could I detect coins in my dogs belly? (seriously)

dynosour

Sep 4, 2009
could I detect coins in my dog's belly? (seriously)

Hi all -

sorry - I'm a newbie here, and this question might sound absurd.... but I am serious.

I have a family dog that seems to like eating coins. She's already had surgery once to remove a quarter, and still she eats them. often we catch her with them in her mouth, and sometimes she'll cough one up. x-rays at the vet, obviously, are expensive at $100 a pop everytime we have cause to wonder if something else is in there. So I'm wondering if a more economical alternative to determine whether or not an x-ray is even necessary could be to run a metal detector over her belly. Could your standard US coins be picked up through dog flesh, INCLUDING pennies? (she's ~ 30lbs, ~ 12" in diameter max.).

I appreciate any advice. (including things like..." a 'quality' detector might work, but not your basic entry-level detector" etc.) If this idea held promise, I'd start with renting a detector from the local rental store, and may well consider investing in one for the future (this silly dog is young - there could potentially be many years of coin eating ahead of us!) Thanks a whole lot - gary in the carolinas.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: could I detect coins in my dog's belly? (seriously)

If it can detect to that depth in an air test, then yes: I can do it through innert objects too (soil, flesh, rock, etc....). A friend of mine's toddler swalled a coin (or so they feared), because he had grabbed at some coins sitting on a table (as toddlers are apt to do, and stick everything in their mouth). A check with my metal detector confirmed it: a penny/dime is his stomach. The detector even TID'd what kind of coin it was :)

For dogs it would be true too. I read in an veterinarian's journal, back when zinc pennies were still fairly new (early 1980s) of how some dog had gotten sick after swallowing a coin. The vet writing the article had to surgically remove the coin (I guess it was a small enough breed that it would not "pass" through?), and wondered why a now-corroding coin would make a dog sick like that? The article concluded that ........ contrary to the veterinarian's initial thinking, the penny was not copper. It was the then-new zinc variety, which had quickly broken down in the acids of the dog's digestive system juices. So if your TID detector determines that the coin is zinc, and the dog is not "passing" it, you might want to get the dog to a vet.

As for renting a detector to do this, for your dog who seems to be doing this often, you might as well just get one. You can find one on the classified ads here on T'net, that would perhaps be even less than $100 (or ebay, or craigslist, etc...). But if you rented each time, you might quickly exceed that. Just be sure to check here for the model/make, to make sure it's not a junk toy, or a specialty type not suited, etc... Another possibility is to know who the hobbyists are in your area, and perhaps you could befriend one to do a periodic check of your dog?

If you do rent one, be sure to do an air test before taking the machine home, to determine that it will, in fact, detect a coin to the depths you need, on a coin.

OP
OP
D

dynosour

Sep 4, 2009

awesome, Tom! that is exactly the kind of info. I was hoping for to get me started. I will look into the idea of purchasing a used detector and/or look for local enthusiasts. AND..... detectors can tell you exactly what KIND of metal you are detecting!?!? Is that a 'premium' capability? or is it common for even entry-level, 'quality' detectors?

if I come upon any local classifieds, I will certainly check back in with the group here to get advice. So THANKS a whole bunch. gary in the carolinas.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good answer Tom. From personal experience even "entry level" detectors such as a Bounty Hunter can tell the difference between a penny and a quarter.

dynosour said:
Is that a 'premium' capability? or is it common for even entry-level, 'quality' detectors?

if I come upon any local classifieds, I will certainly check back in with the group here to get advice. So THANKS a whole bunch. gary in the carolinas.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

No, they do not tell you the "kind of metal". They tell the conductivity of the target. So for example, a gold ring and a pulltab might have the exact same conductivity (aka "TID"). or an entire aluminum soda pop can might read "half dollar" on the TID, but a single finger-nail sized snippet of that SAME can might only read down at nickel range (a lower conductivity). Notice that in each case (the entire can verses the snippet), the "kind of metal" has not changed (aluminum in each case). Therefore size factors in to it.

But for standard USA coins: zinc penny (post 1982), coppper penny (pre 1982), nickel, dime, quarter, half, etc... the TID's are well known. BTW: copper penny/dime are fairly close together on the TID scale, but the others are dead giveaways. Of course, a copper house key might read the same as a dime. A diamond ring may read like a nickel, etc... But assuming you're certain the dog swalled a coin (and not some other metal item), then the TID readout can give you a pretty good guess as to what denomination/size.

The cheaper machines will have either no TID function, or ...... a wimpier one at best. But there are some decent ones that can still be had, with full TID function, at lower prices on the used market. They may not be sought-after enough by pro's, for use in hard-core hunt sites, but they may be plenty fine enough for controlled hunt singular object tests like the one you describe.

S

stefen

Interesting delima...

What if you bought a cheap stud finder from Sears, Home Depot or local hardware store?

Costs about $20...don't work, get a refund.

Attachments

• 9990000041588911.jpg
    9990000041588911.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,662

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher

Stud finders usually work on near surface nails, usually less than half an inch. But again try an air test with coins and see how far out the stud finder will go off on a variety of coins. If it's an inch or less I would think you may miss a coin inside your pet. A good detector is the best bet! thats my 2 cents worth :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Should I dare suggest you post your finds? Seriously, I hope your dog is ok and you figure out how to break that habit.

S

stefen

Think about training your dog not to eat coins...

Make a paste of cayenne pepper and coat some coins and place then about so the dog has access to them...

Once he associates the pepper with coins he will soon learn to not eat them.

I used this same method to cure my horse from cribbing on the corral rails...(cribbing is chewing when bored)

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn her in to an doggie coin detector and take her to the park.

I am going to train my Brittany to scent coins. It seems that yours is already trained or could be easily trained. Lots of money just laying on the surface in the grass and weeds.

So when you are out on walks in the park, see what your dog finds, but just try to keep him for swallowing them. My dog will find bones in the grilling area of a park along the river and start chomping on them. Right now he scents on dog pee, poop and chases squirrels. I am going to try and make him a little more productive.

Hi all -

sorry - I'm a newbie here, and this question might sound absurd.... but I am serious.

I have a family dog that seems to like eating coins. She's already had surgery once to remove a quarter, and still she eats them. often we catch her with them in her mouth, and sometimes she'll cough one up. x-rays at the vet, obviously, are expensive at $100 a pop everytime we have cause to wonder if something else is in there. So I'm wondering if a more economical alternative to determine whether or not an x-ray is even necessary could be to run a metal detector over her belly. Could your standard US coins be picked up through dog flesh, INCLUDING pennies? (she's ~ 30lbs, ~ 12" in diameter max.).

I appreciate any advice. (including things like..." a 'quality' detector might work, but not your basic entry-level detector" etc.) If this idea held promise, I'd start with renting a detector from the local rental store, and may well consider investing in one for the future (this silly dog is young - there could potentially be many years of coin eating ahead of us!) Thanks a whole lot - gary in the carolinas.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Piggy Bank and you have a Doggy Bank.:laughing7: She is probably large enough to pass a quarter but not a half.:dontknow:
Any metal detector will work but the more expensive ones will help in the ID process. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it much.
Give her some pepper coins as someone suggested to help break the habit.
Marvin

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think after 7 years, the problem has been solved.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe a pinpointer would be able to tell you also. But if the dog did swallowed a coin what's the concern...?

EDIT:

STUPID ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7 year old thread. I probably own the damn dog now....?

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think about training your dog not to eat coins...

Make a paste of cayenne pepper and coat some coins and place then about so the dog has access to them...

Once he associates the pepper with coins he will soon learn to not eat them.

I used this same method to cure my horse from cribbing on the corral rails...(cribbing is chewing when bored)

This sounds that your best bet...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread