Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
HI ALL ;D I HAVE BIN RELIC HUNTING SINCE 1983 IN A PRIME LOCATION IN GASPE, QUEBEC BEFORE I MOVED OUT WEST HERE IN 1991. IT DIDNT TAKE ME LONG TO FIND A GREAT PARTNER THAT WAS INTO THE FUR TRADE ERA AND
VICTORIAN ERA ARTIFACTS. MANY A HOUR WAS WELL USED TALKING OVER THE PHONE AT NIGHT ON FUTURE HUNTS
AND COMPARING NOTES ON THE SITES THAT WE HUNTED , WE RESEARCHED EVERY RELIC THAT WAS FOUND DURRING THE WINTER MONTHS AND WOULD SHOOT THE BREEZE AS OUR WIFES PLAYED CARDS AND TAKE OFF ON THERE SHOPPING SPREE'S. VIC PASSSED AWAY 3 YEARS AGO AND IS EXREMELY MISSED. IN THE PAST 2 YEARS I HAVE BIN APPROACHED 3 TIMES BY RELIC HUNTERS LOOKING FOR A PARTNER, HMMM! SEEMS LIKE A BLESSING RITE ???
WELL I QUIKLY FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS RELIC HUNTERS THAT WERE LOOKING FOR NEW SPOTS TO HUNT AROUND HERE , SURE THERE WOULD BE A COST OF SHARING A SITE THAT WAS CHERRY PICKED WITH THIS WANT-A-BE PARTNER
WHILE YOUR PAY DAY SITES ARE CASUALY MENTIONED, BANG!! THE BAIT IS GRABED AND A DESCRIPTION AND THE WARE ABOUTS OF THESE SITE ARE ASKED. NOW A DAYS IF I AM ASKED TO HUNT WITH A FELLOW RELIC HUNTER FOR THE 1ST TIME , I SHOW UP WITH OUT MY TRASH POUCH AND A SMALL SHOVEL ALONG WITH MY 3RD PICK OF RELIC MACHINES SUCH AS THE SPECTRUM CAUSE AFTER ALL , I AM ABOUT TO HUNT A WELL HUNTED AREA THAT HAS LITTLE OR FEW RELICS LEFT FOR THE PICKING. MY MAIN MACHINE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BIN THE 6000 SRS 3 THAT CAN KICK BUTT AND SCORES ME SOME NICE RELICS WHEN I GO BACK TO THESE SITES ALONE , AND YES I DO TAKE MY TRASH APRON ALONG AND MY DIRT SHARK. NOW TALKING TO THESE POTENTIAL PARNTERS THAT ARE JUST LOOKING TO RAID YOUR SITE WITH THEIR OWN BUDDIES CAN BE FUN OVER THE PHONE , THEY ALWAYS SCREW UP AND SLOWLY
SHOW THEIR TRUE INTENT. HAVE A GOOD ONE ! PS; THANKS FOR THE SQUARE LEAD SEAL CIRCA 1814 ST.PAULS MONTREAL. TRADE GOODS MARKET :icon_thumleft:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
YES, ...ONE THING I ALWAYS LIKED TO DO WITH 'SKETCHY' SITES IS SEEK A FELLOW HUNTER. NOT ONLY WILL WE COVER THE SAME AMOUNT TERRITORY QUICKER, BUT IF WE GET IN TROUBLE, ITS ONLY HALF BAD.

THERE ARE SOME SITES AROUND HERE THAT ARE BOUGHT UP BY BIG CORPORATIONS LOOKING TO BUILD A BIG PLANT. I REALIZE THAT THEY ARE AT HOME ON THE WEEKENDS, AND THAT'S THE BEST TIME TO HUNT. SPECIALLY SUNDAY EARLY IN THE MORNING.

Hey Bud, if you need a hand searching the "Scammer's" spot, let me know and I'll help you hammer it!
At least we know who the real relic hunters are and who is just a wannabe. :laughing9:
Can't wait to hit the field again with you Bro.
Dave.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
i have been detecting alone since i started detecting 2 years ago.i have a few productive spots.i would love to find a detecting buddy.but my concerns are the same as yours.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a scammer, or thief as I like to call him, a long time ago when I was young and naive. I used my contacts and did a lot of research and field work on a site, as we were 'partners'. Ol 'partner' snuck in about 2 hours ahead of me and left a real nice empty hole. I got an idea, but who knows what he got? Never seen him since, and learned a valuable lesson about greed and misplaced trust.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got a story for ya. I got back into detecting about 2 years ago because we had moved to the South and the Civil War relics were calling my name. Anyway, I found out about a guy outside Athens that was looking for a partner, so I decided to share and right off the bat, when I told him about a suspected site he went out there without me (during the work week) and nearly got caught trespassing. Looking back I've come to realize that I was being scammed by this guy as he was having me over to hunt an area around his father's place that he claimed he'd been finding camp artifacts. He showed me the pieces and let me hunt, but all I was finding was an occasional bullet. Meanwhile, he was pumping on what my research had come up with and what sites I was finding. Unlucky for him I wasn't finding anything virgin or even not heavily pounded. Anyway, he started finding great stuff at this "site" at his father's; a colt pistol in unusually good shape, a union breast plate, a lot of unfired bullets, etc. Well, after a while I pieced together that he had actually found a campsite in the woods about a half mile from his house and was working it, then taking some of the bullets and seeding spots around his father's house to make it seem like he was "sharing" and therefore should benefit from the sites I uncovered. It took me a year to figure out that this was what he was up to from little snatches of conversation we'd had and the growing suspicion that I was being had. He wound up eating the wrong end of a gun when he got busted for Identity Theft, but I had already stopped hunting with him before that because of my suspicions.

Yeah, be sure of who your hunting partner is and be aware that anything with the promise of "Treasure" has a high probability of bringing out the worst in people.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well bama bill ---since your not so "buddy" isn't hunting the spot about 1/2 mile from his house anymore--it'll be a shame to let it go to waste. :icon_thumright: think of it as your "inheritance" from him for having to deal with him.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I've thought of approaching the landowner that he was friends with and seeing if I can get a crack at the site he must have been working. I never saw the site, but he had told me about it in round about ways over that year and I had wondered why he had donated a bunch of his finds to the landowner .5 mile away. He had said he was friends with the guy and was doing it because of how much the guy admired the stuff my former partner was finding (more hooey). I think he was feeding me bits and pieces of the truth wrapped in lies.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
when you mix the two --lies and truth --it makes other folks swallow it eazier . --- real pro con men types like him have learned their trade well -- always co mingle a lie with a truth --so if your caught-- you can point out the true stuff as "proof" that your honest and say of the lie --you must have "misunderstood me" on that part. --very very old school con man 101 type stuff.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I don't think there are any of us 'better intentioned (naieve) people' that haven't been burned into the crusty people we are now by folks of a lesser moral fibre . They made us what we are by their own
malfesience .

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make your new partners drive to the site blindfolded in your trunk so there is no problems later on. If they don't know where they are they can't come back to clean the place out....just a thought.

NJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
folks in the trunk and blindfolded in jersey normally aren't coming back thats for sure .

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
blindfold.......... LMAO

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SURE THERE WOULD BE A COST OF SHARING A SITE THAT WAS CHERRY PICKED WITH THIS WANT-A-BE PARTNER

Yep...I feel your pain. When people ask me I tell them I find all my stuff on top of Longs peak in Colorado. (14,000ft. above sea level) I learned a long time ago when I would take my "friends" fly fishing for steelhead. I would tell them "don't come out here by yourself!" Sure enough a couple weeks later I would get a call from the owners of the property saying "some guy was on my property saying he knows you and that it was ok to fish here" Embarrasing! Same for metal detecting folks. I hate to say it but, tell no one if you like your hard researched spots. I have had the same problems metal detecting. They bring their friends or family members "HOPPING" your sites even at NIGHT! Yeah I've heard. I tell no one any more. Sorry but it's true....That's MY opinion on that. I work too damn hard to find these little spots. If you Insist on telling somone make sure they are willing to committ by sharing(or finding) new spots as well. Don't take them to your prime spots at first. Take them to a spot that may have some good stuff in the ground. After the hunt, tell them " Now It's your turn to set up the next hunt". If they are sincere they will be more than willing to oblige. It wont take long to figure them out. It's a bad feeling when you think you can trust a bloke and you realize they are freeloading on you for your sites. You tell them DON'T come back with out me I have the owners trust and gained the permission through our fraternity. You come back to your site and there are holes everywhere. I call the person and ask and they bold face lie to you and say "duhh it wasn't me" Yes, they may be weird enough to come back at night . :nono: :evil7: :evil7:

HHHH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread