Machine for saltwater - Pulse induction pros and cons?

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With pulse detectors you have to dig it all! Unless you are hunting a very clean beach that is pounded by many on a daily basis I would stay away. A person never truly understands how much metal is in the ground until they use a PI. The bottom line is figure out if where you plan to hunt is suited for a pulse detector. If it's not, good bye money and hello frustration. I know for my area an Excal would smoke any PI 7 days a week with two hunts on Sunday because of how much better use the Minelab guy would make of his time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch is correct, a PI will have you digging deep for bobbypins and tiny pieces of iron. The Minelab Excal nulls on iron (momentary loss of threshold) and yet will still report on a gold ring by the iron.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch and Treasure_Hunter are right about the digging all the iron and some of it is deep too. The JW Fisher pulse is a real bear when it comes to finding the tiniest piece of wire too as it has less complex circuits than even the PI's from White's, Garrett and Tesoro. Your lots better off with a Excal as it doesn't waste your time digging small iron hairpins and such.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread