Kentucky SB 6 bans Metal Detecting

bob knepper

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2008
Owensville, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
LETS GET THE WORD OUT TO PROTECT OUR HOBBY AND YOUR BUSINESS.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/10RS/SB6.htm
AN ACT relating to metal detectors in state parks.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

âSECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 148 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Metal detector" means any device that senses the presence of metals; and
(b) "Unimproved area" means any area that has not been changed through artificial means, but does not include a sand beach used for swimming.
(2) A person may not use a metal detector in unimproved areas of a state park.
âSection 2. KRS 148.991 is amended to read as follows:
(1) Any person who violates subsection (2) of KRS 148.051 shall be fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100), or imprisoned in jail for not less than one (1) day nor more than ten (10) days or both.
(2) Any person who violates KRS 148.029 or Section 1 of this Act shall be fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(3) Whoever violates, fails, neglects or refuses to obey any provision of KRS 148.610 to 148.780, or regulation, or order of the commissioner may be compelled to comply with or obey the same by injunction, mandamus, or other appropriate remedy; and provided, further, that whoever violates, fails, neglects, or refuses to obey any provision of KRS 148.610 to 148.780, or regulation, or order of the commissioner shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for each day of such violation.
(4) Any person who violates any provision of KRS 148.290 shall be fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(5) Any person who violates KRS 148.290(3), (4), or (5) governing golf cart-type vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, and horse trailers, including administrative regulations promulgated pursuant to that statute, forfeits the rights and privileges, as granted by the commission, of using the vehicle or trailer on State Horse Park property. The executive director of the State Horse Park shall ensure that vehicles or trailers in violation are impounded to the nearest licensed tow company. The owner or operator of such a vehicle or trailer shall pay any and all expenses related to the vehicle's or trailer's towing and impoundment.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This is only for state parks, not "kentucky" in general on all other levels of ownership/jurisdiction. And as such, is probably not unusual for any state, if you think of it. There's a lot (if not most) of the states where it's just known to avoid state parks (particularly historic monument type ones anyhow). This can either be because, if you asked, they can morph something along the cultural heritage lines (because you asked) and in others, it's specifically mentioned (as this KY deal goes). This evolution has evolved in other states, where people have asked enough (to be "on the safe side"), so the lawmakers eventually "address the pressing issue" by specifically spelling out stuff. Yes, no doubt spearheaded by archies who hate us, but none-the-less, not un-like every state, if you asked enough questions to deep enough levels.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right where some have asked to many questions of if it was Allowed to detect in State Parks and those narrow minded people in authority decided to head off problems before they started.

It is harder to reverse rules and policy once enacted but not impossible. It takes lots of correspondence to your legislators which many don't bother with.

My state of Michigan has many state parks off limits or restricted to detecting parking lots which are paved. This way the DNR can say they allow detecting. :laughing7:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't waste my time on a location that is in a state park. Most state parks do not allow metal detectors so I just don't hunt them. I am not saying all state parks have these rules but most of what I have found clearly state no detectors so I don't even think twice about taking my machine on state parks. Too many other places to hunt. Thanks for the post. There may a few new hunters out there that are not familiar with these rules.

Commoncents

Feb 9, 2008
KY
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, v3i, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that you have misunderstood this.....

This bill was actually created with the help of some of the Kentucky metal detecting clubs. Metal detecting has been totally banned from KY state parks for many years already. This bill will open up 'improved' areas of KY state parks for detecting. I understand that the brief synopsis header on the web page for the bill mistakenly states as being permitted on 'unimproved' areas only, but action has been taken to have that corrected. The wording in the bill itself is correct. It is simply an amendment to change the current statute from stating 'the use of metal detectors shall be prohibited in all Kentucky state parks' to 'A person may not use a metal detector in unimproved areas of a state park' This will allow hunting in the improved, or 'disturbed' areas and beaches in the parks.

We need to SUPPORT State Bill SB6, not lobby against it. Please read the wording in the bill carefully and join us in SUPPORTING this bill!

Randy D.

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hello All,

I was at the meeting with our state senator where I met Randy. He has stated everything as it is meant to be. We have never been allowed to hunt State Parks here in KY. and this bills intent is to get us in them in the disturbed areas. We need everyone to support this bill.

Later Jimmy T

K

Kentucky Kache

plehbah said:
Sounds like it is time to start thinking outside of the box, boys. The old ways have not worked.

Say, has anyone noticed that the internet has been invented?

Yes, Al Gore did good, didn't he. And yes, we notice you, too Pleb.

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I am the Secretary of the Bluegrass Loop and Coil Club in Louisville, Ky. I was with Jimmie T when Senator Dan Seum spoke to us about introducing the State Bill 6. Please support this bill as it will open up our state parks to metal detecting and also help bring tourists to our parks as well. We want to open up our state to our neighboring states. This will allow our vendors to have hunts and be supported by our businesses. Thanks for your support. Several states already allow conventions and hunts for worthy causes in their parks now. This will allow detecting in " improved" ares only. Thanks Eddie B.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
It amazes me how easily the sheep will accept the scraps from the tables of those in power. While I cannot speak for those in Kentucky, this is a prime example of the tail wagging the dog. I wish people would wake up and realize who is in charge.

Good luck Kentuckians!
Dan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like the bill would open up parts of a Stae Park to metal detecting, where currently no part of the State Park is open for metal detecting, this is a step in the right direction. A war is usually won or lost in individual battles.

Good luck :icon_thumright:

Metalman1959

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being "new" to metal detecting I already knew state parks are basically off limits. I did some emailing (Thanks Mr. Gore for inventing the Internet...LOL) and found two really important things. One, there are no laws against metal detecting in Warren County, KY. Two the same applies for the city of Bowling Green. There are some exceptions... You cannot hunt any historical sites, and do not leave holes in any county or city properties. Sounds like to me they are just protecting historical places and don't want the properties all dug up. In other words just follow basic metal detecting ethics.
As for the senate bill, I agree that it is opening up some possible state land to hunt and who knows if we get enough clubs and people involved they may even allow some hunting on unimproved lands. Anywho... that's how I understood it. There is a law (I read this somewhere) that you can't keep anything over 100 years old. Anybody have a take on this? I mean if I were to find a 1900 silver dollar what do you think I'm going to do with it? Throw it away? Seems to me this is a "gray area" if anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate your help. :dontknow:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sounds like you are referring to the archeological protection act. Money is specifically exempted from this act. Frank coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Frankn, the exception of "coins and bullets" on ARPA, has often been mis-interpretted. Some people interpret it broadly, like you're doing here, to think that all coins and bullets (and I suppose, related items) are "exempted". But if you read that part of ARPA, in its full context, you will see that it is only exempting those "coins and bullets" that are not archaeologically significant. Which only brings up the question: great, which items are "archaeologically signficant" then? :) The answer has been variously answered (depending on the entity) as being either 50 or 100 yrs. old.

But SERIOUSLY now folks, I mean, c'mon, be real: If THAT were the only impediment to stopping someone from being able to detect on some particular state park, then that means you CAN detect, but ..... just only for "new" stuff, right? Then I mean, duh, does anyone really follow you around with a calculator doing the math on the age of the coins you find? Sheesk. Simply put any nice older coins in your "other" pocket. Although even that is silly, as ........ in my 35+ yrs. of this, I have NEVER had anyone riffle through my apron upon exiting a park.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
IT's time to develop my new invention. Metal detecting shoes. They look just like combat boots but hide a Minelab.
My new bush hat morphs into a gold pan.

Curious how corporates can have their way with State and Fed land but not it's actual owners. Maybe we can buy a few legislators.

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, so i am headed down to Paris KY to see my dad and am intersted in detecting.
what are the laws like now, i see this chat is several years old,,, thanks timmy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi All, so i am headed down to Paris KY to see my dad and am intersted in detecting.
what are the laws like now, i see this chat is several years old,,, thanks timmy

You'd need to be specific where, within "Paris KY", you are talking about. Because that's just a city name. But within any city (or the close-by environs anyhow) can be multiple types identies. Eg.: private? city? county? state? federal? And even within each of them, can be various forms of entities. So you have to be more specific.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A person may not use a metal detector in unimproved areas of a state park.

I don't really like it but they really are trying to protect endangered species from getting trampled on in the woods. I think Michigan has a similar rule in their state parks, but it's not really a law.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions