Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this question was asked to me , I'm curious what others think , I am by no means an expert I own an ID machine an one non ID machine ....Do you think having an ID display on your detector helps you find things` , do you think you could find the same things with a non ID display detector, do you find you depend on the ID more than your ears an your knowledge .Do you see the ID Disply as just something else to divert your attention or does it help any other way than to cherry pick.

once again this was a question that I was asked , if your just gonna bash or flame me dont bother to reply .

thanks Tank HH :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank, crash and burn :laughing9: Just kidding. Interesting you mention this. I use a simple machine Ace 250 and mostly listening for the tones. Once I have something I think is of interest I check the readout on the screen, just to see how close it is. Maybe at time I am digging plenty of trash just like every other person here, but we are not missing anything either :icon_thumleft: Then again many may differ with me too, so what :dontknow: :laughing9:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great topic Tank.
I own 2, ID machines an one non ID machine . I mainly listen for the tone. With the ID detectors, most of the time they give me far more info than I care to sort through . The ID Display as just something else to divert my attention. I think that good headphones have a lot to do with the answer.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have both and have made many finds with either. I do feel that beginners should start with a beep and dig machine and dig pretty much everything until they get to know it, and its language well. While ID machines do give more immediate information, the display is still only a machine's best guess and not always accurate although many of the current models are pretty good.
I have found it interesting that while they often mistake pulltabs for nickles, scrap or melted aluminum blobs for coins, I don't believe I've ever seen one miss on a coin (when it indeed was a coin) and id it as junk unless it would be deep enough that the id wouldn't be reliable on any target.

The audible signals on the 2 id machines i own give me the first indication of whether I should dig or not and then i check the id to see if that re-enforces what I've already mostly decided. I've dug many a piece of can slaw, broken/bent pull tab, metal eraser pencil ends etc. that all indicated coin on the displays. On my beep and dig machines I could often determine whether or not it was junk target by thumbing the discrimination knob with comparable results versus the id machines.

In the end though I'm not one to say someone is wrong with either choice. If you like TID, use it. If you prefer beep and dig, use it. Either way you'll pull some goodies from the ground.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself own 1 ID machine an 1 non ID machine an to be honest I feel when I use the ID machine I look at that more than going by my ears even tho mostly I just look at the depth ID but have noticed I watch everything else more than just keeping it simple an going by what I know I'm hearing , an it slows` me down more to second guess an study every signal instead of just listening an hunting like I do with my non ID machine, maybe its because I learned on a non ID machine an just feel more comfortable with it , maybe I just haven't learned well enough what my ID machine is trying to SHOW me I don't know. Just what I have noticed with myself.

I thought this was a really intresting question when I was asked this.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the ID machines I've owned, I used them the same way. Disc out out iron and dig everything else. They were pretty accurate on coins, but if you're going to dig anyway, it just seems like eye candy. I've never yet seen one say "RING" or "NECKLACE" :laughing7:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tank,

I wouldn't even consider bashing you brother. :icon_pirat:

I guess I'm total old school on this but NO ID for me. Hard for me to read the display anyway. :help:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey Tank,

Have one of both like you. If a company rep asked me about my opinion of the ID model, I would say it sucks. I can't see the screen unless it is held at just the right angle and my wrist is dislocated. Seems it ought to be able to be improved, for the price of this machine. Listen for the tone, is my way, then I may look at the screen just to verify.
JMO

BW

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
Hey Tank, I own 2 Fisher 1225's. No ID, just turn on and go with a sensativity and discrimination knob. I do great with them. I think it just boils down to knowing your machine. Great topic.

Justin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let me put it this way, with a true example of the merits of TID machines:

A friend and I were hunting a furroughed ag. field area, where an assimilitation/contact period indian rancheria had been. The site turns up reales, buttons, relics, etc.... Since it is a "relicky" site, we both hunt it with a "relic mindset". Ie.: "dig all" (with the exception of iron). He was using a 6000 Di pro with meter ID, and I was using an Explorer with tone-ID. As it turns out, we would hunt this spot at night (because of our work schedules), so his 6000 di pro screen was hard to see. But he didn't care, since we were in an "dig all" frame of mind. And I too would dig all signals, even in-spite of the tone ID on the Explorer.

However, night after night, I would always spank him 3 to 1 on coins and buttons. Like if I got 3 coins and 3 buttons, he'd only have 1 each, etc... But when we would go to count our "woulda-couldas" (junk, aluminum, period green copper slag, doohickeys, etc...), our counts would be almost the same. Why then was I constantly getting coins and buttons in higher quantities? At first he mused that I must be "cherry picking", because of my tone ID (which his 6000 lacked). I assured him that I was not purposefully cherry picking, and I simply didn't know why I was spanking him. Depth was not the issue, since it was a plowed field, and since our target counts were approximately the same.

Finally I/we figured out why the explorer was spanking him: Because the field was SO prolific with targets to choose from, my mind must've been subconsciously passing the flittier junky sounds, in favor of the "round" clean sounds. It wasn't on purpose mind you, since I was in "relic mindset". It was totally subconscious, because with oodles of targets to choose from, the mind will gravitate to the sweeter sounding ones, and pass the can-slaw thin whispy non-round sounding ones. I suppose the 6000 Di pro guy could do the same thing, if he was watching the screen and the way the needles bounces, but the tone ID just made it easier and instaneous.

You can guess that by the 4th or 5th such spanking, he immediately went out and got an Explorer ::) This is just one type hunting though, so this type benefit of TID may not apply in a lot of other situations.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks for everyones thoughts on this it's been interresting to hear what everyone else thinks on this subject .

HH Tank

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning: Watch that Iron rejection setting, it could hide a small can full of Gold Coins.

I D is basically for coin hunting, actually worthless in cache hunting.

I am from the old school, habit still requires me to dig up every reaction, but then I am a cache or lost mine hunter basically.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. SWR, I am curious, your post said "I detect where I dig". that is a perfectly correct answer on the two correct possibilites. The above and " I dig where I detect". ???????????

hmmmm. k bumpity bump.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD AFTERNOON swr: You posted -->

I realize English is not your primary language, and I can't write in Mexican. However....here is what I actually said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are correct, my native language is Californianese. Later modified at the University to Yankyese, and still later by the USAF, to Officer militaryese. But then, we can't all have your educational advantages. Still, in my own way, I do try.

I thank you for diplomatically pointing out my linguistic and mental discrepancies. I need to be aware of them in order for me to learn and advance myself.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. I would suggest that you get to cracking on Mexicanese / Cubanese since it will soon be the dominant language in the US - unfortunately - especially in Florida.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there is a language called Mexican? :icon_scratch:
And all this time I thought it was Spanish. :dontknow:

Oh well,

I dig it all. Hunt in all metal and no discrimination. It beeps.....I dig. I just try to stay away from the trashy parts of town that's all. :laughing7:

I like to see what all I can find, and in all metal you find everything! I am usually not looking for single coins or CW relics, even though I find those too. I am really mostly looking for the stash of coins and anything gold or silver. So I dig it all, and miss very little.

While others are fiddling with the knobs and looking at inaccurate readouts wondering what made it beep, I'm digging. I may spend more time on my knees than a Muslim at Ramadan, but I find a lot of treasure.....to me anyway. :thumbsup:

Whichever way that suits you the best, is the way to do it. People are different, the detectors are different, and so are the treasures.

I also detect where I dig, But hardly ever dig without detecting, although I have detected without digging. :tongue3:

GG~

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need no stinking ID. ;D

I can tell everything I need to know by thumbing the knobs on my detectors, chanting voodoo, using tricks with pinpoint mode, and listening to the beeps.

The information I can gather about a target includes: size, depth, and composition (iron, aluminum, coin, brass, lead, etc.).

For me, the ID is just another gadget that they charge you for.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,178510.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69, you fool, those companies spent a lot of money in putting those Atari symbols on that display and we must avail ourselves of them! Just kidding, bud. I started with a non ID and got pretty good with that tone. I got an ID machine now and still go by the tone more. I search out unlikely spots so I will wind up digging every slight beep. As to languages, there is a language called Messican, GoodyGuy, or Spanglish. You can hear it a lot down around the border. I learned Mexican Spanish because that's what my wife speaks, and I need to know it if I want something to eat. When she's mad, I can be pretty much no comprendo. Most of us can stumble through Spanish and understand it more or less, but God help us all if Portuguese becomes the latest rage.

Fr3nchy27

Mar 21, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 12-25
BuckleBoy said:
I don't need no stinking ID. ;D

I can tell everything I need to know by thumbing the knobs on my detectors, chanting voodoo, using tricks with pinpoint mode, and listening to the beeps.

The information I can gather about a target includes: size, depth, and composition (iron, aluminum, coin, brass, lead, etc.).

For me, the ID is just another gadget that they charge you for.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,178510.0.html

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Agree 100%!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions