are local parks picked clean?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
If your park is from the 20's and it has not been completely re-done with fill dirt,there is silver.I hunt a lot of NYC parks,some of them,even though they date back to the early 20th Century have mostly filled and yield only a few silver coins,some have not been extensively filled and yield a lot of silver.I'm working a park now that since early Sept. have given up 82 silver coins to me and more to my hunting buddy.I hunt with an Explorer,which I feel is silver magnet.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been detecting for two years now, and have hunted several local parks here without much luck. On the other hand, i have dug lots of old coins this year and 50+ silvers. My advice is to avoid the parks. For me they are a waste of time.
My secret? Private yards. Hardly ever a dull moment!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian,

There are many little tricks to coax the silver out of a "worked out" park. I hunt the same parks over and over, they do not produce as good as they did 15 years ago. But they still produce. Get to the park early in the morning or when the sun is going down. Turn off the detector since what you are looking for is what the low level sunlight will show you. The park once had more bigger trees than it does now. Those trees were there before the famed pull tab invasion. What you are looking for are slight depressions where a tree once stood 40, 50, 60 years ago or longer. When they removed the tree, or it died and fell over. It was probably cut close to the ground and has rotted away. They may have filled the hole but did not put alot of effort into it. Years later, that would be now, you can still see the depression in the ground where the tree stood. In the evening sunlight, those spots show up. At high noon they are almost invisible. One of the hardest things to hide is a hole. Sounds silly, but true.

After finding these spots, tweak the detector for very little discrimination, if any. Go for all the depth you can get away with a still be stable. And if it has a chance of being a coin, dig! I have coaxed many Barber dimes out of these very places. A small gathering of Mercs, and a few Indians.

Sorry to ramble, sometimes you just need to splain things in detail and splain why.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
I have been detecting for two years now, and have hunted several local parks here without much luck. On the other hand, i have dug lots of old coins this year and 50+ silvers. My advice is to avoid the parks. For me they are a waste of time.
I agree I, I rarely hunt parks, I hunt private yards 90% of the time. And I have 105 silvers for the year

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Fistfulladirt said:

Even back in the 60's these were the hottest hunting spots. They are the "last frontier" for the hobbyist.

OP
OP
brian11

brian11

May 12, 2009
San Francisco Bay area
Detector(s) used
DFX
thanks for all of the feedback and ideas. This gets me motivated again . I've tried a few new things since posting this a few days ago...no silver yet, but now my targets are deeper and mostly older quarters and dimes...nothing pre 1965..also using the slower sweep speed and better coil control.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread