what got you started in metal decting ?

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus
My uncle got me into metal detecting, I saw all the cool stuff he found hunting a local lake, so I borrowed his detector, and was hooked. I traded him a rifle for his Radio Shack detector, later I bought a Classic 3. A few years later, I bought a Fisher 1280x that eventually got stolen out of my truck :angry4:
So now I only have a Classic 3, and a 4900 dl pro plus, looking at a PI
HH
Steve

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
A guy that I hunted and fished with. He showed me his White 6000 Di Pro and I had to have one. I have been addicted ever since. My dad is addicted even more :icon_sunny:
Dan

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
my dad got me into this sickness way back in the early 70's when i was about 10 liveing in vanvleck TX. he has since slowed beeing 70 now, but im still goin. hopefully till im 70 or so.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
In the summer of 08 I was brainstorming things. I was tired of hobbies that cost a lot and had little return(like fishing). I wanted one that was fun and would bring more in than I put out. Living 3 blocks from a resort oceanfront, the idea of detecting hit me so I bought a cheapo machine and hit the sand. 2 weeks later I dropped $1200 on an excal2 and hit the beach almost daily, sometimes twice daily. January of 09 I started relic and coin hunting, and man, what fun. Love adding to my coin collection without buying coins. I only wish the coins would replenish magically. It is no fun when your greatest site is empty of signals.
Anthony

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That Q. took me back to 'old school' days.
In the late 50s, I ended up one day in a Ft. Lauderdale area hospital. My roommate there introduced himself as a 'treasure hunter' (now I wonder if it was Mel, BM or ??). In any event, the stories he told me gave me the incentive to get certified in 1960; and I've had the 'bug' ever since.
Don....

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around 1975 i was in Garland with my C-J Jeep when I broke a top Radiator hose. I turned down a street to get out of traffic and saw a large fountain in front of a building. The fountain had a ship's anchor in it. Knowing I was going to need water, I coasted up to the fountain and got out my screwdriver to remove the old hose. Although it was sunday, a man came out of the building to see if he could help. He drove me to a parts store to pick up a new hose. He took me in to the building to wash up. It was Bill Mahan. I bought my D-Tex professional from him that afternoon, and a number of "Gold Mountains" from his son later. (Still Have it)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Way back a long time ago, my parents could not figure a way to curb my hyper activity. So they bought me a Radio Shack BFO for my 10th. birthday And told me to go out and do something constructive :laughing7:.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread