Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a call from a lady here on the island and she wanted to know if I was available to try and find a metal rod in a big maple tree. Seems it was struck by lightening years ago and either a metal rod or a big c-clamp was put in tree to help hold it together. Over time the growth of the tree has swallowed it up and now the are gonna cut it down but would like to know where the metal is first. I;ve never tried to look for anything in a tree before.. ??? Anyone try this before or know how repsonsive my M6 may be and what depth I may get?? This one is definitely a different request.. :icon_scratch:

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
I havent had any experience with metal detecting trees, But i am pretty sure that your detector will detect any magnetic field in the tree.

After all, isnt that how they found alot of these pieces of wood with CW bullets in them!

Sasnz

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should be able to pick it up with no problems just think of the rebar you pick up under concrete

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got up there and there were two large maple trees and the owner stated that the clamp and/or rod was in one of the trees but no one was sure which tree it was in. I fired up the M6 and went around both trees and I did find a bunch of nails and on one of the trees I got a good signal all around the circumference of the tree and I think it is the clamp. I didn;t get a good solid "screaming" signal that I was hoping to get when I passed the coil over it. I was in all metal mode and had the sensitivity turned all the way up. The clamp was put in over 20 years ago so has at least that much growth around it.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
In 20 years you should still be able to see scars or bark that just isn't normally flowing as the rest of the bark is.
I remember seeing a post on the "cache" site about finding coins that were put in a hollow tree. His detector was going off when he placed it leaning against a wood pile.
Anyway, let them use their chainsaw, not yours. :wink:

BW

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run in all-metal mode, and pinpoint as you normally would (except an a vertical axis), then mark with spray paint for them where the rod is.

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Run in all-metal mode, and pinpoint as you normally would (except an a vertical axis), then mark with spray paint for them where the rod is.

Thats what I did BB....got where I am pretty sure the rod is all sprayed with orange paint....jsut can;t be 100% sure that it is exactly where it is...tree is over 3 feet around but told the guy that is gonna cut it that I gaurentee nothing, but am fairly sure I got it marked right.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
BuckleBoy said:

Thats what I did BB....got where I am pretty sure the rod is all sprayed with orange paint....jsut can;t be 100% sure that it is exactly where it is...tree is over 3 feet around but told the guy that is gonna cut it that I gaurentee nothing, but am fairly sure I got it marked right.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HunterSteve said:

Am gonna have to wait to see how accurate I was in marking things....the guy that was originally goona cut the trees down decided they were too close to the power lines and decided to let a larger tree company with bucket trucks deal with them (smart choice). So when they get on the island I will see how how I did in marking things....I know I at least saved a couple chains on jsut the nails I marked for them.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
decided they were too close to the power lines and decided to let a larger tree company with bucket trucks
====================================================================
By far, probably the best move. I worked that job here for 8 years, 3 year apprenticeship to be a certified
line clearance journeyman. More like a tree surgeon with linesman training. In most places, the local tree
guys(notice I didn't say tree experts) are not allowed by law to trim trees within a certain distance of
energized lines (wires). And this distance varies greatly by the voltage being transmitted. Too many people
think you can't be electrocuted thru wood, live trees have water in them & will complete that circuit that can
& does kill people.

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tubecity....you are correct, here in Maine you also need to have a special license to (legally) cut trees near any power lines. As for myself, whenever I am cutting I won;t even think of trying to drop a tree if it is anywhere near any lines, for I have seen trees go the wrong way even when the so called "experts" (which I am definitely NOT an expert) have taken em down. I have the utmost respect for electricity and don;t fool with it and was glad to see or hear that the guy that was originally gonna take the trees down showed common sense and refused to take em down...one, he is not line certified and two, even if he was he didn't wanna mess with em. I will check with the other company when they arrive to take em down and see how good my M6 picked out the metal in the trees...am kinda curious to see how well it worked thru the tree... :dontknow:

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
It would be interesting to hear how the MD'er worked thru the wood. I found a few metal
objects in trees, unfortunately it was with a chainsaw. ;D It doesn't do much good for the
cutting chain I've learned. ::) Let us know how it worked out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread