How often and how do you clean your metal detector, coil and digger tool?

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I finally got out, just in my backyard and dug a old long nail lol.. but when I looked at my digger tool.. (planters buddy) it was all dirty and I didnt want to put it back in my sheath, luckily I was out back so I just took it in and rinsed it off and it seems clean, also just dipped my coil in my sons pool and it rinsed away.. however tomorrow I am going to hit some tot lots and was wondering how you can fastly clean your digger before putting it in the sheath or do you just stick it in there dirty? Thanks from a newbie..

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I bought my Ace 250 four years ago and it still has the dirt on it from the first time out plus the hundreds of times since then.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a clean freak. I clean my detector when it needs it. If I don,t get it very dirty I usually don't clean it. I do remove the coil cover and dump it when I am in any sandy soil. I rinse off my pin pointer simply to keep from getting my apron full of dirt. But for my digger and shovel, I clean them if I am not going detecting the next day. Why? I have noticed when I dig moist, wet soil that soil will start to rust the diggers. So I rinse of the dirt and coat with oil, engine oil works great.

One exception to cleaning when needed is when I get in salt water, Then I clean as soon as possible and take apart the detector and wipe with a cloth.

Once a year I clean all my detectors and coat metal shafts and boxes with auto polish. (Usually in the winter.)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I remove what dirt I can from my digger in the field,what dirt gets in the sheath will dry and can be knocked out later.I wipe digger,detector/coil,pinpointer,sheath down with damp cloth and dry as soon as I get home,each and every time.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't clean my detector a whole lot. I'll clean off the coil & coil cover if it's got mud on it, or if it has sand inside the cover... but outside of that, I wipe off the control box of any dust and basically treat my machine well. As far as my digger... I just wipe it off on my pants before I put it back in the sheath. I've had to wash out the sheath once though, 'cause it was pouring rain and I just couldn't get the trowel clean of the mud. Eh... oh well.

Bran <><

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I at least rub the dust off and check for anything stuck in the coil cover every trip. Major cleaning depending on the conditions of the area hunted. Monty

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my ace I got in a trade didnt come with a cover and the coil looks pretty banged up but works good, is it too late to buy a cover?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's never too late to buy a coil cover, unless the coil is dangling by it's wires! :laughing7:
If solid & working good, then get a cover to keep it working good down the road...

Bran <><

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i clean mine after every hunt regardless of what its been through. it just makes me feel better knowing its clean and ready for the next hunt. i also inspect the coil/probe connections and the coil washers and bolts.i always carry extras with me just in case also.
Do i need help.... :dontknow:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Minerals can build up around the edges of the coil cover and give false signals. The only place I usually clean.
Newt

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning BETH: You posted -->

'Clean it? '
~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, I see that we are going to have problems. You must remember that besides gathering firewood, cleaning up the camp site, cooking, washing the dishes, equipment, and laundry, you are expected to rub down the mules each night besides seeing to their feed and water - 'and' have hot coffee brewing all of the time. ROY has been sadly neglectful.

Don Jose de La Mancha

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil = never
Digger = after every target
Paints = after every hunt
sox = Every day
Truck = every 6 months weither it needs it or not.

B

Big1011Guy

I Beach Hunt so I rinse everything off as soon as I get Home and do a quick check on the Connections, Nuts and Bolts. Man, I love my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II - It's Waterproof, Sandproof and Built Solid. Rinse the Detector including Headphones Off with the Garden Hose and Occasionally put some Petroleum Jelly on the "O" Rings for the Coil and Headphone Connections and you are ready for your next Detecting Adventure.
Guy

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time opening my coil cover for deus after a very wet sand beach hunt.
Can you clean the coil with wet papertowel, seems like the surface is very sticky probably because its so new. I know the coil is waterproof so should I just run it under water or can it be wiped without damaging the surface of it ?

The surface is so sticky that sand got stuck to the surface, was a afraid to wipe it too much, maybe I shouldn't remove the coil cover too often though :dontknow:

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clean my digger every time i get home (knock off dirt before putting it back in holder)
clean detector every time i get home

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep damage already done

Yup, read that there are people that don't even bother with the coil cover, just wanted to be overcautious once again, its my second nature with everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread