winter research

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Now that winter is upon us in Northern Indiana my attention turns to research and I decided this winter I was going to be serious and diligent in finding new places to detect!

I head to the local history section of the library to check out a book to zone in on an area I need to hunt. While reading the material I ran across an interesting tidbit. The book I'm reading is a biography of sorts and in it she tells of her childhood (age 7 or 8) and being sent to live w/ an old, mean woman. As she explored this new terrain she stumbles on a cave and in it she states it was filled with gold watches, rings, all kinds of jewelry, diamonds, silk dresses, and everything of that sort. She described it as a den of thieves because not only did she find the goods but also a group of men. According to her they talked of killing her at once but since she was so small and innocent looking they would spare her life. They tied her hands and kept her in a cave for 2 days, then after that, made her swear she'd never reveal her hiding place or they'd hunt her down and drink her blood. On the first day of her imprisonment one of them brought in a woman's finger w/ a diamond ring around it.

Were they grave robbers?

All I have for the location is a county, no exact dates...just general info. The book was written in 1879 and I have a couple of names.

Ya think it's worth the time and effort to try and locate this cave?

K

Kentucky Kache

I would. Any time you have something that you think might be true, do a little exploring.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I would assume that either:

1. The thieves absconded with all the loot

OR

2. The location/cave has since been discovered and it's contents.

This area is in another state and as I stated in the original post, all I have is vague info or recollections of a young child.

Ack, what the hell...I guess it's worth a couple of hours at the library to see if names, etc... pan out, hook-up to the area in question.

K

Kentucky Kache

What if you found out the gang was all captured or killed. The loot could still be there. It's the possibilities that makes it interesting.

Maybe you could find a cache researcher in that state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread