Make a Living off Metal Detecting???

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
You can make a living off of MDing but you have to use your head live light. Say you post your life as a metal detecting pro on the www that could be a source alone and you can get paid from the advertising. Also you could downsize into a boat or motorhome you live in that. You would have to visit archives to locate the best locations to detect. Carry with you gold prospecting devices etc. Maybe you could visit schools in the areas you visit share with them you experiences teach about history with your tangible historical tid bits (some school boards pay for such shows),seek sponsors to cover some of your expenses or provide you with equipment. There are motor homes you can buy for under 10k that are 30 plus ft long or you could locate one of those Toyota motorhomes and get better mpg. If you did the larger mh you could make your trips short and md an area very well prior to moving on.

No telling what your situation is but life as a drifter is not too bad as long as you have a place to sleep. But is you go for that you might as well become an otr trucker and get paid just for drifting. Side effects of otr trucking is weight gain,insanity,among other things.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
cdltpx said:
No telling what your situation is but life as a drifter is not too bad as long as you have a place to sleep. But is you go for that you might as well become an otr trucker and get paid just for drifting. Side effects of otr trucking is weight gain,insanity,among other things.

LOL!! Yes, I'm a OTR trucker and prior to trucking I was homeless, living in a van in Los Angeles for about a year. Then driving otr for 6 years before I got my home. I just have a small, modest cheap home. My expenses are not too much each month. At this time, otr trucking is paying a tiny bit over min wage! And I get home only 4 days a month! I do have other work that I can do at home instead of trucking. Freight is always slow Jan-April every year mainly due to companies holding their freight for tax reasons. We sit too much, not making any money during this time. I'd rather be md'ing and working my ebay store (myyangostore). I do have some metal detecting stuff on my ebay. Plus have much more stuff at home to sell, and other means of income besides ebay, etc..

Anyway, thank you very much for your replies. Keep em coming. This is very fun and interesting, and educational (I'm taking notes! lol).

ttyl, skt

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Well Dave I can see how it works in the short term but not the long term.
With the number of folks retiring and jumping into the hobby backed with a pension your hunting ground will get thin.
I do well every year but I have a job and a pension starting in 2010 and do plan on hunting much more in the future.

If one only considers there needs for today and believes every day will be the same it's easy. That's why there are so many older people who either couldn't or wouldn't save for a future pension that now must work even with failing health.

Choosing to use your best most productive years living frugally may not work out in the end. In my mind that's very high risk and not really making a living. As people get older there needs change, at 36 I can see why your view would be what it is.

Most older people would like nothing more than to retire and do what they want instead of what someone else wants them to do. Being older and near retirement months away in fact, I have trouble with the idea that there is a free ride or easy ride.
Most people only start to consider issues of pension at about age 45, as I said there is no free ride even in Canada. :thumbsup:

I see what you mean but it doesn't have to be this way for everyone. At 26 years old I didn't know nearly as much as I know now. In those 10 years, I have doubled my buyers and increased my knowledge of what to buy and sell. The way I am going, I will know a lot more by 46. I have no worries about retirement. I have been banking valuable finds every year for the day when I'm supposed to "retire" plus I think it is a joke that anyone who has investments or nest eggs in this country, get taxed through the teeth when they try and cash it. Plus they could lose money based on the unstable economy. Hey, I watched my dad work 30 years at a job that made him miserable and he almost keeled over from stress just before retirement. Was 30 years of misery worth a measly pension? Heck, you could get more for refugee status in this country! I have never found a job that I could picture myself sticking with for 30 years. I'm my own boss now and I love it!
The key to survival is knowledge. That's how you can stay alive in the bush is if you have the know how. The same goes for making money in the urban jungle. The more I know, the more comfortable I will be in life. By the time I am in the retirement age, I will know a lot more about what it takes to survive. Also there is a chance that everything people work for, may come crashing down with this unstable future. I hope not but who knows what the future may bring. I have no problems with what anyone decides to do to earn a living, (within the law) I just want to let people know that we have survived by our own hands for thousands of years, and it can certainly be done now. Do what you want to do in life and don't sell yourself short.
I'm not worried about my sites running thin. Look at the size of this country! I couldn't even cover Manitoba in my lifetime! There's lots of treasure to be found.
Follow your dreams.
Dave.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
These are quotes of MR.muddy handz (Attitude is the key here. I believe that the Universe will take care of me.Of course living simply and not being a consumer target helps with this kind of lifestyle.I eat good and I am happy with what I got.Also there is a chance that everything people work for, may come crashing down with this unstable future.)

You are so correct in what you say I personally have not bought Christmas presents for anyone for almost all my life. My family has not disowned me I will buy a gift for someone but I don't wait for a date the pagans set up to give I buy it they get it asap. I recently made adjustments and have almost gone to your lifestyle.

Except I drive a school bus this will provide about 17k a year with great insurance. Not the best pay but consider what I am doing I have the students on the bus about 2 hours a day that is it about 45 min in the am and 30 min in the pm. For the whole of the day I spend about 2.5 hours in the job duties. Off all summer, each day I'm off 08;30-2pm all that time is mine. Weekends off 2 weeks off Christmas new year a week off mardi gras a week off thanks giving. I have a job but barely. Driving a bus I could take on a personal business we have drivers that hang wall paper, others clean houses , another plans houses, one lady sells homes, Lawn business.me I just go home veg out chill with the TV I do what I want so far I have gone mding a few times mostly have washed the cars and cut the grass killed the rats of home. I have the option to do field trips but so far chose not to.

What you said about the universe sustaining you is correct remember what was said in the bible it was said why worry it will not ass one cubit to your lift he feeds the birds doesn't he. We don't recommend going on welfare that is placing yourself in want and taking from others that may need. Some are young and really need welfare like those that can't find work or others that have disabilities. I am a fan of the adage "life is what you make it".

Give you and example or squandered opportunities I have a student that use to always watch to see where my eyes were he was a bad boy that kept an eye where the boss was looking. I set him aside and let him know what he was doing and instructed him of all he was missing. On a bus you have an incredible opportunity to see far and wide only if you use your chance to look out the window to see the geese,horses,dogs,gardens,new cars nice ponds, I can go on and on but you look inside the bus you will tire and get restless. He was a pill for a day or so more and slowly realized I was right he was missing out on another world and could enjoy it by turning his head in the other direction. We have kids that take a book with them on every trip I personally go to the library each week and take home 4 magazines a few movies and sometimes a book I try to have a list of things I grew curious of and seek books that can explain better these things that I missed.

Like a lady that Zig Ziegler had to coach,,, She was complaining about her job etc Zig pointed out why she was drawn to the job in the first place and her attitude changed reason is she grew complaisant with the day to day humdrum life she sought the negatives and held on to them rather than keeping her eyes on the prize and the prize was too many to list.

We are incredibly wealthy most of us can get from place to place without having to walk there we can drive take a bus call a taxi, When we want food we can just put down $2.15 at a local burger king and they hand us a whopper Jr and a double cheese burger combine the two and you have a quad whopper Jr with cheese.But most go in and just say number one they will not take the time to compare what is on the menu. You might say so what but I say to you ever calculate what is ten thousand dollars well if you want to save ten thousand dollars in 5 years all you have to do is save $5.49 that's it. Big deal you might say well go to Craig's list and look at what you can buy for $10k motor cycle motorhome car truck some places you can buy a home . What is our largest expenses honestly ever sit and consider what those little tidbits of Cash can do.

We don't have to mine the salt it is handed to us freely, we don't have to cut a trail to where we go. We have a good birthrate vaccinations people looking out for our safety by laws and policing the population preventing thugs from robbing us of our things. Taxes provides quality roads so we can go to a tax based library sit in ac use the Internet computer we can even watch movies in that library by popping in a DVD and just soak up all the free stuff. Sure it isn't free but why can you sit there and enjoy it because you chose to do so. Others have lost their focus and are targets of advertising and go buy the greatest TV of the month they drive 2 hours a day just to get to work Hell I only work 4 a day that includes the drive to work. Do I have the TV of the month no but guess what I get to enjoy that which I have chosen to we all choose our experience for the most part some are handicapped but they too know where to find happiness from time to time. All too often we allow others to shape what we are and it is really our choice. My favorite coaches are ZIG ZIEGLER, ANTHONY ROBBINS great people to consider if you are pondering what to do ultimately they say its your thing.

Great books to read are the no asshole rule , the millionaire next door metal detecting in urban environments . Enough said

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Great Answers. I am 46 years old, homeowner/landowner and I prefer to keep my living expenses low and reasonable. I don't need all the fancy, expensive tv's, entertainment, cars, etc.. I was listening to a podcast from Peter Schiff about how we are taxed so much even when we try to invest, save, etc.. When we want to pull our money out, we pay fees, tax, etc..

I want my money to grow. And I feel the best way for it to grow is buy low (or find great stuff w/md), and sell high. Not that I would put my cash in my mattress, but would prefer not to get taxed and fees too much. I think this may be best way to make my money grow. Stock market is ok, but...as we all know from experience, it can crash and we lose all.

My Grandparents were from Oklahoma during the 1940's they came west to seek their fortune in California. My dad was 12 years old. Remember the book by John Steinbeck "The Grapes of Wrath"? That's my grandparents. Grandpa was a sharecropper. Things got so bad, they had to leave. Dad became a Aerospace Engineer in So Cal and I grew up a mile from the beach (lots of fun!).

But my point is, we have to make our lives the best we can, and learn from the past and from others. I really enjoy metal detecting and know that as I find some great goodies, that will keep me excited about it. I think that in Florida at least, we have such an influx of tourists year-round that they will always lose stuff. And our locals too. The bling type jewelry some of them wear!

I am in contact with some nice folks here in Florida that have given me a few more hunting spots, and we may go hunting together if they would like. I express my appreciation for the information and warm welcomes. I also like to travel, so trips up north in Civil War territory is on my list. This is a fun hobby and can make some extra cash. I plan to hit this hobby very hard, as well as my Ebay and other business'.

It's up to me to take charge of my financial opportunities and goals. This job dictates how much I can make each month. When I work for myself, I'm the one that has control over how much I make each month. I prefer the latter option.

ttyl, skt

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Muddyhandz said:
I see what you mean but it doesn't have to be this way for everyone. At 26 years old I didn't know nearly as much as I know now. In those 10 years, I have doubled my buyers and increased my knowledge of what to buy and sell. The way I am going, I will know a lot more by 46. I have no worries about retirement. I have been banking valuable finds every year for the day when I'm supposed to "retire" plus I think it is a joke that anyone who has investments or nest eggs in this country, get taxed through the teeth when they try and cash it. Plus they could lose money based on the unstable economy. Hey, I watched my dad work 30 years at a job that made him miserable and he almost keeled over from stress just before retirement. Was 30 years of misery worth a measly pension? Heck, you could get more for refugee status in this country! I have never found a job that I could picture myself sticking with for 30 years. I'm my own boss now and I love it!
The key to survival is knowledge. That's how you can stay alive in the bush is if you have the know how. The same goes for making money in the urban jungle. The more I know, the more comfortable I will be in life. By the time I am in the retirement age, I will know a lot more about what it takes to survive. Also there is a chance that everything people work for, may come crashing down with this unstable future. I hope not but who knows what the future may bring. I have no problems with what anyone decides to do to earn a living, (within the law) I just want to let people know that we have survived by our own hands for thousands of years, and it can certainly be done now. Do what you want to do in life and don't sell yourself short.
I'm not worried about my sites running thin. Look at the size of this country! I couldn't even cover Manitoba in my lifetime! There's lots of treasure to be found.
Follow your dreams.
Dave.

Your view is quite reasoned Dave and thoughtful in my view, yes there are many uncertainties in the game of life. Knowledge is power. The economy at the end of the day is consumer driven. I can relate to what you say about your dad's experience having worked for the same company for the last 30 years plus. Yes there are times we consider if we made the right choice will it the pension be there at the end of the day. Many what ifs maybe it will be to late to make a change in direction, many things beyond our control.
Dan :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your probably right these days, lastleg. I support my detectin store over in Golden as much as I can. I seen some real page turners here on treasure net that I don't know if I would pay money for, but they could be turned into some fine works of fiction. (heehee). 'Grapes of Wrath'. We were taught to hate that book in Oklahoma and never read it. When I got older I read it, found a couple of technical mistakes, but on the whole I identified with and was proud of the Joads.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
I don't know if my Grandparents had it as hard as the Joads, but they did manage to survive allright, buy a nice house, raise their 4 kids, etc.. They settled in Modesto, Calif. They were pretty tough and hard working. That work hard ethic is handed down in our family. It's one of our higher standards.

I just finished watching the movie "Into The Blue" with (cute) Paul Walker & Jessica Alba on youtube (took 11 uploads to get it all). This is one of my all time favorite movies. I just *had* to get my !fix!. lol. I love the Bahamas (been there), and the cute guys!! :headbang:

I am also going to make some videos of my MD'ing excursions this month & post them on my youtube (soozspenser). I do hope I'll have something interesting to share with everyone.

skt

dazoff said:
Muddyhandz said:
Follow your dreams.
Dave.

Your view is quite reasoned Dave and thoughtful in my view, yes there are many uncertainties in the game of life. Knowledge is power. The economy at the end of the day is consumer driven. I can relate to what you say about your dad's experience having worked for the same company for the last 30 years plus. Yes there are times we consider if we made the right choice will it the pension be there at the end of the day. Many what ifs maybe it will be to late to make a change in direction, many things beyond our control.
Dan :thumbsup:

Dan, I'm glad you made it through the working world and you are about to retire. Looking at your avatar, it appears that you look young and healthy and will have many years to do what you want in your retirement years. :icon_thumright:
When I was in my early 20's, I took the advice from older people that I should travel and enjoy life while I was young. My wife and I at that time went to Vancouver Island and lived at Sombrio beach for the last year it was a community. We camped there for a month until a local revealed a vacant hidden cabin made out of driftwood and equipped with a hippie killer (A small thin stove) that we were able to occupy. It was a dream come true. We ate mussels and caught cod in a small rowboat. Each day I gathered wood and hauled up water from a beautiful waterfall. Once in awhile we would drive to Sooke for supplies. That community was originally started by Vietnam draft dodgers and was mainly young people when we were there. The B.C. government were wanting to get rid of these squatters for years and finally found a way. They made Sombrio into a provincial park and put eviction notices on our driftwood cabins. I am proud to say that we lived there for the last year that it existed and my wife and I both agree that that was the best time of our lives. We did the same thing a few years later on the Queen Charlotte Islands. That place was amazing! Another time we lived at Uclulet and were Tofino beach bums. One winter storm and I remember the whole beach at Wickininish was carved out. I found $320 in change in two days! The coins were like Swiss cheese and I went to a government casino and plugged in all my damaged change and then cashed out. I took the newly acquired paper bills and laughed that the government got all those crappy coins. :laughing9:
We were blessed with many wonderful experiences and it didn't take that much money at all.
I think we are due for another B.C. trip. :icon_thumright:
Maybe we will see you out there!
Happy retirement! :icon_sunny:
Dave.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
There is a book at the library that teaches you how to homestead on a piece of land. It suggest that you buy a broke down fully selfcontained motor home that had working generator water storage etc 2k investment. The writer dug his own sewerage treatment system, had water collection, even used solar panels for power can't tell you what the book was but it was an interesting way to solve a simple problem.
I would want to get a airstream camper trailer and use it since they are durable. Once you repair the airstream the shell will last you a lifetime.
Or try the eco dome Domes have so many reasons to build them look at MDI domes and you will agree. Some places they build eco domes then insulate with materials found locally.
You don't have to spend more than $10k and you would be able to be as comfortable and care free as you would like.
Building a home out of driftwood is really on the edge but it worked and after all we are basically animals with skills.
The fast strong home is a shipping container they can be had for free in some cases I would love to get one and place it on a barge and have a solid house boat.

The fist writer on this thread already has housing taken care of that is great but if you want to move elsewhere it is possible to do for little money.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Dave the Island even today has a different attitude than the lower mainland.
There are still places over there and on the smaller Islands that are very attractive.

Photo in the avatar was taken two years ago, I've always looked ten years younger but the body knows better. LOL
Other than a heart attack at age 50 fully recovered if there is such a thing, I'm looking forward to an F350 Ford Dually with a Bigfoot camper and one trailer for the bike & ATV . Between water hunting and dirt fishing with numerous detectors some that I have wanted to get to know better we may meet at some point. Dan :thumbsup:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I would have bought my machine to get rich I would have given up on metal detecting years ago. This is a hobby and yes you are going to find items that will make you some money once in a while. I don't think you are going to find enough to live on and pay your bills with every month. I have found a lot of items worth money but the most rewarding for me is seeing someones face when I find a ring and return it to them. I have never accepted money and never will for doing this. Many things are priceless like taking someone out and letting them find something nice for the first time, teaching kids how to hunt, time with friends, etc. Look at this as a hobby and it will pay you many times over.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
When I return something and someone offers a reward I take it and tell them thank you then I get another great feeling when I take that money and give it to someone that needs it. Favorite charity St.Judes.
Once I saved a woman's child's life by stopping the bus and preventing the child from bleeding out she later found me and wanted to give me lots of money I told her if she insisted that she give I said be honest and contact St.Jude and give it to them they really save children all the time and really need the money to save many more they will use it better than I can. Just an idea next time they offer you money you can have them donate to your charity and this way you are not taking the money and even more good is being done.
Don't hide the talent invest it and your master will be happy he received interest.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cdltpx said:
When I return something and someone offers a reward I take it and tell them thank you then I get another great feeling when I take that money and give it to someone that needs it. Favorite charity St.Judes.
Once I saved a woman's child's life by stopping the bus and preventing the child from bleeding out she later found me and wanted to give me lots of money I told her if she insisted that she give I said be honest and contact St.Jude and give it to them they really save children all the time and really need the money to save many more they will use it better than I can. Just an idea next time they offer you money you can have them donate to your charity and this way you are not taking the money and even more good is being done.
Don't hide the talent invest it and your master will be happy he received interest.

another great tip.

Jun 30, 2009
I do the detecting tour thing, I do ok financially with it, but the best thing is having people visit and go detecting. I'm lucky that my guests are wonderful people by and large, and the hobby here supports it to some degree. My wife is a working professional, and she helps with the tours a bit. I'm pretty sure if you lived near a populated beach you could at least break even with finds....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread