Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all....

Since I have gleaned so much great info on this board, it comes to mind first when I am looking for advice or information. I have quite a few big ball fields near my home, and although I found a decent amount of clad in the one I searched (it took 4 outings to cover it all... they are a lot of square feet), I never found anything but clad or the usual pop tops and shredded aluminum can pieces. I have read countless posts here of great finds on ballfields, and a lot of rings to boot..
Can those that regularly hunt Baseball fields share a few pointers? Areas that produce best, least, what to look for, etc? Which seem to be better, high school fields or public fields?
I HAVE searched several baseball fields, but in all but one I only worked the bases and home plate, and actually found nothing there..

Thanks in advance!

SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ball fields are usually more free of trash items and all the areas beyond the pitchers mound where the grass is thicker seems to hold the better finds. Clad is usually easy to find as silver being more conductive will respond easy so these could have been found years ago when silver was at a higher price.

I don't hunt them anymore as the water is where I find the babes. :laughing7:

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
We have a sports complex near by with 5 ball fields,and the fields are used for mighty mites football yearly. I started detecting there about a year ago hoping to find some good jewelry.Well, after about 4 weeks of diggin,and clad, clad, and more clad,I went back to detecting the hundred year old sites I prefer to hunt over the newer places. Then a few weeks ago, being that I've never found gold, I set my mind on finding some. I spent probably a good 12 hours over two weeks pullin out loads of tabs,very little clad, and a few junk rings from the local parks. Aggrevated, I posted something a while back about diggin pulltabs,and gold or something,and my response from Tom inCal.,was athletic fields and swimming beaches. Well dont have too many beaches around here so I thought about the sports complex down the road. After about 6 hours and 1 week later, I've found around $20 in clad, a nice silver ring, and finnaly! my first gold! a 10kt gold ring. I now believe for newer coins and jewelry, that athletic fields are great places to detect! But with 5 fields and all the areas around them it can be overwhelming where to go. I make pretty good proggress by,where the grass and the dirt meet, start checking around the field then another pass or two like mowin the lawn. After I'm about 20feet from the dirt I check around all the outfield positions then work in towards home plate. Then of course the in and outs of each field and around any consession stand if you have one. Its workin for me so far! Good luck and HHUNTIN'!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
best finds at baseball fields will be along the sidelines - under the bleachers - along the paths leading to the restrooms and in front of the concession stand.
siegfried schlagrule

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't say where the best place to hunt is because I have found stuff all over the field. I found a nice silver wedding band in the outfield. Older coins are going to be deeper which means you are going to have to hunt slower. I too had a very large field to hunt so I invited some club members to help hunt it as it was too large for one to hunt effectively. We all found good targets. We found over 300 coins in one day. One member went back later and hunted slower and found silver. This field used to be an old city park before they made it into a ball field. Take your time. If older coins are there you will find them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have two ballfields that have really produced, one in particular. At first I thought it was newer, maybe 50 years old. I dug a couple mercs. Researching, I found out that the site was well over 100 years old! I ended up changing detectors and hunted slowly, as the good stuff was 7-10 inches deep in soft soil. It was as if no one had detected there before; I dug many more mercs, barber dimes, quarters, many indians, seated dime, and the list goes on....if you are looking for old coins, do your research on the ballfield. I found out mine was once the site of a traveling circus show in the early 1900's. ffd

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
OK here is my input try it and see what happins..Outfield is the best spot for the rings..The further you go out the better chance for that ring but first you must have that guy or girl willing to toss the ball very hard and far for that ring to come of in the first place..Now that we have that guy or gal that lost it we now need to put our coil right over where it landed..I have found a few gold rings in the outfield but they were very far out and each time all i could think was that they must of really tossed the ball hard just to get it to the infield and lost the ring in the process..Good luck and happy hunting.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Baseball was very popular in the day and most parks had fields. Nice ones.
Do your homework where the wealthy would have congregated and played.
I used to detect them quite a bit.
for some crazy reason, I dug more gold rings between 2nd and 3rd bases.
Because that's where all the action is at in baseball. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread