Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aerial photography didn't really get going until the 1920's-30's, but by the later half of the 30s, more than 2/3s of the US had been shot by aerial cameras. Three federal agencies, namely the Soil Conservation Service, Agricultural Adjustment Administration, and the Forest Service, accounted for most of the work in aerial photography. Other agencies involved in early aerial photography work included the U.S. Geological Survey, the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Coast and Geodetic Survey, and the Army Air Corps. You might check out these sources.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Mackaydon suggested, these are excellent sources.

You might also try the Geneology section of your local library or the
local historical society where you live to see if they any copies of Plat maps
and USGS Topographic mapping from that period. These maps would also show
cultural features. . . such as buildings and structures. I've used these sources
near where I live and have located several "productive" homestead sites that
have been hidden away in the woods.

Good luck!

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You could try historicalaerials.com
Depending on where you are, anywhere the dark green shows they have them back to the 40's and 50's

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go out and walk the field looking for any sign of bricks, nails, broken glass or pottery, etc.

Check the high spots first. Generally they were pretty close to the road.

Of course, it's also much easier to just go to the library and get the plat map for the county.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're close enough to travel to where the State Archives and History Department is located, go there and look for the photos you need. If there are no aerial photos, then check for the US Geographical Survey Maps. Those maps were printed from information gotten from aerial pictures. Look for the older maps because the newer ones were printed from masters that had been changed to show the land as it existed in those later years. That's why you'll see large areas of "white" on the newer prints of the maps. Those areas are scraped clean on the masters and new roads and buildings are inked in before printing the updated issues.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
USGS.gov/ historical maps and then your town name and or county and state. On GOOGLE.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Our local energy supplier used aerial photos as early as 1949. Very handy if you kind find access in your area. They used used these to lay out the utilities.

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
If you live in Connecticut I can give you a great link for aerial photos from 1934 and 1965.
I'm working on a google earth overlay for my hometown of wolcott Connecticut with 1934 aerial photos.
I'ts amazing how my little town has changed in seventy five years.
Try your states library website thats where I found the photos I'm working with.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread