Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,
I have a Tesauro Compadre and my father has a Minelab Sovereign. We mostly search salt water beaches in New England. I'd say we're about even on finds. I work the dry sand because I get a lot of false readings in the wet sand. I used my father's Minelab and it works great in the wet salt sand.

I'm looking to upgrade and to get an underwater detector. I'm talking wading and mostly in salt water. Any comments on what detector to buy? It would be ideal if it works well in wet salt sand and also on the dry beach.

Thanks for any comments.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heres what I know...That Compadre for the money is a sweet detector. :wink:

Without a bunch of b.s. it comes down to "what can I afford?"

From there I'll make it easy for you----

Minelab Excalibur 2 ---Waterproof up to 66 meters (or 200 ft)
weight (incl Nimh Battery) w/8 in coil 4.6lbs(2.1kg) or 5.1lbs (2.3kg)
Expect to pay from 1,395.00- $1,198.95 American dollars
Prices are the same for the 8 inch coil as well the 10in

Detectorpro makes some good machines too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a used Excal......You can pick up a good used Minelab Excalibur 1000 for $500-$600. (I just picked up one used for $475 from a web board at another site, sold by a dealer). I have seen several sold in that range lately. Your aleady use to the tones from using your fathers Sovereign so there would be very little learning curve if any.

Minelab only comes with a 1 year warranty now. If you buy one from a respected member looking to sale or get out of the hobby you can pick up a good machine for half of what a new Excall II would cost, and it will hold it's value for a long time, the depreciation is already deducted.

I have bought 7 detectors used and everyone arrived in perfect working order. I bought 1 off of Ebay and the rest off of the web boards, TN and TD. I bought from respected members and all were great deals.

Good luck and good hunting..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions