1st detector

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
I didn't look @ the link, but if it were me, I'd buy a Whites!!!!! I've had a bare bones 4900d since the '80's....no meter, just knobs and I've found everything from as small as CW brass percussion caps & bb's to live Confederate cannonballs. I have found a CS belt buckle, Union Eagle breast plate, countless bullets, buttons, coins and even a gold ring. I even found a sword scabbard minus the leather...that would be the hilt??? & the tip in my own yard. Of course I have dug up all the garbage & other crap that you would expect to find, but with a Whites machine, you can distinguish what the signals are going to be and the depth, after some experience with it, even without a meter in front of your face, just by the sound each type of metal makes.

Just my loyal opinion

Jon

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, I was gonna order mine from ebay, they seem to have better deals..

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
But, did you see the free stuff that comes with it at KellyCo? Kelly Co is a no BS company, they get it right the first time with top notch customer support. I bought my Ace250 through them and received it in no time.

No worries though, your welcome for the link. Good luck in your search for the right detector.

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab X-terra 30 is around the same price as the ace 250 might want to check it out.

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
either kellyco or go to the forums selling threads near bottom of page poppa has alot of nice things going right now

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LaKASkill said:
But, did you see the free stuff that comes with it at KellyCo? Kelly Co is a no BS company, they get it right the first time with top notch customer support. I bought my Ace250 through them and received it in no time.

No worries though, your welcome for the link. Good luck in your search for the right detector.

The free stuff that comes with it is from the manufactor, most if not all good dealers will give you the same stuff.

You can also check the "for sale" board here, lots of good deals there to be found.............

jap1966

Oct 2, 2009
Colcord, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
I just got into hunting myself and I would agree with the at least checking at Kellyco. The reason is you can contact them and ask questions that you have and buying used might get you into a problem like I did. I bought a Whites Prism ll used at a pawnshop and used it once and the next time I pulled it out it had no audio. I called the whites Manufacturer and it would not have been cost effective to get it repaired. So all I am saying no matter where you get your first detector try to get a warranty, but good luck on your search. You will not regret getting into detecting it is a great Hobie. Jap :icon_thumright:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HunterSteve said:
Thanks for the link, I was gonna order mine from ebay, they seem to have better deals..

I think if you compare the prices, you will find the same price offered by online retailers like metaldetector.com and Kellyco. Ebay deals may have the SAME price, but they do not have BETTER prices. I've never ordered from kellyco, but the service I got from the folks at metaldetector.com was awesome. You tend to get better service from bricks-n-clicks dealers than strictly online e-tailers.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kellyco. I've done business with them for years. Do not regret it...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jap1966 said:
I just got into hunting myself and I would agree with the at least checking at Kellyco. The reason is you can contact them and ask questions that you have and buying used might get you into a problem like I did. I bought a Whites Prism ll used at a pawnshop and used it once and the next time I pulled it out it had no audio. I called the whites Manufacturer and it would not have been cost effective to get it repaired. So all I am saying no matter where you get your first detector try to get a warranty, but good luck on your search. You will not regret getting into detecting it is a great Hobie. Jap :icon_thumright:

I have bought 8 used detectors, one off of Ebay, the rest off of the boards either here or TD. Every one of them arrived in good condition and working with out a problem. I am in the process of buying another Excal 1000 used right now. I do not have the slightest fear of it not working properly. I would not buy one from a pawn shop that didn't have a warranty....

If you buy one from an active local member, who has been here for awhile (no slight meant to any new members) you will get a good deal on a good detector and most of us are honest and care about our reputations.

In the long run you get a better deal on a mid to high end detector used as you can sell it and get most of your money back. The depreciation was absorbed by the original buyer.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Definitely go with kellyco. You will get a bunch of free stuff, a warranty, and they are just plain good people to deal with. Get which ever metal detector feels right to you. I can personally vouch for Garrett being a great machine though. People are finding amazing stuff all over the world with that thing. If you are into relic hunting at all though you might want to check out at least the "GTAx 550' or the "Master hunter CX plus" the master hunter is a beast at relics and coins. Good luck with your first machine and happy hunting! :icon_thumright:

TG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread