Old keys - What to do??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost everytime I hunt I find at least one old key. These are not skeleton keys but just regular run of the mill house, car or other keys. Is there any monitary value to old keys? Is there any one out there that buys this kind of stuff? They really add up quick and if I can't make any coin of them I may just toss them out in the trash.

Thanks for the info.
NJ

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recycle them.

I have a brass bin--since I CLEAN ALL PIECES that I find to make 100% certain they aren't a keeper, I toss the pieces or twisted brass, water faucets, etc. in there. I also put all the keys in there too--since most of them are brass.

When I make a yearly recycling run with the brass, it is worth 10x the face falue of the coins I dig in a year.

Regards,

Buckles

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a guy on craigslist who bought all my keys, last batch I sent him was 32 odds and ends house/car keys....he paid me $15

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I once was hunting a baseball field and found a key ring with a couple of keys with U.S. Post Office and the name of the town I was hunting in. They had been hit by a lawn mower but weren't damaged that bad. I figured the guy that cut the grass probably worked at the post office and the keys fell off while mowing. A couple of days later I stopped by the post office and gave them back. The lady I gave them to didn't seem to care. It was like, so what, who cares. :icon_scratch:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just been tossing them in my odds and ends bag. I think I will start saving more intently and get some clad for them :laughing9:

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goes4ever said:
I found a guy on craigslist who bought all my keys, last batch I sent him was 32 odds and ends house/car keys....he paid me $15

Did he advertise that he wanted old keys? $15 for 32 keys is awesome. They were all modern house and car keys??

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Goes4ever said:
he advertised..........was several months ago
Did he advertise that he wanted old keys? $15 for 32 keys is awesome. They were all modern house and car keys??

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just sold another batch to the same guy...........35 keys, I sent him these pics, and asked him to make me an offer, he offered me $30 including shipping...I gladly accepted! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• S6303512.JPG
    S6303512.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • S6303515.JPG
    S6303515.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 974

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used