Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an idea that I wanted to run by you TN members. I'm not sure if this has ever been presented before or not, but I think it would be a great idea and would love to see it added to the Treasurenet site.

As adults, seasoned or not, we all know how difficult it is to make it up top with a banner find. Some get lucky right away, some may take years, and some have never made it yet even with a find that many consider to be a great.
Now, what are the chances of a young person (kid) ever making it up on the banner?
Let's face it, as adults we get out to detect a lot more, and stand a lot better chance than a kid.

IDEA :sign13:-
How about adding a second banner just for kids say 15 and under?

Adults getting discouraged by not making banner is bad enough, but what our young up & coming detectorists?
Personally, I would love to see more kids take an interest in detecting rather than sitting in front of a TV or computer playing video games and getting no exercise.
If we can give them an activity like detecting that not only promotes fun, learning (history of the relic dug), exercise, and a bit of rivalry, I'm all for it.
Little Timmy or Peggy Sue may not fit in or like sports in school, they may not be as big and strong as the other kids, but here on TN they can compete and be a champ with their finds.
I think it is a win-win situation for our hobby, the TN website, parents, and vendors that sell detectors.
Any of you that have taken a kid detecting know the excitement they get when digging up even a memorial penny. :wink:

As an example, some of you may remember this video I posted some time ago:

My nephew was amazed at seeing all the relics I've dug before. His parents bought him a detector of his own, and now he is hooked. Every time they come visit he wants to go "find a CW bullet". ;D

As far as the banner for kids, I'm thinking maybe a silver coin, token, piece of jewelry, old button, etc. would be worthy. :dontknow:

Well, that's my pitch. What do you think?
Most of all, what do the MODs think?

Thanks,
MM

S

seger98

Ya know Doug, it's such a great idea I can't believe I didn't think of it first :tongue3:

Really, kidding aside....... It would be something to see. the posts I read that a kid made while going out with dad or someone else & seeing the smiles on their faces & how proud they are with their finds would only inhance it more for them to make a banner find!

Good idea!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Ya know Doug, it's such a great idea I can't believe I didn't think of it first :tongue3:

Really, kidding aside....... It would be something to see. the posts I read that a kid made while going out with dad or someone else & seeing the smiles on their faces & how proud they are with their finds would only inhance it more for them to make a banner find!

Good idea!

Thanks buddy. I knew you were working on this idea though. ;D :wink:
Have a happy holiday,
Doug

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I whole heartilty agree. I think it would be an excellent way to promote the hobby.
It would also gives kids a positive way to spend free time

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K*E*L*L*Y said:
great idea!!!!

Thanks Kelly.
Great new "Mug Shot" by the way. :wink: ;D
Happy holidays,
-Doug-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a "Banner" idea MM!!! Hopefully, adults will not just give kids something to post like a guy killing a big buck during juvenille deer season and letting the kid check it in. The way relics are disappearing due to building and other factors, these kids better start making finds or there will be little left for them to find in the very near future. HH.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey... good idea, Doug and.... way to go with your nephew. Great little video.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent idea there Doug....We're all just big kid's anyway but lets give the yougin's there own little magic spot. :headbang:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
That's a "Banner" idea MM!!! Hopefully, adults will not just give kids something to post like a guy killing a big buck during juvenille deer season and letting the kid check it in. The way relics are disappearing due to building and other factors, these kids better start making finds or there will be little left for them to find in the very near future. HH.

Thanks VOL,
I always wondered if the kids I see standing next to a big buck actually shot it. :dontknow:
I agree with you on there being less and less places to detect. One good thing is, there are always tot lots and parks to detect. Even those locations are enough to pull up some great finds. Remember the platinum ring I found in the park about two months ago? :wink:
I wish I had gotten into detecting a lot earlier myself, and in turn been out detecting with my kids. They are in college now and too busy for and old detecting dude like me. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-Doug-

rwsnc said:
Hey... good idea, Doug and.... way to go with your nephew. Great little video.

Thanks Bob. :icon_thumleft:
I know you've taken a kid (Bill) out detecting many times and shown him about detecting. ;D :laughing9:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
I like the idea.

Thanks, let's hope it passes. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

civilman1 said:
Excellent idea there Doug....We're all just big kid's anyway but lets give the yougin's there own little magic spot. :headbang:

Thanks Joe. I know my wife calls me a big kid quite often. :laughing9:
I would love to see the proud kids with their finds posted. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

4-H said:
Doug. I have to say that's brilliant!
You have a good soul my friend.
This is why you have been blessed with so many friends....And finds! ;D

Thanks Mike.
My Dad got me hooked on fishing (no pun intended), and I did the same with my son. It's our bond now between father & son, and we still take yearly fishing trips to Indiana or Wisconsin. The only problem is, he usually kicks my tail fishing now. :laughing9:
I think nothing but good could come out of this idea if TN is willing to go for it. At least let's give it a try. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you've taken a kid (Bill) out detecting many times and shown him about detecting. ;D :laughing9:
-Doug-

[/quote]

Ya know i was never interested in history until i Dug my first pre-civil war plate.
Great idea for kids to start learning about history and how dispose of their trash properly :thumbsup:

Happy Holidays and hunting all.
Bill

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B|lker said:
-Doug-

Ya know i was never interested in history until i Dug my first pre-civil war plate.
Great idea for kids to start learning about history and how dispose of their trash properly :thumbsup:

Happy Holidays and hunting all.
Bill
[/quote]

Bill,
Me too. I hated history in school, probably because it involved homework. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :laughing9:
I've learned more history about the Civil War, my local area, and other relics than I ever would have dreamed.
I also learned never give you the left side of the yard of an old property because you will beat me to an LC. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Thanks Bill,
Doug

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You have my Colonial vote, Dug. :thumbsup: You are a great asset to this forum, my bud from NC.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Doug, you are such a thoughtful soul, except when it come to jokes on me.
Let's give one for the kids. What could it hurt? We are all about doing the hobby right.
Great idea, for a yardee! :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: That is a VERY cool idea :icon_thumleft: Just to see that BIG SMILE ;D on your nephew's face gave me a big smile! I think a banner and maybe some kind of room on the forum would be a touchdown :hello2:
Very thoughtful and great idea Doug :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread