Digging Holes

rodbuster

Dec 1, 2009
Grant Park Il
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 950/ 6" excelerator- MXT PRO 6x10 & 12"- Vaquero\ stock and 6" coil ''
I just had to complain about this, If there is one thing that bothers me it's seeing a person out detecting, retrieving there targets using a relic shovel and digging a hole the size of a hubcap. Case in point,Nov. 22 this year I was at Washington park, Chicago Il. I was detecting with two other club members when three other guys came out to detect, great. We said hello and went about are business. I watched these guys dig holes with there relic shovels that you could lose a small child in just to find a coin that was in the plug. The plug was replaced, but it sure looked nasty. If you are in the woods looking for relics, thats a differant story, but in a park. I feel it's everyones job that detects to be as responsible as you can in the field, to leave it better than you found it. Once a place is put off limits, it's really hard to change peoples minds. I have been detecting for over 30 years and would be very angry to see a place off limits because of someones lack of responsibilty. I dig coins at 8"+ and when I'm done it doen't look like a bomb crater. Tomorrow I am going to hunt in the woods and I will use the same care retrieving my finds as I do in a park. Thanks :thumbsup:

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the size of the shovel doesnt matter i for one use a small shovel to dig hubcap size holes as i find it easyer to replace the pulg and its less likely to crumble for me it might be the dirt around here buy i cannot use a trowel efficiantly for some reason but it doesnt look bad when i get done

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I for one don't have a problem going over and telling them to be neater! I have gone over and made it very clear that I was fixing there hole's. They get the idea!We have so few area's to hunt any more that it's up to all of us to stand up and say something!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread