When a policeman approaches you

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
You're digging a beep in the park when a policeman approaches you.

What should you do?

In my latest internet radio show, former police chief Anthony Belli offers tips on how to handle yourself in an encounter with the law.

Tony goes on to outline the investigative techniques he learned as a police officer, and how you can apply them to metal detecting.

Listen to this short (4 1/2 minutes) program by clicking the pink button at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be polite. Be courteous. Make eye-contact and try to show self-confidence. Chances are he/she doesn't know for sure whether you should be there (either).

I one had the mayor/supervisor of a small town approach me and say I was interfering with a construction project. Behind here were three of the grounds-keepers snickering in their hands who had set her up (I had permission from the town maintenance crew). We ended up having a good talk and are still waving friends at that park. The area had been staked off to be paved and I wanted a good search of it and the crew had commented to her that I might be moving the stakes (I wasn't).

Probably if I had copped an attitude it would not have worked out so well.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been approached a few times by officers mainly to see what I was doing. They have always been on school or park property. As a former law enforcement officer myself (in another state) it doesn't bother me and I usually have a good conversation with them. A couple have even referred me to hunt some other locations. Nearly all the times I was approached I was on my knees looking for target. They were just curious and told me so. Also if I am hunting and I see a patrol car drive by I just wave and keep going. The only time I would see a problem would be if someone was hunting on private property or somewhere that has no detecting allowed. Heck if I saw someone looking over their shoulder all the time and looking nervous I would want to check them out myself if I was in the officers shoes. As long as you are hunting legally there should be no problem detecting. Once they get to know you they may offer some sites as well. Just remember they are there to protect and serve and don't know you.... yet. They are a great resource for hunting locations. Use it to your advantage. You would have their permission to hunt.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I like to hunt the smaller towns around where I live in New Mexico, and there's a ton of them. When I pull into town, the first thing I do is locate the deputy or police officer on duty (there's normally only one working at a time in most of these places.) Once I track him down, usually at the local convenience store, I introduce myself and tell him what I'm up to. More than once I've gotten great leads from the officer, and several times the officer knew a man who knew a man that owned the old ball-field or abandoned school grounds, and I've gotten access to places I didn't even know existed when I rolled into town.

Never once have I been booted out of a town.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Been approached twice at local schools, and asked what was I doing. I explained and even showed them what I was finding (aluminum scrap and a few quarters). They told me to have a nice day. Always be polite and up front, never act like your not suppose to be there, after all its public land.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm looking for the boyscout ring my dad lost here when he was a kid. (he lost a LOT of them, at a LOT of different locations :hello: )

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
I'm looking for the boyscout ring my dad lost here when he was a kid. (he lost a LOT of them, at a LOT of different locations :hello: )
;D

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
A few years ago a cop walked up to me in a town park. I was polite when he ask me what I was finding. Told him a few coins and a lot of junk. I was in the process of digging a target and stopped to talk. He seemed curious. He ask what I have in this hole. I replied that I had not found it yet. He said. What are you waiting for ? Dig it up so we can see what you found. He even helped. It was a Barber dime. He wanted to see it but I explained that I do not rub the dirt off as it will damage the coin. I will wash it off when I get home. He replied "well lets go to the restroom (which was only about 50 ft away) and wash it off. Which we did. He seemed happier then I was.

I have searched that park many times and if he was on duty he would always stop by to see what I was finding. Didn't see him at all last year and recently found out that he has retired.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Mark S. said:
A few years ago a cop walked up to me in a town park. I was polite when he ask me what I was finding. Told him a few coins and a lot of junk. I was in the process of digging a target and stopped to talk. He seemed curious. He ask what I have in this hole. I replied that I had not found it yet. He said. What are you waiting for ? Dig it up so we can see what you found. He even helped. It was a Barber dime. He wanted to see it but I explained that I do not rub the dirt off as it will damage the coin. I will wash it off when I get home. He replied "well lets go to the restroom (which was only about 50 ft away) and wash it off. Which we did. He seemed happier then I was.

I have searched that park many times and if he was on duty he would always stop by to see what I was finding. Didn't see him at all last year and recently found out that he has retired.

Sounds like a good buddy to go detecting with :icon_thumright: ;D

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Order him/her to stop then announce that you are carrying a bayonet with a 14 inch blade, a concealed Glock for protection and forgot your permit today and you are in this public park to do some coin shooting. At that point the conversation will mostly be directed at you and will consist of questions that you can answer with yes or jeeze I had no idea.

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
Know the rules of the place your detecting. Then, it dosent matter what the hell breeze they want to shoot, there is nothing they can do. Dont show weakness, as long as you know the rules of the place your at. Period.

orviskid

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
what are the rules for detecting? i'm new to this and was wondering where to go to look for stuff. i assume they don't want you digging up the whole town even though it is public.how do you know what land is good, to even go ask a land owner for permission?? thanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
orviskid, you are asking two different questions. One for public land, and the other for private land. Be specific: which are you wanting addressed?

For public, if it's not specifically dis-allowed (and not an obvious historical landmark or something), then consider it ok. But I notice you use the phrase "digging up the whole town" (as if you think you're going to be making AND LEAVING holes, and/or being some sort of nuisance). If you mentally characterize yourself, or our hobby, in that light, then you've already "lost the battle". Because sure, you can probably find in ANY public code, at ANY public level (county, city, state, etc...) rules against "destruction of property" or whatever. Yup, even when you get a city bureaucrat to say "sure, go ahead and metal detect", if you were to follow it up with "you mean I can 'dig up' the park then??" of course they're going to retract their "yes", and revise it to a "no" ::) That's like asking "can I pick my nose?". :tongue3: So dispel yourself of that "I'm going to make craters everywhere, I better make sure that's ok" mentality. If you (as we all do) intend to leave no marks, then I consider that not "digging up". Because to "dig up" implies that you also intend to leave a mess, marks, etc.... And since you are going to leave no evidence of your presence, then so be it. Of course don't be retreiving targets in front of busy-bodies. Go at off-times, because sometimes "perception" is everything, unfortunately. That is, even though YOU know you're not going to leave any marks, a busy-body, seeing you in the middle of a plug, can get a "bee in their bonnett".

If you're still really skittish, stick to places where no one would care less. Ratty parking strips, sandboxes, hard-pan vacant lots where there's "nothing to hurt", grassy fields that are not manicured, etc...

As for private property, once you've found a historical tidbit worth pursing (old country picnic site locations, a site where a stage stop once stood, old camping sites, etc....) then just ask away, get permission, and go for it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not engaged in criminal activity, why should you do anything? Cops have the right to 'approach' anybody they want, and speak to them if they so desire. However, I want someone to do this. Jump straight into the air. Scream. Turn in circles. Then run like hell while disrobing. It will make great footage for the first detectorist to make an episode of 'Cops'

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
If you're not engaged in criminal activity, why should you do anything? Cops have the right to 'approach' anybody they want, and speak to them if they so desire. However, I want someone to do this. Jump straight into the air. Scream. Turn in circles. Then run like hell while disrobing. It will make great footage for the first detectorist to make an episode of 'Cops'

I agree, and I nominate lamar or SWR to be the first. :sign10:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread