What is the best button identification book?????

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
There are 2 good books Albert's and Tice's. Tices is strictly the earlier buttons up to the civil war while Albert's cover buttons past the civil war. Which is best is probably a matter of opinion. I've been using Albert's in about 1970 so it is the one I go to first.
There is another book worth investing in. It is McQuinn's & Bazelon's American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates. This book is the best on backmarks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a small collection of them to cover the bases well. You have to decide what your main interest is and go from there. Alberts is good because it's American, which is of course what you mainly find, and it also covers different periods which is cool too... however .... It's mostly militarily based and there's lots of interesting nonmilitary buttons out there to be found too. It's much the same as coins, no one book will do it all.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Yep I have to agree with Iron Patch. I was thinking military and uniform buttons but there are a lot of other types of buttons to find as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions