Your weather forecast for this winter for treasure hunting (El Nino)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking that the EL NINO will affect our hunting this winter. See what your area has in store for you.
The Midwest and Northern United States are likely to get a warmer winter,(easier and more comfortable to dig targets) while the Southeast can expect just the opposite: cooler and wetter conditions (easier to get good signals deep).

In Thursday's winter outlook, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says an El Nino weather event — warming in parts of the Pacific that affects weather worldwide — will be a major player in America's winter temperatures.

Forecasters predict warmer than usual temperatures would reach a swath from Washington to Michigan, dipping south to central New Mexico. Alaska also has a higher chance of warmer temperatures.

They also say cooler temperatures are expected from southern Texas to the Mid-Atlantic and in Hawaii.

Other places, such as the Northeast and California, can go any which way on temperatures.

Overall, slightly more than half the nation by area will be warmer than normal, but when it comes to where most people live, about half the population is likely to have warmer weather and the other half cooler, said Mike Halpert, deputy director of NOAA's Climate Prediction Center

The El Nino will play a big role in helping some drought-parched regions, Halpert said. Forecasters said there is a significantly higher probability of wetter winters for Texas, Florida and California and the southern parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest and part of the Midwest from Michigan to Arkansas are more likely to be drier than normal because of fewer storms across the Appalachian Mountains, Halpert said.

Halpert said the El Nino is currently weak but forecast to strengthen to a moderate-sized weather variation in the next few weeks. The El Nino not only influences the forecast but it gives forecasters more confidence that what they predict will come true, he said.

The El Nino makes forecasts for a wetter southern Texas and less than average snowfall in the northern Rockies far more likely to come true.
Well there you go.
HH
TnMountains

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Whenever the forecasters call for this (or just any storms in general), us CA beach hunters start watching the weather for swell-producing storms to batter and erode our beaches. :-*

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My weather forecast for the middle Rocky Mountain Area. Here pretty quick, there will be a bunch of snow which will impede metal detecting. Following that, the ground will freeze solid down to about 4 feet. That will put the quietus on the whole deal. This will be the time to conduct research. Barring that, the liquor store down on main street will be well stocked, and open for business. I'm not seein the global warmin thing here yet, maybe it's comin.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forcast ??? whats that.............we only get sunshine here :icon_sunny: :headbang:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor Richard's Almanac is forecasting a colder than normal winter. :read2:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mostly everyone in Maryland is predicting more snow this winter.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
El Nino is like global warming. We get what the lord gives us and not what the farmers almanac says and what these meteorologist say using their fancy computer models and are never right most of the time :-\ I have really got tired of watching the weather and most of the time it does something different. They just said on the weather channel that the earth is cooling down in places. That what I am saying. Oh well, just my thought on weather predictors :laughing9:

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got to stick up for the National Weather Service. My son is a lead forcaster in Central Illinois. Right in tornado alley. Has been with NOAA for 23 years. Always tells me they cannot keep everyone happy. No rain the farmers are mad. Lots of rain and the construction people are mad. Works long hours and they are one of the few places that still swing shift. They have 6 shifts and the swing ever week. When bad weather comes he may be at the Doppler station for 12 to 18 hours for his shift.Then go home and sleep a few hours and go back to his regular shift again.

S

stefen

The effects of El Nino in California vary by region...Southern California is classified as a desert and average rainfall is 13 inches.

Central California receives the brunt of the increased El Nino effect and may average +20 inches.

Then there is the Lost Coast area in southern Humboldt County that may get upwards of 200 inches annually. The Mattole River is there only outfall to the Pacific Ocean. Its not unusual to see 20 to 30 foot waves with infrequent rouge tsunamis.

The Lost Coast has also the highest earthquake activity in the United States and areas have risen as much as 3 feet in seconds.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lost coast sound like it would be a very exciting place to live. New landscape all the time. I bet its wickedly beautiful yet deadly.

S

stefen

TnMountains said:
The lost coast sound like it would be a very exciting place to live. New landscape all the time. I bet its wickedly beautiful yet deadly.

Been there many times, and yes, its an exciting place...its just remote with a seasonal jeep trail access.

The area is frequented primarily by hikers along the sand beach.

There is a small village on the fringe that was the location of the first oil wells in the US.

Interesting history for the area...stage coach roads, one room schools, bears and elk up the cazoo...

As to being deadly...you don't hike the Pacific Ocean trail during storms...always use bear bins to protect food...home of pygmy rattlers (on the sand)...

And the earth doesn't open up and swallow people...that's just too Hollywood...

This is not a Jurasic park...just a remote area that will stay that way forever...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time (about 14 years ago),when El Nino hit Texas all it brought us was lots of rain,in December of that year I got about 16 inches of rain that month and here in Austin,we had the best wildflowers on the side of the roads. :icon_sunny:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The farmers almanac is predicting a colder winter, with more snow than usual. Here in the southeast, it is predicting more than other parts of the country. We can all hope that they missed the forecast. Good Luck. rockhound

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
dazoff said:
Looking forward to it, last year was just plain nasty in the Pacific Northwest. :thumbsup:
I shoveled two to six inches of snow every couple of days for six weeks in Mason county. Got thirty one inches in that time period. Only ten inches deep at the most but never quit melting off before snowing again. A milder version of Buffalo,NY.

I would have gone rock hounding, but all of the rocks were white.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread