Tin ore in rivers??

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Its been a while that i heard the word "GUIJALO" , as i remember my great grandpa used to find this metal all over his property in Durango Mexico along side of Gold nuggets and gold flakes .. The word "guijalo" is an old word referring to tin ore , A dark grayish to red like and sometimes almost black heavy stone that was usually found after big storms hit the region and the ore collected in crevices and anywhere that the river cornered since it is very heavy .. , Last time i heard that word was back when i was 8 or 9 , and i heard it again last week , apparently my dad stumbled upon a load of it in a river in his ranch in almost the same spot that my great grandpa collected that stuff . This stuff is found in 9 of the 17 "arroyos" that are in dad's property and they are loaded with it along with some gold . My question is, Is it worth mining it ?? back in the day guijalo was one of the best paid minerals (besides gold and silver) ..

We have found gold and silver as well as Opal but is it worth collecting this tin ore as well??

What would you do??

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin is not a precious metal, that is for sure and I have no clue what the market value is for it either :dontknow:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to me if there is enough of it. It should be profitable to keep it. They have to make tin cans so where do there get their ore from. Take some buckets down with you and when you find some put itin a bucket. Then while you are doing this check around to see where you can sell it. The way I look at it everything that you can sell is more money in your pockets.....Matt

OP
OP
CRAZY-TEXICAN

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
Well here is the funny thing, My dad thinks its Tin but its a very heavy reddish smooth stone and i have only seen it once a few years ago, some of the older gold prospectors used to swear that there was gold in the stones and it was the reason why it was well paid . There was diferent types of Guijalo and it was separated according to weight and color ... You can find it in a wash , on rivers and creeks just like gold is found and the smaller pieces were panned just like gold and as i remember it's heavy as heck .. I will have my mom bring me a few samples when she comes over to visit next month, will post some pics in a few days..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread