CW bullets

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Close your eyes.....Envision what you might think 20-30,000 troops looks like.
Then envision being shot at by another party of thousands and how freaked out you would be by trying to reload your weapon. Many lead shot were simply dropped by people out of pure fear. Then you have to realize that the war went on for a few years . Certain rounds are valuable but, for the most part worth about 3-4 bucks in unfired condition. When soldiers were bored they would carve on lead shot to pass time hence the word "trench art. "

I wouldn't quit you day job to survive off selling CW bullets.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Most civil war bullets are dropped. Most had paper cartridges and over the years they have rotted away. If it rained and the ammo got wet it was no good and they would just dump out the bullets and be issued new ammo. I've gotten into several spots where they were issued new ammo and you would dig 30 to 60 bullets in one hole. Like 4-H said envision thousands of troops and all these guys are carrying about 40 rounds in their cartridge boxes. I would have to disagree with 4-H a bit on the price though ( sorry 4-H) The common bullets go for about $1 to 1.50 each and rare ones can got into the hundreds, There are a couple that can go for a thousand or more each but these are extremely rare. Mason & McKee's #533 is a example with less than 20 or so known. I agree with 4-H you won't make a living from selling bullets.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vayank54 said:
Most civil war bullets are dropped. Most had paper cartridges and over the years they have rotted away. If it rained and the ammo got wet it was no good and they would just dump out the bullets and be issued new ammo. I've gotten into several spots where they were issued new ammo and you would dig 30 to 60 bullets in one hole. Like 4-H said envision thousands of troops and all these guys are carrying about 40 rounds in their cartridge boxes. I would have to disagree with 4-H a bit on the price though ( sorry 4-H) The common bullets go for about $1 to 1.50 each and rare ones can got into the hundreds, There are a couple that can go for a thousand or more each but these are extremely rare. Mason & McKee's #533 is a example with less than 20 or so known. I agree with 4-H you won't make a living from selling bullets.
Lol I've never sold any. I heard of a guy getting 3-4 bucks a slug in a popular tourist spot but, some people would buy anything on vacation at just about any price.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
You're right, some of the tourist traps and other places manage to get 4 or 5 dollars each on them so I guess I kind of owe you an apology on that. Relic shops around here buy nice dropped common bullets like the ''58's and sharps for about 70 cents and sell them for around 1.50

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Close your eyes.....Envision what you might think 20-30,000 troops looks like.
Then envision being shot at by another party of thousands and how freaked out you would be by trying to reload your weapon. Many lead shot were simply dropped by people out of pure fear. Then you have to realize that the war went on for a few years . Certain rounds are valuable but, for the most part worth about 3-4 bucks in unfired condition. When soldiers were bored they would carve on lead shot to pass time hence the word "trench art. "

I wouldn't quit you day job to survive off selling CW bullets.

Thanks for the info, I have never found one...YET. I am hoping that changes soon

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:

Thanks! I need to find a CW site b4 I can hope to find some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread