Wife bought me Black Widows... Is it me, or the headphones?

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me a pair of Black Widows for our anniversary and I used them for the first time today. I have to say, I dont know if it is me or the phones, but I was disappointed.... They sound very "tinny" to me, and I have to crank them all the way up to hear with them. I have to use the limiter switch since they do give a pretty loud noise if I find a top or very shallow (1-2") target... I was expecting the same kind of thing we experienced (us old cogers) when we heard stereo vs mono radios, but didnt find that to be the case. Like I said, I may just be expecting them to be like a great pair of Stereo music headphones vs a kiddy pair, you guys tell me? I actually found the sound of my medium priced ear buds (for my MP3 player) to be better, but have no way to control their volume. I wrote to DetectorPro to see if they could shed some light on it too.
They are probably the nicest, sturdy, quality feeling, and comfortable phones I have ever put on, but sound is more important..
Again, I may just be such a beginner that I am wanting a range of sound that I dont need with MD'ing, I hope you guys can help. I would hate for my wife to dish out $126 for a pair of phones that are faulty.

SS

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair of Black Widows and you can check the out going volume on the detector to see if it isn't to low. But if you inserted the plug all the way into the jack, and the sound is still weak or tinny, suggest you call Detector Pro about exchanging them for another pair. Mine are very loud at normal threshold that I need to turn them down. Keep us informed..........

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Tinny"? You may not have the switches in the right positions. What is the detector? I love mine and they open up my Minelab Musky and Fisher F75.

But they won't turn a bad signal source into the Boston Philharmonic.

PS - plug them into your home stereo. Mine do justice to ELP & Pink Floyd.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Hey Silver go to radio shack and get their inline volume control, it should work with the earbuds. Just plug it in between the detector and the earbuds.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
"Tinny"? You may not have the switches in the right positions. What is the detector? I love mine and they open up my Minelab Musky and Fisher F75.

But they won't turn a bad signal source into the Boston Philharmonic.

PS - plug them into your home stereo. Mine do justice to ELP & Pink Floyd.
Switch is in the right position... If it isnt, there isnt any sound at all... I am liking them more, now that I am getting used to them. The second time out, I just didnt like the sound, and the silence between signals.. I am used to always hearing that loud hum, but if I cranked my MXT up to get that hum, then I about lost eardrums when I hit a shallow signal.. I turned the MXT down until I could only faintly think I heard a buzz, and now they dont blast me out, and the "falsing" seems to be almost non-existent.. I guess I was just expecting this glorious sound to come out of a single tone machine jut due to a spendy pair of phones.. I was thinking as an audiophile and not a metal detector.. Back to that same day, I went back to my truck, pulled out my old pair, and within 10 minutes I was cursing how much like shiat they sounded and how much falsing was going on with them... I went back to the BW's, and found coins and very small pieces of aluminum cans at 8+ inches that still sounded loud compared to the old phones... With them, it would have been a very faint tone..
I think I am going to love them..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sqwaby said:
Hey Silver go to radio shack and get their inline volume control, it should work with the earbuds. Just plug it in between the detector and the earbuds.
I used my Ultimate Ears a few times, and the volume was never a problem. They worked well, very well in fact, but the very thin, non-coiled, short cord attaching them was going to break if I continued to use them. They hooked onto everything since they were so light and straight.. That is why I quit using them for MD'ing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread