Has anyone buried a "treasure" for others to find?

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
Has anyone buried a "treasure" for others to find?

I've been filling an old glass vitamin bottle with Lewis and Clark commeratives and the various new Jefferson nickles. Figured these were never going to be worth more than face to me so I've been kicking around the idea of taking the bottle down to my favorite National Forest and burying the jar in one of the rockhouses. Put a little note in the jug with 'if found email, call or write yada yada'. Congratulations on finding the treasure of the --------Rockhouse.

So no one finds it, I'm out, what, $5 or $6? Sounds like a fun Saturday or Sunday project.

I know those GPS dudes do stuff like this. I was just going to bury this no clues no nothing.

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Re: Has anyone buried a "treasure" for others to find?

I was probably 6 or 7 y.o. and I put some change and a few items from the time, in a plastic butter dish some where behind our old garage. When I was a kid, time capsules, archaeology, and dreaming of finding treasure were so fascinating to me! Still are! But I could never find it, plastic probably cracked and what was in it deteriorated, plus it has over grown so much, couldnt swing a coil. This was just about 30 yrs. ago, so no silver. But it makes you think about just how many little boys,80 to 100 years ago might have done just what I did?!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are survivalists that store their firearms and such in containers for emergencies. This isn't counting the many kids that buried old toys and coins for what ever purpose. I might have done it too.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's my intent. All the worn and "silver value only" coins and my collection of dug rings go in a jar and get buried somewhere (not in a State or National park, though). Give some detectorist a huge rush.

But not while the knees still bend and I can keep adding to the treasure. :wink:

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010

I buried many little treasures in my childhood years but not for someone to find. Some of them I still remember and I could dig them today. I don't think children today do this much anymore. But up until the mid 60's or so burying a secret treasure was very common. I personally think this is how most of those large cents, old tokens, toys, etc., got into many yards and school grounds.
--Snowy

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Some sort of time capsule is a very good idea. Not for just burying treasures but information on life as it is today.

What a good idea.......what would you bury in a time capsule that may be opened in a 100 yrs say ?

Unicorn

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I have a nephew who is 7 yrs old,
he tags along with his grandpa and helps dig.
about a tear ago he got his own little detector ...
and 'Uncle' sneaks out and buries nickles and quarters and such so he can find them and keep the interest.
Kids seem to stay interested longer if they find things. LOL

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

I have been a Building Contractor for 40 years. I usually placed a current date penny above windows and doors when I installed them. Not much but I think they will thrill a person in a 100 years or so If they find them. On the last piece of siding in the peak I would write my name and date on the wall. Might be interesting to the home owener some day.
When my brothers and I were children in the 50's we buried lots of coins in our back yard. I know exactly where the yard is and it remains untouched, but it is now property of Federal Gov. and as you know, I can't take my detector there.

Happy Trails,

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

When my two stepdaughters were young, they would watch me use my metal detector and afterwhile got interested in it. So I got out my coffee can of modern pocket change and threw several handfulls all over my back lawn when they weren't home. When they got home I got my detector out and told them they could take turns and search the lawn for coins. They were really excited when they started finding all kinds of coins. I told them they could keep whatever they find. They just had a great time, but I know they didn't find all of them not even half, so some day someone maybe years from now may just hit there jackpot in my back lawn.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe

A gun and ammo cache is a good thing to have* :icon_thumright:

My caches will never be found-........... :tongue3:

but dug up by me later when needed..........TEOTWAWKI~

for they can only be found when the sun is down....... :icon_sunny:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Cachefinder said:
A gun and ammo cache is a good thing to have* :icon_thumright:

My caches will never be found-........... :tongue3:

but dug up by me later when needed..........TEOTWAWKI~

for they can only be found when the sun is down....... :icon_sunny:
Oh boy..Never, say never.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't buried anything for people to find. I'm not about to bury my guns and ammo. I don't understand the logic in that. If you're competent or at least look good holding a gun, that will discourage most thieves. I have seen what Simond says about putting a current date penny in freshly poured concrete. Somebody will dig then out someday.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

modern zinc cents will not last in concrete will breakdown -- pre 82 copper / bronze cents ok most likely

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007

I buried about 50 to 60 memorial pennies at a large local park three years ago. I buried these at the base of a large pine tree about 3 to 4 inches deep. I did it as an experiment to see how long they would be there. They are still there and I doubt that anyone will find them in the near future.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI: Well not really burying, but reburying. I always leave a few of what ever it is, especially coins, for the next TH'r to find and to keep up their enthusiasm, and know that they were right. Actual recovery is extremely nice, but so is the solving of the puzzle.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas

We had a old timer member (R.I.P. Richard) in our club that since the 1970's had been painting cents red and planting them in a large circle and then planting a plastic film container or Rx bottle in the middle of them with a dime and a written note on his MDing card.
He has them planted all over the Kansas City area, and in some of the most unexpected areas you can think of.
I found one of his caches in 2008 that he had planted in 2004. It was a thrill. The note on the back says something like "give me a call and tell me all you know".
His wife is still alive and loves to hear about anyone finding his caches, so we always call her.
So if you are ever in the KC area and find a cent painted red, don't stop there, there will be about 5 more with a prize from Richard in the middle.
(I blued out the phone number below)
~KANSAS~

Attachments

• RA                      - 002.jpg
    RA - 002.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 161

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread