Whats the best coin loupe to get, also can you get them in stores?

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I have several different ones. One Bausch & Lomb 5x, one Harris 10x, one no name 30x and about 10 small noname 10x. The 30x is more like 10x. I got the 30x off ebay from a hong kong place for $.01 plus about $5 in shipping. The Harris and the B&L both cost me about $10 or 15 apiece. I like the junk 30x better then the others except that the screw that holds it together needs to be tightend about once a month or so. The brighteness on the junk 30x is so much better then the other two it is unbelievable. Don't expect that every cheap one off the bay will be like that though. I like the small no name 10x that I have too. They are not the greatest things but I wanted several small cheap ones so that I would have one with me at all times and if I left one somewhere it woulldn't bother me. You might try http://www.widgetsupply.com/for cheaper ones. That is where I got the 10 cheaper ones. I believe my expensive Harris 10x came from a Hobby Lobby and my B&L came from a coin store.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radio shack has got a decent one, its 3 in one.
More power is not always better, I bought a high power model at a coin show, great to examine the pours of a coin, just too much.
The radio shack one has 3 lenses that swing out, each progressively more powerful.

Walgreens drug stores have a magnifier for $5, its about the size of a credit card, not much thicker either.
Has a little push button LED light, doesn't magnify all that much but its very good for dates.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, just called my local walgreens, they have one left lol he said hed put it at the counter for me and hold it so I will go first thing in the morning.. it will do for now, do you know how much the radioshack one is?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$8.99, they occasionally put them on sale for $5
has 5,10 & 15x
I think 30x would be far too much, the fancy metal $20 one I got from a coin show is 20x, that thing collects dust in a back corner. Unless I ever need to examine an ants eyeballs, just don't have any use for pocket power like that. You'll find the perfect range from 5 to 15.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102638

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
There are a lot of good choices out there, but mine is the Bausch & Lomb 10X Hastings Triplet.
X.jpg
It's not cheap (around $40), but well worth the investment if you need a top-quality, compact magnifier.

S

stefen

You need a magnifying glass or loupe, then try any coin store...they all sell a variety...

Going to K-mart, Staples and similar stores is typically an exercise in futility...

It's like if you want a new pair of shoes, you don't go to Texaco or Chevron...

I have several identical to the one posted by PBK and find they range from a low of $20 and go upwards from there depending on the XXX...

Jan 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
whites sectrum xlt
I worked as a jeweer for 4/1/2 years and the best jewelers loupe you can buy that really magnafies is sold by snap-on tools.It is plastic and works real well.I always carry mine in my pocket.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find lopes like PBK's picture at any good rock & gem shop. They're used for checking rock samples for small crystalline structures.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
yup thats my idea coin shop rock shop or jeweler or a pawn shop sometimes the jewelry man will use it to where it is not jewelry grade but still good for coins and hook you up

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
I got my 10X at Books A Million, I think Borders and Barnes and Noble carries them also.
But I ordered my 60x-100X illuminated loupe off of EBAY. It was $4.99 plus $2.99 s&h.

Its really great for small errors and dates.

Attachments

• microscope.jpg
    microscope.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,080

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread