What do you carry, and how ?

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I saw a post a while back (can't find it now, or would have posted there) about what folks take with them when they go out. If I'm just hunting a field, I just grab my one belt, shovel and bag. Most of the time I am in some pretty remote areas though, sometimes miles away from paved roads, and have my "long-distance" pack. In case of bad luck or stupidity (injured or lost) I carry some extras in the long distance bag. Here is my gear:

Detector and shovel
IMG_6063.jpg

On my shovel is attached a padded rifle sling on swivels. Sure makes it easier to hump through the woods.

IMG_6064.jpg

Small digger and pinpointer in an old police radio case on a belt. Pouch with smaller containers inside, and cotton balls to protect fragile finds. Gloves, and waterproof/snakeproof boots.

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

Camelbak-holds three quarts of water, and knife on belt clip. There is also a compass on it that isn't visible (in case of GPS failure)
IMG_6067.jpg

Spare batteries, lighter, cigarettes (optional) marker tape, beef jerky, water purifying straw, cell phone, insect repellent, 2 flashlights, GPS, a couple of plastic bags, and and toilet paper.
IMG_6069.jpg

And, of course, a camera, because you never know when you might find something you want a pic of.
DSCN2041.jpg

DSCN2042.jpg

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have everything you need....Matt

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you see the snake? I saw one in Stafford a few years ago. I don't think they are supposed to be quite this far north.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go hunt I do not leave the house with out my "tool box", a tacklebox full of items in case something breaks, stops working and or needs maintenance. It contains, spare batteries (AA, AAA, 9 volt, and watch battery for head light), loop coil bolt, washers, tie wraps, roll of velcro strips, black electrical tape, duct tape, allen wrench set, plyers, needlenose plyers, silcone grease, bug spray, cutter for tiewraps, silcone sealer and a couple other odds and ends I can't think of at the moment.

I also never go with out taking a spare back up detector, spare scoop if water hunting, vest if land hunting, spare harness with bungee if water hunting with clip on water bottle. Nothing worse then going hunting have find you forgot something, or something breaks........

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
Hello, OkieHillBillie here any time I go out I or We are always Carring some sort of protection. We are not as fast runners or as agile as we used to be so we need all of the help we can get.

OkieHillBillie.

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
I carry a pistol all the time, so I didn't count that as part of my "detecting" gear.

The snake was in Stafford, but I have seen them in Fairfax as well. The area I hunt in Stafford is full of copperheads, so that's why I went with the snakeproof boots.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Thanks I had never seen one until I that one ins Stafford and checked. I forget what they were called but the book had them only as far north as south western VA. Guess they don't know what they are tlaking about. I just realized. I didn't answer the orginal question. I've never carried a lot of stuff and it depends on far from the truck I'll be. I usually just take my machine, a regular short handled shovel, a small digging tool, a military belt with 3 pouches, one for junk one for good stuff and one for a water bottle. I also carry a couple big medicine bottles with cotton to put any buttons or small items in. If I'm going to be a good distance from the truck I'll take my camera, a water bottle and a couple power bars.

B

BIG61AL

Wow. All I usually have in my pockets are a pen, about twenty seven cents in change [if I am luckey enough to actually have money] and a mint from the last restaurant I ate at.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chapstick. Man, ya gotta have chapstick.
apush

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I started carrying my stuff in a five gallon bucket a couple of years ago.
I added a top and made a hole so I could reach in and get stuff from it,
and put my good and bad finds in it. The top with the hole lets me use it as
a seat when I get tired and want to sit down. I also added a few other
features like a recessed plastic container that I can put small finds like coins
and rings in, and I put some holes and a slot for my metal probe and my digging
tool. I also keep a can of bug repellent a root cutter and a small zip up pouch
with some things that come in handy in an emergency in it. I also carry my Garrett
Pro-Pointer on my belt and Santa Clause brought me a new shovel this Christmas
for those deep finds. I carry the bucket with my left hand while I swing my ACE 250
with my right, the bucket is pretty light and I'm used to it now. Anyone have any
ideas on how to rig a sling for my new shovel so I can carry it on my shoulder.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_7700.JPG
    100_7700.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_7702.JPG
    100_7702.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_7703.JPG
    100_7703.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 230

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolcottdigger, the first poster on this thread has a good idea for carrying his shovel. You could use the same idea of a rifle sling with a snap loop on each end. Or you could get someone to tack-weld a couple of rifle swivels to attach a sling with snap rings.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Idea :sign13: with the rifle sling on the shovel :icon_thumleft:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's such a good idea I'm going to steal borrow it myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread