JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been spending lots of time doing research lately. Monday I hit the road to check out 5 locations that I have on my hit list around central Florida. I was only able to visit 4 before dark.

One was on private property which I asked for permission to hunt and was granted. I plan to go back to do the back half of the property.
Two others were in a State Park / Preserve
One other was not occupied, but so surrounded by homes, that I couldn't find an easy spot to slip behind and hike to the location. (Have to head back there)

Yesterday I went to go check out the last location. It resides in a pasture. I asked a local who gave me the name of a gentleman that is leasing the pasture. The owner is in South Florida. I called the guy this morning and explained that I was doing some historical research and found a possible Indian Town from the 1700's on the pasture and was wondering if I could take a look around. After some chat, he agreed. He said he was at the property at that moment. I told him I would come by this afternoon. I rounded up all my stuff, took off and was there about 75 minutes later. I called him to find out where I should meet him, but now, he wanted to know who I worked for. Then he wasn't sure if this was such a good idea and said I should call the owner down in South Florida to have him call him to give permission. (Yeah, I'll hold my breath for that).

So I killed the bulk of daylight on one of my vacation days for a wild goose chase. A little disheartening, but I'll move on.

Jack

Likely Guy

Hey Jack, nice to meet you.

When you said, "I called the guy this morning and explained that I was doing some historical research and found a possible Indian Town from the 1700's on the pasture and was wondering if I could take a look around." That raised a few red flags for me.

I'm just saying that you probably spooked the guy. He might of been thinking that this place was a burial ground, you're an archaeologist, etc., etc.

By the way, 'historical research' is a very loose term and that's probably what raised his flags. If you told him you're detecting or digging for relics, he probably wouldn't have given a crap. That's just my take on it.

All the best, Brian.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Jack, since you think you are really on to an Indian site, all may not be lost if you can snoop out the local Archaeology Club,(or Historical Society) (hopefully there is one) and contact them in hopes that they know nothing of the site. Don't spill the beans right off to them, but check out their attitude toward detectorists , and you chances of being any assistance to them on any of their projects. It is a long shot for sure but there are some groups now that have actually warmed up to and now realize the benefits of having detectorists as members. If the situation is friendly enough and favorable, it may take some time but could be worth it to meet some new friends and possible opportunities at some detecting sites. Done through their club would of course mean some strict rules and regs but that is to be expected and if you ever actually make it on to the Indian site, that will be the only way to go. If they are hostile, shuck it back on down the road. Good luck! Cass

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week or so had gone by and I decided to type up a letter and send it to the owner. I included two copies of a waiver of liability and a self addressed stamped envelope.

I just got it back today stating that "My insurance won't allow me to grant the permission you requested."

Oh well, nice of him to reply. It's kind of frustrating to think that our society has evolved to the point where a land owner is afraid to allow someone to walk on his land.

Jack

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely Guy said:
When you said, "I called the guy this morning and explained that I was doing some historical research and found a possible Indian Town from the 1700's on the pasture and was wondering if I could take a look around." That raised a few red flags for me.

Hey Brian,

I took your advice and toned down my requests to be very generic. Just hunting for relics as a hobby . . .

Jack

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
The "insurance" line was just that. A line of BS. Just his way of using an excuse to say no.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Don't be too hard on the property owner. He doesn't want to be invaded
by archie types. They would bring him nothing but grief. Hate to disagree,
Cass, but the truth is these characters are in it for the fame of being first on
site.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Lastleg, I know more than a little about what I spoke of as to the advantages of being in an Archaeology Club. Having been in such a club for over 30 years , I have been on more than a couple of sites with my detectors where no way would I have ever had that opportunity otherwise. And yes , there are plenty of Archies left that are hardnose and totally against it. The smart ones have learned to use the detector as a tool, and reap the benefits of it's use. As for plenty of the land owners being anti Archie, that is true also, and usaually because of those diehard DA Archies that have not learned yet the value of the "golden rule." Win some and loose some, and hope the winners will make up for the lost ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions