Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: PAYPAL B.S.

thrillathahunt said:
Paypal has become a totalitarian entity. You are now forced to only accept Paypal (which is owned by them) for payments. If you do not keep at least a 4.8 rating, or have more than one complaint, they can punish you in all kinds of ways.
I have 100 percent good feedback... But, I'm told by Pay-pal yesterday not enough of them accumulated. :-\

It's not a scam but, just how they work. The funny thing is, is that they took their fees out already and froze mine. This bothers me greatly

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Iron Patch said:
Easy to hate em if you don't have to send or receive money much, but if you do, in today's world there's no choice!
I agree.

Again, Moderation is great but, c'mon they are asking for everything to steal our identity's.

Full social security? I wont do it.

I'd probably find a way to deal with the hold because even if you're willing to give them the world it can still be a pain. Keep in mind Paypal is in procession of the funds so it's not like the buyer can just back out of the deal. My only issue with that situation is limited buying power, something that would only affect a small % of sellers.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have been on eBay and Paypal for several years and the only problem that I had was an email that I got that was wanting me to update my file. I contacted eBay and they told me that it was a scam because they never send messages regarding your account thru email. Messages from eBay will be in your my account only under messages. But we are in a technical age and anything can happen. I don't know why they are holding your money and it makes me nervous it happened to someone that I know. Please keep me updated on the situation.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurehound said:
I have been on eBay and Paypal for several years and the only problem that I had was an email that I got that was wanting me to update my file. I contacted eBay and they told me that it was a scam because they never send messages regarding your account thru email. Messages from eBay will be in your my account only under messages. But we are in a technical age and anything can happen. I don't know why they are holding your money and it makes me nervous it happened to someone that I know. Please keep me updated on the situation.

Again, as posted above, if you have any concerns go to the Paypal page and log into your account. Anytime PP sends you a message for a required change you never have to do it through an emailed link. Ebay is the only place I will click to do business, otherwise I'm on the PP website.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's over.

Now, if I have anything left in my bank account tomorrow I'll be all set.~

For future reference. This process took 3 days to rectify.

My information was faxed to a supervisor. Not a floor tech.

Thanks for the reassurance. ~~~

Our review is complete and we have restored your account.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your help in making PayPal
the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI

I am not going to defend PayPal, but the scumbags who do rip people off cause issues for everyone. I have a small business and 2 parts of the business use PayPal for people to pay for software or training courses. I have never had an issue other than they will review a transaction for 1-2 days before releasing the money. That is irritating. However, when I looked at using other services for credit card transactions, that is where businesses are being reamed. The transactions costs are crazy. Ever see the movie Fight Club? Anyway, Paypal really does fill a void that saves money on transactions. Cheaper than Google. But, then again, I have never had anything held for 21 days.......

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

camcolo said:
I am not going to defend PayPal, but the scumbags who do rip people off cause issues for everyone. I have a small business and 2 parts of the business use PayPal for people to pay for software or training courses. I have never had an issue other than they will review a transaction for 1-2 days before releasing the money. That is irritating. However, when I looked at using other services for credit card transactions, that is where businesses are being reamed. The transactions costs are crazy. Ever see the movie Fight Club? Anyway, Paypal really does fill a void that saves money on transactions. Cheaper than Google. But, then again, I have never had anything held for 21 days.......
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for your input.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

Iron Patch said:
Easy to hate em if you don't have to send or receive money much, but if you do, in today's world there's no choice!
There are always choices. If they ever do that to me, I will cancel my account that day and only accept check or MOs.
Dan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oneeye said:
Iron Patch said:
There are always choices. If they ever do that to me, I will cancel my account that day and only accept check or MOs.
Dan

I've paid them many thousands of dollars and am pretty sure they wouldn't miss me, so not sure they'd miss you either. :)

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I have had a PayPal account for years and was recently subjected to a hold on my funds when I sold a detector on Ebay. The funny thing is the same week I had sold other items that were not subjected to an account hold. I believe that it has something to do with the dollar amount of the sale. The detector I sold was for $250, the other items were about $120 combined. I had also not used my account to receive funds for about a year, so that may have something to do with it. I can't say that I have ever had PP request my personal information to verify my account. That is strange to say the least.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if it can be used at ebay since they own paypal but another alternative is Google Checkout.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used paypal since 2000, so almost 10 yrs, I have never had a bit of trouble with them, with things I sold in last month I took in about $1000 bucks and sent my money to my bank account right away, never a bit of trouble.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Have never had any issues with paypal but they are starting to get costly have never had a hold put on anything but it can take a few days to transfer from paypal to my bank account.

Looking at money orders can get expensive and a week or so to arrive, there is no recourse once its sent.

Not sure about the States but here in Canada the banks have E Transfer some folks keep an account just for that purpose.
It's instant can be done on line, I've done this with a few people and it works well.
Dan :thumbsup:

Icandigit

Aug 1, 2006
Plymouth,NE
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had nothing but problems with them lately even as buyers not just sellers. You are much futher ahead to just get a credit card terminal and do it that way. Have you money in a couple of days and you are done for about 1.4% fee. We closed our business and thought I would do Paypal but regret it now.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icandigit said:
We've had nothing but problems with them lately even as buyers not just sellers. You are much futher ahead to just get a credit card terminal and do it that way. Have you money in a couple of days and you are done for about 1.4% fee. We closed our business and thought I would do Paypal but regret it now.

So what type of problems, especially the buyer ones? It's nice to hear what is going on because many people blame the system when it's actually the person on the other end who is causing the trouble.

Icandigit

Aug 1, 2006
Plymouth,NE
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We bought an item from a seller that had free shipping. They sent a totally different item to us and would not refund the money. We returned the item to the seller and got no refund. Contacted Paypal and filed a claim. They said to return the item to the seller and they seller said we would get our money back plus the cost of returned shipping. All they refunded was the cost of the item and said they could do nothing about the cost of return shipping to the seller. That's the way it goes with them so be careful on the free shipping . It's so much easier and cheaper as a seller just to get a credit card terminal and do it yourself.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had Paypal for a long time, also - and they have never held my money - even though I have sold and bought, some expensive items.

Are you absolutely sure this isn't a scam?

B

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icandigit said:
We bought an item from a seller that had free shipping. They sent a totally different item to us and would not refund the money. We returned the item to the seller and got no refund. Contacted Paypal and filed a claim. They said to return the item to the seller and they seller said we would get our money back plus the cost of returned shipping. All they refunded was the cost of the item and said they could do nothing about the cost of return shipping to the seller. That's the way it goes with them so be careful on the free shipping . It's so much easier and cheaper as a seller just to get a credit card terminal and do it yourself.

You think it's a big issue because once you lost out on the shipping as a result of having to return something? So how many times would this happen out of 100 tranasactions, or 1,000 transactions? The answer is very few, and certainly not enough to worry about. Ebay is definitely not the place to buy and sell if losing a few bucks once is of great concern.

When things have gone sour for some of my deals I'm just happy to be done with them. There's been times where I would have glady refunded someone $20 just to get rid of them... and I would if it came to that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread