Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
The compadre is a very good machine. I started out with a silver u-max and then upgraded to a vaquero. When I went back to sites I had covered with the silver, I found very little because the silver had already found most of the goodies to be found. The vaquero found some things deeper than the silver but not alot. Then I bought my little girl a compadre because of the weight. She's still a little too young for it so I find myself using it more and more. Last weekend I took it out to a site I have covered with my silver and my vaquero and found things both machines had missed. One was a spoon. Now how do you miss a spoon. :icon_scratch:

The compadre is very good at cherry picking because it has a small coil. It's a lot slower because you need to lap half the width of the coil on every sweep. If you want to coin shoot, set it to max disc. and it will only find quarters, dimes and an occasional penny.

In my opinion, the compadre is a great machine. Everyone needs one.

Good Luck
Randy

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were just starting out and knew what I know now, and my budget were $200 and under, I would without a doubt get a Compadre.

The only thing that would make me lean toward a Silver umax would be the interchangeable coils and the fact that you can crank the sensitivity to 10+ and get even more depth. I wouldn't mind having an F2 or perhaps even an Ace250, but I have gone over mostly to the analog style machines.

Check out some of TabDog's posts. He uses a Compadre almost exclusively.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I see them for $150 on ebay shipped free, seems you cant beat that deal for a good beginning machine.. I was sad to part with my GMT but I got it in a great deal and I think its more for advanced users and gold prospectors..

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I know about the GMT, it's set up to distinguish between iron / non-iron. I don't think it has discrimination in the sense you're looking for in a coin/jewelry machine.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
From what I know about the GMT, it's set up to distinguish between iron / non-iron. I don't think it has discrimination in the sense you're looking for in a coin/jewelry machine.

Correct! It was just a probability of iron on each reading which would be great if I was strictly in it for gold nuggets, I am more beginning trying to make some clad lol learn the machines then move up slowly..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread