beach hunting problem ??

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
it seems that every time we get close to the water/wet sand we will get a reading that looks like a good solid reading possible coin, then we dig and cant find anything . we dug and put it all in a strainer so we dint lose it . but we dug huge holes the reading kept saying it was close to the surface. but after a foot deep maybe more we would give up .

any ideas why this keeps happing?

we like the idea beach hunting easy digging, but it doesn't seem to be working for us. what are we doing wrong. ?

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suspect you have a bad azz detector that goes deep. Dig deeper. Or lighten up on the settings some.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
What type of detector are you using. If you are in a heavily minerilzed area many detectors will false. I used to try my 2500 at the beach and near the Rio Grande river mouth it would false left and right. After trying everything, even calling Garrett, I decided to follow a friend's advice and purchase a Minelab sovereign. The darn things works on 28 frequencies and it does not even sneeze at heavily mineralized soil. I hear the Fishers also do OK in this type of beach environment.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For the mineralized wet salt, turn your sens. and pre-amp gain (or whatever your brand machine calls it) down.

BTW, you wouldn't need to "strain all the sand" etc... Merely dig out your sand, then check the tailings piles to see if you get a signal. If no signal, then no need to "strain it", eh? In that case, it must still be in the hole (assuming you weren't getting a falst signal. Just keep pushing around the tailings with your foot, till you get the signal isolated to one small spot, and THEN "strain it" when you get it in your scoop (when ..... after scooping ... you don't hear it when scanning the pile anymore).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others say I highly suspect you are reading the salt minerals in the sand.

What kind of detector are you using? If it is not a detector designed for salt water you have to turn your sense way down, and sometimes even that will not work on some beaches and detectors for you.

Salt water hunting is a special type of hunting and requires a detector that can handle the salt minerals.

Good luck.......

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
BTW, I just wanted to say that I still have my 2500. That machine is the best off the beach, it just has trouble in a highly mineralized enviroment.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are still using that 20 years + old Garrett your picking up the positive effect of the wet salt.

You need to detect in TR mode only and adjust the discrimination control up to around the position that silver foil is discriminated out. You will be in effect ground balancing out the salt with the discrimination control.

OP
OP
kawalabear

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
the one we are using now is a Garrett 550 , i think it must be the salt water,

what kind of settings should we try?
any tips would be helpful and we would love to try them .

thanks,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn your sense down till it stabilizes, your overloading the detector with the salt minerals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread