in the coldest part of winter.Of course , the next day it may be 70 degrees, so if you don't like todays weather, stick around , it will change tomorrow! I live up in the big bend area, not the more southerly ,temperate region.I hate this place, lived here 40+ years, and I am ready for a change, too!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have 9 months of good weather, and 3 months of bad.(June-August) I was born and raised in Florida, but have also lived in the cold north (North Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Colorado being the coldest of the Northern States I have lived in.) Maybe it's because I have lived up north, but I think Sept through May is nice here. Now of course hurricane season runs June - November, but you have plenty of warning when they are coming.

Strictly for water detecting purposes, I would live a little closer to South Florida so you could detect that area. Gulf coast water is nice but has lots of hunters, east coast has rough water, but south is nice.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Most northern transplants end up on the west coast of Florida where the water is shallow and their are no Spanish Galleons. The oldest city in north America is St. Augustine on the east coast. Hunting for gold coins, pieces of eight, or all around detecting cannot be surpassed from St. Augustine south. There is some good Marlin and sailfishing half way down as well. Prices on commodities are better because shopkeepers cater to the real Floridians that do not make much money. Housing is considerably cheaper as well. Check out Palatka on the St Johns river. :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread