diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not from Jamaica but I googled -Metal Detecting Jamaica, and it looks like you shouldn't have a problem from what i've read. Your best to stick with the "tourist" areas if your planning to do any beach detecting. Jamaica is a poor country and any Jamaican coins you find would not be worth much anyway. The current exchange rate is somewhere around 88-1. That's 88 Jamaican dollars to every 1 U.S. dollar. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
vanoldschool

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I'm not from Jamaica but I googled -Metal Detecting Jamaica, and it looks like you shouldn't have a problem from what i've read. Your best to stick with the "tourist" areas if your planning to do any beach detecting. Jamaica is a poor country and any Jamaican coins you find would not be worth much anyway. The current exchange rate is somewhere around 88-1. That's 88 Jamaican dollars to every 1 U.S. dollar. Good luck and keep us posted.
thanks will do, I just want to have my hands cutoff or something laike that...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
detectors are a common site on all the tourist beaches of South America, the islands there, etc.. There are even detector dealers in the major cities too I would suppose. But occasionally, you will read that someone has determined that you can't detect there in certain countries. What they're probably reading is national antiquities laws, shipwreck salvor laws, exporting gold bars, historical pyrmaid monuments, etc... But the reality is, just like in the USA, casual hunting for fumble fingers losses is not a problem.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what I'd be hunting in Jamaica rasta-emoticon.gif

Just sayin'.....

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they have some kind of law there and you can not detect certain parts, also beaches are private owned therefore you have to get permission, that is what I was told before I went on the cruise there last April. I didn't take mine because there were horror stories about theft, and I will tell you all the stories you hear about Mexico, has nothing compared to Jamaica, I will never go back to that place again!
Oh by the way do not wear any jewelry, and the cruise people told us not to take wallets or purses ashore. 2 people from our ship had there wedding rings taken right off there fingers by the little dudes tying thread bracelets on you. Once they get the bracelet on you they also want $10 for it. When it happened to the 3rd person she caught on and the police got the guy, but he had no rings on him. Be very careful because Jamaica is full of crooks. If going there by cruise your best deals is in the port terminal you won't find the stuff any cheaper on the streets, trust me I thought I could. Everyone there tries to sell you pot even little kids...the stuff is not legal unless you are on Bob Marley's farm in Jamaica and you will get arrested if you buy some. We also had a problem with the bars there not giving back correct change and trying to give it to you in Jamican money instead, they also demand to be tipped even though they take a tip out as well. The day after we left there a plane got hijacked from the airport. I really was disappointed, I thought Jamaica would be no worries, and a cool place to shop and chill, but it was awful. I hope your trip is better, plan ahead and book excursions.

M

michigan michael

Jamaica is a very beautiful place but you have to be-careful. If you leave the resort to detect, make sure you leave one ear open. My experience was everybody trying to sell me weed and I had a guy try to convince me to leave my walkman and wallet with him. In other words he was telling me I would get hurt if I did not give him what he wanted. I told him he was SOL cause he was not getting anything. A friend of his that was with him pulled him away. I made sure I stayed close to the resort after that.

Its still a great place.... Have an awesome vacation! :icon_thumleft:

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
Three years ago my husband and I took the kids to Jamaica "Beaches" resort for our 15th anniversary to renew vows. The resort had a very international following and they worn an amazing amount of jewelry to the beach. I don't know why I didn't think to take my detector, but i sure kicked myself when i saw a guest on the sand every morning with his and heard that he had found over 20 diamond rings, gold earrings and watches over a 5 day period just detecting for an hour each morning!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions