Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone is nice enough to take you to their site(s), do not return to the site without your host, or permission from your host. I am tired of taking a buddy with me to one of my favorite "honey holes" only to find that they have returned without me. I would never go to a site that someone previously took me to, unless they give me permission.

I just got an email from one of my buddies telling me what he found at "my site" last week. If he had asked me ahead of time, I would have given him the green light.

No more mister nice guy. I have decided I am no longer inviting others to detect with me.

From this point on, this bird flies solo.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
That's not on! I would never do that and I wouldn't expect anyone else to >:(

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you told your "buddy" as well as us.

I did this on a great Indian camp site I've found points on, lots of them (for me anyway).

Next time I went out, I was informed by the farmer that my "buddies" had come back - without me, and without asking permission. He kicked them off, and has since refused me access as well. This was maybe 20 years ago, and I just tried again this year.

Can't blame the farmer, but I sure can blame my "buddies", huh? :cussing:

S

stefen

There is a degree of trust that each of us has with a friend or prospective business associate, regardless of the application.

I'm not rubbing your nose in it, however you have just learned a harsh lesson in trustworthyness...

In the future, if you are introducing a friend to a favorite site, then you must set the ground rules in advance to prevent this happening again.

Early on in my business career I had numerous conversations with a friend regarding a merger...suddenly I began to get telephone calls from my clients asking why this guy was marketing them when I was already under contract...this action abruptly ended a 10 year relationship...

There is no experience better that one of lifes lessons...

Write this so-called friend off and move on.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I was burned many times in 30+ years. For a long time I hunted solo for just just those reasons. It's even worse when that "buddy" takes others there, then the others take others.

I do not even mention a site anymore to anyone. Someone I thought was trustworty just a few years ago burned me. It was a public place but when the guy was there 4 to 6 times a week for alot of the summer, and taking others there, it really ticked me off.

I have since found a hunting partner who is very trustworthy and we get along well. Even though we work together to find sites we do not go to a spot that the other ask permission on unless we are together. In fact there is a field that was plowed in the spring. First time since we started hunting it. A very productive spot. They were real late at taking the corn off it. My partner has not been available to go due to a recent personal situation. My mouth is watering to go and I drive by it often. Even though I got the permission I will not go there without him. That way we both have an equal shot at a good find. I went there by myself a couple times two years ago and made some nice finds. Actually felt like crap because I felt like I "cheated" him.

Don't write off a partner, just make sure you test drive them good before you commit.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just wrong on so many different levels. Its hard as heck to find good spots anymore and when someone is generous enough to reveal a "secret spot" you would think they would follow the high road and not steal the site from you. I can't imagine how I would react if I pulled up to my favorite place and saw my "buddy" and his friends out there without me. I am afraid that this is one hobby where its easier to find people like that than not. There's a reason so many municipalities are banning MD'ing. Its these exact same kind of people who refuse to fill their holes, leave their trash strewn about, sneak onto National Parks and Battlefield, etc. Unfortunately, when dealing with "riches" people will stoop to some very low levels.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I'm afraid that happens why to much and it's wrong. Like someone else has already said I dug solo for years because of it. I had 2 older guys I dug with back in the 70's and 80's and even though we knew it was ok to go to each others spots we would still let the other know anytime we intended too. Sorry you had to learn the hard way about.

Nickles

Greenie
Oct 29, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH Lone Star, DetectorPro pistol probe
I've had a bit of a different sort of deal on this subject. Just yesterday I went to the local city hall of a community I researched an abandoned farmhouse in to locate the property owner to contact for permission to detect and was not given the name of the owner, they said it was not to be given out at the owners request, I was satisfied with that but as I went to leave overheard them say that they should let this older gal (who is an employee there at the city hall) know about this place to tell her son about it as he detects too! I thought that was kinda rude as I spent the the weekend researching and someone else gets the spot from my research. Anyone else have this type of thing happen to them?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nickles said:
I've had a bit of a different sort of deal on this subject. Just yesterday I went to the local city hall of a community I researched an abandoned farmhouse in to locate the property owner to contact for permission to detect and was not given the name of the owner, they said it was not to be given out at the owners request, I was satisfied with that but as I went to leave overheard them say that they should let this older gal (who is an employee there at the city hall) know about this place to tell her son about it as he detects too! I thought that was kinda rude as I spent the the weekend researching and someone else gets the spot from my research. Anyone else have this type of thing happen to them?

Real Estate Property Records (also called property ownership records) is public information in the United States of America, which means anyone can access it. Real property records are generally filed with and kept on a county level; they originate from two major governmental sources: County Recorder's or Courthouse and Property (Tax) Assessor's offices.

The local city hall may have such records, but you need to go to your county clerk's office and fill out a form, and possibly even have to pay to receive the info.

Simply put, you may be barking up the wrong tree!

Nickles

Greenie
Oct 29, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH Lone Star, DetectorPro pistol probe
Thanks for your insight but this office is in a small town and is called the city county building and the county highway dept. is located there as well as the county Sherriff's office. I found out through research that the property owner is still living in a nursing home and won't even think of going there to ask permission. The property records indicate the property is a partnership/ownership most likely the children of the nursing home elder and none of which live locally. Anyway, I'll pursue other locations since this sounds like it might be more red tape then I want to get into at this time. I have located 3 former old school sites that existed in the 1800's that are nothing more than vacant wooded lots in the countryside now and see if I can obtain permission to hunt there.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nickles said:
this sounds like it might be more red tape then I want to get into at this time.

Put it on your long term list of sites to hit. I always prioritize my sites. I have some great ones that are an hour away, but i know are productive. They are on my long term list.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIGHT ON NEIL!!! I feel exactly the same way. I found out it is often best to hunt alone as it is less hassle & you get to find more stuff. Less logistics of dealing with others equals more time for yourself to find treasure.

I've been MD'ing solo for years now & having the time of my life. WHY? Because I trust no one anymore.

As Karl Von Mueller said..."The less others know about us, what we do and what we find...the better off we are."

Nuff said.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you all. It is best to keep your best hunting sites to yourself...I got burned once in the very same way. This guy seen me detecting one day and wanted to get into the hobby..Anyway we became "friends" and I got him a good detector, showed him the ropes, and brought him to many of my favourite/best sites. Later he found a good site and when I asked him where it was he refused to bring me to the site or tell me where it was...

To make matters worse, he really showed his true colors when he found a nursing graduation gold ring with the name of the person and the year of graduation inscribed on the band. I asked him if he was going to find the owner which would have been easy since we live in a relatively small city. His reply....."Finders Keepers".....If I had known that was his character....I would have never introduced him to the hobby.....From then on I decided to keep my hobby to myself and not reveal any locations to anyone...especially if you put the time and effort in finding a good site.... I prefer going solo...

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
After a "cooling off" period, I realize there are a few people I trust and enjoy detecting with. We have always honored this "code".
I actually enjoy detecting with these individuals. We also share ideas and theories on new sites and techniques.

This is what the hobby is all about. I forgot about this when I first posted this last week.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Several years ago, a "best buddy" & I belonged to the same deer hunting club. One Sunday afternoon I scouted up a monster whitetail buck on some club property & made the mistake of telling him about it. The following Friday nite, after work, I drove to the clubhouse to hunt the next day. And, you guessed it...The deer in question had been taken by my "buddy" that morning, & the head was in the club freezer! A 150+ class buck!

That's the closest I've ever come to killing a human being.

Since then, I don't share with anybody but my wife & kids...Period!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
About time someone wrote that rule.

I can count on one hand, (with no fingers extended), the number of people I trust to even mention certain locations. I have asked others if they knew of places where they would suggest I search, first letting them know full well that I detect and pan for gold alone. If they choose to point me in the right direction, I would certainly hope that they were not giving me the location of their private treasure trove / retirement fund.

Those I trust with the locations I go to, either have; 4 legs, or 2 wings. A dog. That's what a person needs and can count on more often than not. A big mean trustworthy dog. Or two big mean trustworthy loyal dogs, that hunt with a pack like mentality, capable of bringing down small game.
:dog: :dog: :snorting:

F.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
Been there done that. :-\

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,144227.0.html

Two heads--and searchcoils--are better than one, though. Hold fast to those that are trustworthy. They are the folks you'll Want to make the great finds with.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

I remember reading that post way back when. I found a nice reply in that topic that I will reprint here. It sets some ground rules. The best advice is, when in doubt discuss it with your buddy. Here are the rules...

La Beep said:
Here is a written set of rules for those who don't know what is being discussed here. They may also be usefull for setting ground rules for clubs / groups

Common Sense Rules (or not so common)​

Individual site: A site researched and permission gained by a single person with the intention to hunt along. This type of site may be converted to an invited or group site.

Invited site: A site researched and permission gained by a single person and that person decides to INVITE a fellow detectorist to hunt for a one time hunt. This may be done many times but still is a one time deal.
Note: Invited guest NEVER hunt the site without being invited and with host!

Group site: A site researched and permission gained by a group and should be hunted as a group until the site is declared a Free site. A Group site may also be an Invited site so a fellow detectorist can hunt for a one time hunt with the group..
Note: Invited guest NEVER hunt the site without being invited and with group!

Free site: A site researched and permission gained by a single person or group and that person or group decides to OPEN the site to fellow detectorists to hunt without the host.
Note: The host should be told what was found on the site if for no other reason then saying thanks.

Public site: Is a site such as a public park and is available to anybody to hunt. This type of site maybe hunted by people outside the group because it is opened to the public.

Paid hunt site: One time paid hunts by a club or host and reverts back to one of the other types of site listed above after the hunt is over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread