Best detector out there

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster
Never even detected before, But got all excited when I acquired older brother's detector Garretts Deepseeker ADS old relic, thought man if I'm going to get into detecting I'm going to look for the best thing I can afford and up grade, Ten days later googling every site out there , Two bottles of Excedrin later I came to the conclusion I already have the best detector out there,
1 Can turn on and Go
2 Can run Auto or Manual
3 TR Discrimination
4 Ground Cancel Control Auto or Manual
5 It was free ;D
Only thing I can think as not so great is how heavy this thing is.
Struggling mostly right now with cabin fever :D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well the free part is absolutely great :thumbsup: Now you are gonna have to learn your machine. It takes time but it's worth it. I got my first one 2 years ago and it took all summer until I could guess what it was telling me and then I was only right about 75% of the time (if that). Welcome to the addiction,

HH Charlie

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend used a beast like that back when we started hunting, and it does find stuff, but certainly can't keep up with our units now. Detecting is more about the sites so if you can get on great sites, you just need an ok detector to have good results.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you going to fit right in!
I have an old beast that I hate to say, finds things my etrac has missed....often.
Keep us posted in the future on your digs!

Mike

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't beat free!

You'll find detectors are a bit like golf clubs. Pit someone with the best available vs. someone with a mismatched, rusty old set of klunkers and it will not always be the one with the best equipment that wins. Technique and strategy can carry the day.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Can't beat free!

You'll find detectors are a bit like golf clubs. Pit someone with the best available vs. someone with a mismatched, rusty old set of klunkers and it will not always be the one with the best equipment that wins. Technique and strategy can carry the day.
Best quote of the thread.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, learn how to use it,,,, I once watched a man through a $6000.00 Perazzie over and under shot gun on the ground at a sporting clays match, cause it don't shoot straight! :icon_scratch:
I offered him a hundred bucks for it and he told me to,,,,,,,,. Jerk.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Probably best to use what you have, for a while...

Go to the tot lots and toss a nickel out in the sand. Adjust the machine to find it, and chances are you're good to go for most targets of value.

If you wish to get a bit more serious about it, tie a string on a 'ladies yellow metal ring' and bury it a few inches for setting the machine. Dig all targets !

Have fun !

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spooky said:
4-H said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Can't beat free!

Best quote of the thread.

yeah, no doubt.. Can I STEAL this?

:icon_pirat:

Once it's on the Internet it's public domain. But thanks for asking. Help yourself.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for a classic 1 from white's it's a blast you can tell between dime and quarters.Quarter hit harder seems to beep louder than dime or penny beep. It's lite and easy on batteries. turn on and go. thanks liftloop

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
liftloop said:
look for a classic 1 from white's it's a blast you can tell between dime and quarters.Quarter hit harder seems to beep louder than dime or penny beep. It's lite and easy on batteries. turn on and go. thanks liftloop

The F-75 and other fourth-generation TID detectors can tell a 1982 & later Lincoln cent from a pre-82 date. Some have pretty good VDI capabilities, anymore. I never thought I'd appreciate it so much (my Musketeer is all/only audio output).

Probably best to use what you have, for a while...

Go to the tot lots and toss a nickel out in the sand. Adjust the machine to find it, and chances are you're good to go for most targets of value.

If you wish to get a bit more serious about it, tie a string on a 'ladies yellow metal ring' and bury it a few inches for setting the machine. Dig all targets !

I keep a nickel in a coin flip and use it to adjust my Musketeer. I set it so I get a strong hit on that and at least I have the worst of the iron and foil discriminated out. And I agree. Starting out and frequently thereafter - dig it all just to see what the detector is telling you and whether you can believe it or not.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell the difference between pennies with my Tesoro and it doesn't have a meter. Learn the machine you have, rusted nail. With time and patience it will serve you well.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The best detector out there is the one you use and get comfortable with. While weight is a factor, there are slings to redistribute the weight on you shoulder, or buy a hip mount kit, if available. I have used a heavy detector for years and have gotten use to the weight. The more you use it, the more efficient you will become. I have hunted with guys who still use dinosaurs and they hardly miss anything. Experience is a hard thing to overcome. I also know guys who bought the newer detectors, only to sell them later and go back to a simpler and more familiar machine. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions