Make a Living off Metal Detecting???

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
:) Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has been able to make a living off of their metal detecting finds? I just read a blog where a Australian guy did a 30 day challenge to see if he could survive. Pay his rent, food, expenses, etc.. He is also a scuba diver and he also does recovery for people. The recovery jobs helped him alot in his bottom line.

I think the blog url is:
http://www.metaldetectingchallenge.blogspot.com

I am thinking if people find enough rings of value, coins of good value (besides the clad coins), etc.. and cash them in (in a timely manner), this includes scrap metal, pull tabs (I enjoyed the threads on these), etc..

What do you think?

Thank you, Susan and my dogs Kelly & Tinky. My dogs really want to know!! lol. They are tired of living in a small semi truck doing the freight relocation tour!! (and so am I) lol..

And, the Australian guy (Brad) had money coming in from his main occupation. I do alot on Ebay too. There are other ways to make money. Treasure hunt by day, ebay by night, etc..

Thanks again, skt

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's mainly just a hobby... and one of which you'll likely never really "get rich" off of. I doubt you'll be able to "live" off of finds, though if you got to finding lots of jewelry that was worth something, you could at least pull some extra income from it. Some Civil War relics can also fetch a pretty penny sometimes... but again, probably not enough to live off of.
I wouldn't quit your day job...

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that would make a little of a difference... but also keep in mind, they're sitting on a huge gold mine. There's gold everywhere, so a person would probably make more hunting for gold than they would for coins. The only way you could ever hope to quit your job is if you somehow hit it big... which is what we all dream of, and keeps most of us going. Even so, with the way that most Americans live (more than comfortably), even if someone did hit it big, they'd probably burn through it all anyway within a short period of time. :-\

Bran <><

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
There was a fella back in So. CA that really made a living from MD'ing . He worked the shallow water as well as selected beaches EVERY MORNING . He went to peoples houses and looked for a lost piece of jewelry in the grass when it came off (maybe while throwing a ball for the dog) . He took it as a job and did it every day , all day . He paid his bills and had money to socialize . Then reality set in . He couldn't finance another car . He couldn't rent another apartment . He could not prove income to do any of the normal things the rest of can do . Soooo he got a job . He was forced to work the beaches real early and try to find lost stuff for people when he could find time . It's great when you're retired but it's a grind in the every day world .
If you want to live in a camper and work the streams and such with an MD you could probably survive somewhat but if you want to live in civilization it's a tough row to hoe .

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Over here in Canada, you would at least find yourself enough to get a coffe and some donuts.the loonies and toonies add up quickly. ;D

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Yes, I posted this question in another place too. I agree that many Americans do not manage what money they have very well. Spending and getting into so much debt. Finding a huge lot would be great. That ever elusive stash. This country has been combed over ever since the first man walked this ground! People will always lose stuff, and we are there to find it. I like what one man said to get a good education and make your fortune in your chosen occupation. I like business, for example.

Thanks for all your good replies, and I like hearing stories about people living from their finds. It's a hard way to make a easy living!! lol..

ttyl, susan, kelly, tinky

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that is retired and he gose west hunting for gold and south hitting the beaches every year. I do beleive he dose pretty good. This year when he was out west he found 1 nugget he sold for $1400 and that is not counting the other nuggets that he found. So to make a living you would need some other income coming in to help surport you. But it will help out some....Matt

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Lots of successful nuggetshooters will tell you it sometimes takes one whole
year to find nugget #1. Must not be as easy as it sounds.
Anyone considering going for broke needs to count up every dollar they spent
last year and narrow down what can be eliminated such as rent, bills, taxes etc
and arrive at a figure you absolutely require to survive. Don't forget car inspec-tion, registration, insurance and any meds you must have, burgers and drinks,
equipment for all situations.
Narrow that figure down to what it would take each and every week. If you
are sure you can make twice that amount a week and you are young and not
supporting anyone else, go for it.
If you don't get ambushed or kidnapped or put in jail it will be worth it for the
education you will receive. Then you can always write a book or get a real job.

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
I thought I already posted here? ???

Anyway, the answer is no. At least for all but a very select few.

Most of the full-time THers are already rich. It takes a ton of money to find a ton of money.

There are those super rare times when some guy happens upon a mega big treasure in some field in the U.K. but how often does that happen?

But even then think about what it costs to live. The best material treasure is a good day job.

OP
OP
FloridaTreasureFinder

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Yes, I like the replies here. I like where one person said can write a book about the experience, or get a real job...lol. I agree about having other income while md'ing full time. I imagine some folks living on social security or other retirement income, pension, etc..

Finding a big jackpot is like hitting the lottery!! lol. Very rare. Thank you Bran for that story link. Very cool. Exciting.

Yeah, like the guy in Australia that went through his budget and found that he may of been spending too much money on stuff. It surprised him and made him think about his spending.

Have you guys heard of something called "Boondocking"? I believe it is homeless people, or just people doing the full time rv thing, driving around the country and just parking their rigs. Living in them. I've seen some old campers and they look about ready to fall apart any second. See them at walmarts and some truck stops. They can shower at truck stops. Costs about $10 to take a shower at a truck stop. We drivers get free showers when we fuel.

I would imagine that some boondockers do some serious Metal Detecting. They certainly have their living expenses down to the barest min. Must make enough to keep their vehicles drive-able anyway.

Thanks again for good replies. It is interesting to hear your thoughts and opinions.
skt (susan,kelly,tinky)

Pretty one sided conversation here. What if I say I do make a living? Actually I said it years ago on this forum. Everyone seems to have made up their minds that you can't make a living.
My last "real" job was 9 years ago. I was sick of working at B.S. jobs and went on my own. My needs are simple and I don't have any kids. I sell a lot of my modern finds (1880 and newer) and keep the historical stuff for my museum. I buy and sell gold. I also buy and sell antiques, collectables and old books. I have sought out the top collectors for many things that I would normally dig. This process has taken years to find the best buyers of certain items. My lifestyle has inspired a few to go out on their own as well. My wife quit her job 4 years ago and now has a jewelry business. She is making it work and is a very talented artist who only needed to believe in herself. That's the problem here. No one really believes in themselves. North America is full of sheep. We have lost the ability to take care of ourselves. Attitude is the key here. I believe that the Universe will take care of me. If I consume my day with worry or fear about finances, I will fail. The first year I went out on my own, I found the words I needed to hear engraved on a gold ring......Believe and Achieve. That ring (and me) made the paper. The story is on this forum going back 7 years or so. Those words have been my motto ever since I found that ring. This year, I started detecting in April and went straight to December. Like I have been doing for years. I'm 36 years old and have no retirement or financial help period. If we had a kid, I would certainly work harder but I would NOT work for someone else. It is satisfying to be able to pay my bills from doing what I love. I am versatile. I could go relic hunting one day and hit the beach the next day. Even though I love history, I could walk into a grassy area and pluck $50 in change and find a gold ring to top off my day's wages. I have had many days were I have found more than $50 in change. That's why it bothers me to see someone dig a plug for a clad coin. I can walk in and probe up a coin faster than lightning! It's unbalanced in the way that I may have a $200 day and then have a stretch of $20 days. It all balances itself out in the end when it is time to pay bills. Winter is the selling period for me. I always make sure to have enough to finance my detecting season for next April after winter ends. We live in a nice neighborhood. The rent is cheap thanks to us moving here before the boom. In fact, our rent is cheaper than the interest that we would be paying the bank on a mortgage for an average home! I drive a Suzuki Swift which can't be beat for gas mileage! My wife has a Ford but that's her problem! I eat good and I am happy with what I got. I have lots of time on my hands and rarely feel stress. I could trade all of that to work a regular job and maybe make more money but I would not be happy. Life is too short to be caught up in society's games. Nothing beats listening to the birds sing while watching the sun set with detector in hand! Nothing!
I wish everyone could fulfill their dreams. They can if they believe in themselves. Of course living simply and not being a consumer target helps with this kind of lifestyle. I would never make enough money to qualify for yuppie status!
BTW, we have zero debt!
H.H.
Dave.
P.S. I hope this thread doesn't die like the last time I posted a similar story to the exact same topic! (This topic has been done before)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Dave... thanks for that refreshing view!! I can't say I wouldn't give everything I have to live simply like that... however, if I get married, I doubt she'll be able to share my same mindset. But as the economy collapses and puts us all under more pressure, I think people will be forced to forsake their possessions and just cling to the things that truly matter... and the people they love.

Bran <><

godisnum1 said:
Wow Dave... thanks for that refreshing view!! I can't say I wouldn't give everything I have to live simply like that... however, if I get married, I doubt she'll be able to share my same mindset. But as the economy collapses and puts us all under more pressure, I think people will be forced to forsake their possessions and just cling to the things that truly matter... and the people they love.

Bran <><

Thanks Bran. Things might not change when you get married. Your future wife can't get upset if you encourage her to follow her passions. My wife is not into detecting but we share in the fact that we are both doing what we love. I agree that the more things change in the state of the world, the more we can go back to what truly matters in life. Those things money can't buy!
To quote the title of an old Sly and the Family Stone song......We can make it if we try. :)
Dave.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Thanks Bran. Things might not change when you get married. Your future wife can't get upset if you encourage her to follow her passions. My wife is not into detecting but we share in the fact that we are both doing what we love. I agree that the more things change in the state of the world, the more we can go back to what truly matters in life. Those things money can't buy!
To quote the title of an old Sly and the Family Stone song......We can make it if we try. :)
Dave.

Right on man... :thumbsup:

Bran <><

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
MuddyHanz:

If we American sheep encouraged our wives to follow their passions we might
well find ourselves out on the street.

lastleg

lastleg said:
MuddyHanz:

If we American sheep encouraged our wives to follow their passions we might
well find ourselves out on the street.

lastleg

LOL! (although I'm not 100% sure that was a joke)
I did say North American sheep.
I am inclined to think if you encourage women to follow their passions, (hobbies, talents, etc.) then they won't get mad if we go detecting so much. Makes sense (In theory) and seems to work in my case. I have nothing to fear about her running off or anything. Heck, It's nice to have the house to myself once in awhile!
Dave.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a livin off of metal detectin by selling metal detectors and related items. And writin about metal detectin. Only ransom notes, if properly done, pay more.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
RGINN:

Maybe so in yesteryear but doubt a guy could live off selling detectors these
days. I know someone who sells most of the major brands and he can't live
off the spread between cost and price and he adveritizes in a leading mag. As
far as treasure writing you have to secure good contacts in the business and
come up with fresh material regularly with interesting photos. Still would need
some steady income.
I remember some the monthly writers of the top two who struggled to tell
the identical story wrapped up in a new package each deadline. You can't get
by doing that today, you have to come up with a bang-up page turner to sell
it. I know I couldn't make it pay, could you? The web has ruined print info.
Re the other thing, forgetaboutit.

lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread